Best 4K HDR TV's for One X, PS4 Pro [2017-2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hdr is a different display mode on the tv, so white balance, chromacity, luminance may not match even if you're on the same input. You need to find the tv settings that are closest to reference or calibrate.

Dolby vision movies are mastered for 4000 nits peak, I think. Hdr10 movies can be mastered for 1000 or 4000.

For games, I'm not really sure how it would work.

At least gamma seems to be greatly simplified with hdr.

Oh dear the price. I see. Only absolute top of the line. So in 1-2 years time they should be more affordable with newer models in the 2K nits range.
Interesting

This and your expressed desire for HDMI 2.1 VRR functionality should be nudging you very powerfully in a certain direction right now, one that doesn't involve you spending a bunch of money now on things that aren't going to support that. :p

ughhh... this tone mapping shit is killing me.
Are there TVs yet that can reach reference? If not, I would I'm leaning towards not losing details vs getting clipped.

No display is going to touch 4000nits anytime soon so tonemapping is here to stay to some content.

For 1000nits, next year should be fine for not needing tonemapping on the oled side.

There is still not a very clear guideline on HDR implementation so even without tonemapping, you'll likely see variance in implementation of HDR across vendors.

I seem to have found setting to make my hdr games look really good. Really liking the end result on FFXV, UC4.
cant really show on phone caera captures, it captures like just 20% of whats on screen. For example I can see all shadow areas and sunlight areas in this shot on my TV and its beautiful 20170702_112506.jpg 20170702_112014.jpg 20170702_105048.jpg 20170702_113453.jpg 20170702_113324.jpg 20170702_104517.jpg 20170702_100353.jpg
But i am sure it will make my sdr games look bad. Goddammit !
I cant even see any way yet to save custom settings profiles. on my ku7000. Really need those.

also played some Forza 7 HDR 4k video from Gamersyde and damn it looks clean ! Also Planet Earth 2 Ep 1 in 4k HDR is WOW !

but clearly the best is native 4k hdr Andromeda on Ultra running on my laptop. I can see grains of sand on my Nomad tyres there !

Last edited:
http://hometheaterhifi.com/technical/technical-reviews/part-6-high-dynamic-range-hdr-current-issues/

Is a six part series, is really interesting and a good read. The last part is of good interest because of the reference monitor and its performance. Also it will make you look at rating's hdr peak brightness charts differently.

And it might make you rethink any potential Vizio purchase.

Yikes, such an eye opener to look at more than just peak brightness scores. Sets that behave like the Vizio are entirely backwards and broken from a HDR perspective.

The way that article describes HDR Content, what HDR content is and should be used for, also made a lot of sense without getting into technical terms.

This and your expressed desire for HDMI 2.1 VRR functionality should be nudging you very powerfully in a certain direction right now, one that doesn't involve you spending a bunch of money now on things that aren't going to support that. :p
B6 it is :)

If I need VRR I won't sell my PC lol, since I've lock stepped into gsync already.

I'm really torn apart between getting a FHD projector or a 4K TV.

I don't have a console yet (Will buy PS4 Pro when TLOU2 has a release date) so i plan on streaming from my PC, maybe using Steam Link or Moonlight for the RPI3. The thing is that my PC is only capable of 1080 (i've got a 1060 6GB that could get me to 4K but just lowering the settings a lot), so i worry it will look bad on a 4K TV. Also, i would like to have HDR but seeing that most manufactures are trying to deceive consumers with complicated terminology (HDR, HDR Mega, HDR Plus, HDRPro, HDR+, Supermega HDR) selling TVs that allow HDR signals but can't accurately reproduce them is kind of frustrating, just trying to find the right TV takes a lot of time.

So another option would be a FULL HD Projector, big screen, nice colours but more expensive than TVs (for the most part) and need very specific light conditions to get the best image. However, you get a 100" screen for around 800€ with a pretty good quality. Arrrggg i really don't know what to do.

B6 it is :)

If I need VRR I won't sell my PC lol, since I've lock stepped into gsync already.

The near black performance,the higher ABL limit and higher light out put on the B7 is worth it if the price is close. You miss out on 3D. Everything else is an improvement. But if the price is 1k apart or something like that, the B6 will do just fine.

I'm really torn apart between getting a FHD projector or a 4K TV.

I don't have a console yet (Will buy PS4 Pro when TLOU2 has a release date) so i plan on streaming from my PC, maybe using Steam Link or Moonlight for the RPI3. The thing is that my PC is only capable of 1080 (i've got a 1060 6GB that could get me to 4K but just lowering the settings a lot), so i worry it will look bad on a 4K TV. Also, i would like to have HDR but seeing that most manufactures are trying to deceive consumers with complicated terminology (HDR, HDR Mega, HDR Plus, HDRPro, HDR+, Supermega HDR) selling TVs that allow HDR signals but can't accurately reproduce them is kind of frustrating, just trying to find the right TV takes a lot of time.

So another option would be a FULL HD Projector, big screen, nice colours but more expensive than TVs (for the most part) and need very specific light conditions to get the best image. However, you get a 100" screen for around 800€ with a pretty good quality. Arrrggg i really don't know what to do.

Don't buy into 1080p in 2017 if you have any other choice even if the only other choice is to do nothing. If you have to buy something now, either buy something that you will not have a big problem economically, physically or philosophically replacing in a year or two or go big and buy the best that can be gotten. Anything in between is a wasted investment IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back