AMD announces FreeSync 2

But you still get the cons of V.Sync, which is still added latency, V.Sync can also half your fps in an instant, forcing you out of FreeSync range. This will make you stutter unless you have LFC.
Only below frequency. There is no v-sync within frequency and above it discards frames.
So, this is not the ideal solution, the best one would be: a Riva Tuner fps cap (adds the lowest latency possible) + FreeSync + LFC. Some games have a solid fps cap built in, which can be used in place of the Riva Tuner cap.
See above.

Only below frequency. There is no v-sync within frequency and above it discards frames.
Nope, this is not an adaptive v.sync mode, a regular v.sync will not disengage below refresh rate. Even on a freesync or gsync monitor. It's how V.Sync has always operated, in fact in the comments section people have found contradictory results to what Roberts is saying. You also see it in the video, V.Sync on + FreeSync has an astronomical latency compared to any other solution.

I will repost the video with adjusted timing to when the comparison is made.

Nope, this is not an adaptive v.sync mode, a regular v.sync will not disengage below refresh rate. Even on a freesync or gsync monitor. It's how V.Sync has always operated, in fact in the comments section people have found contradictory results to what Roberts is saying. You also see it in the video, V.Sync on + FreeSync has an astronomical latency compared to any other solution.
ok if he's wrong then that's too bad, sounded like the ideal setup.

ok if he's wrong then that's too bad, sounded like the ideal setup.
I think he maybe talking about some monitors which have a freesync range lower than the maximum refresh rate of the monitor, like a 144Hz monitor operating on a FreeSync range of 40Hz : 75 Hz. But even then, v.sync latency would still be unavoidable.

I don't see anything FreeSync 2 (or even FreeSync) related in that?
my bad, you`re right. I added this monitor because it is curved but didn't realise it isn't a freesync monitor, which makes it pointless in this thread.

True, But a driver frame cap is still relatively a crude way to handle the problem:

-You will have to set the cap below the monitor refresh rate. As it's not 100% accurate so If you set it exactly at the monitor's refresh rate it can still go up beyond it and introduce Tearing.
-The cap will introduce a small additional latency penalty, since you are rendering below your refresh rate, and also introducing a slight driver overhead.

The Adaptive V.Sync technique will avoid both problems, no tearing and no latency penalty. You also enjoy maximum fps in accordance with your monitor's refresh rate. It's the right way of handling the problem.

I found this comprehensive video comparing different methods of adaptive refresh rates and how they handle this problem specifically: FreeSync, G.Sync, AMD fps cap, Riva Tuner fps cap, NV Inspector cap, and the integrated game fps cap.

That is actually a super interesting video. I use AMD's FRTC because I don't have a Freesync monitor so the video is even more illustrating. That being said, I think a mod could move this part of the discussion to the PC Hardware, Software and Displays forum because there is a thread focused on Freesync and similar technologies and this discussion suits it very nicely.

... a regular v.sync will not disengage below refresh rate. Even on a freesync or gsync monitor....

Roberts is saying. You also see it in the video, V.Sync on + FreeSync has an astronomical latency compared to any other solution.

The VSync delay is only there when going > max refresh rate, which then "enables" VSync.

When under the refresh rate (capped @ 142 vs 144) the input delay was basically non-existent (even slightly faster on shortest delay), so within margin of error.

Its only when you go above the max refresh rate that you get the VSync delay. So yes, if you are playing near the max refresh rate all the time, you might want to use another method so you don't get some frames with input lag and others w/o. But if you are playing at say 100fps on a 144hz monitor, using Freesync + VSync will have 0 input lag, and vsync will only truly be active if you go into a menu or something which bumps the FPS up to 144+.

But yes, if you are going in and out of the max hz range, you'll want to use an in game limiter, or RTSS and avoid FRTC/Nvidia inspector/VSync.

If you aren't going near the max range, VSync is fine and the easiest (No external software required) and won't introduce any input lag since you'll never go over the max hz and it won't really be enabled anyway.

Discussions about refresh rates with freesync need to use better language. If someone says below refresh rate, is that below max or below min? It creates confusion.

Discussions about refresh rates with freesync need to use better language. If someone says below refresh rate, is that below max or below min? It creates confusion.

I was talking about below the max which would put you into the adaptive-sync range. Once you hit the minimum you should hit LFC which would then frame double and put you back into the adaptive-sync range.

I was talking about below the max which would put you into the adaptive-sync range. Once you hit the minimum you should hit LFC which would then frame double and put you back into the adaptive-sync range.
I wasn't specifically calling you out, just a statement in general. Some previous discussions weren't overly accurate in this regard.

Im here still waiting for a Monitor with 1k nits of max brightness and 0.5 nits of minimum. And of course 100% of P3. and why not with just 1080p resolutions and under 500 bucks.

Am I asking for too much?

So if I am understanding this correctly it is basically FastSync (above refresh) + Adaptive(no)Sync (below refresh). Should be great for twitch/competitive gamers without the need for a special monitor.

Huh? how can you see any of that (differences) on the <240 Hz monitor you're watching the ~30Hz youtube video?

Last edited:
Huh? how can you see any of that (differences) on the <240 Hz monitor you're watching the ~30Hz youtube video?

Because it is in super slow motion and in no way representative of what you can actually discern. I'm sceptical about any worthwile benefit above 100hz from my own experience with a 144hz monitor.

One thing I'm intrigued by is the possible relationship between the upcoming HDMI 2.1 VRR standard and FreeSync over HDMI. Imagine if connecting a FreeSync-capable Radeon card to an HDMI 2.1 VRR-capable TV just worked.

Back