Nintendo Switch possible game ports? [NX] *spawn*

Liandry

Regular
Knowing what Switch will get Skyrim is it possible what it also can run Fallout 4? Because Fallout 4 graphically isn't so much better than Skyrim, IMO. What do you think?

Knowing what Switch will get Skyrim is it possible what it also can run Fallout 4? Because Fallout 4 graphically isn't so much better than Skyrim, IMO. What do you think?

No.
Switch is getting Skyrim from the PS360 era, so you should be asking if its getting Fallout 3.

Nintendo should cut a deal with Rockstar to get GTA V on the Switch. There are not many third party games that can really move the needle on Nintendo platforms, but I truly believe a quality port of GTA V would turn some heads. It is a game that could push a lot of people over the edge, and convince them to buy a Switch. Rumors have suggest a LA Noire port may be happening, and will land on Switch. That is great and all, but that game simply doesnt have near the following GTA does. I suppose any and all 360/PS3 remasters that are currently in development could potentially land on Switch. Maybe a Mass Effect Trilogy remaster that fixes the botched ending? That would be cool.

Would Switch storage speed be adequate for GTA5 :?: The PS360 versions dual streamed from the 8GB installation + optical drive. Presumably, there's a heavy CPU component to decompression on top of the rest of the engine operations, although there ought to be a lot more RAM to serve as a streaming buffer, so it might be a different issue.

Would Switch storage speed be adequate for GTA5 :?: The PS360 versions dual streamed from the 8GB installation + optical drive. Presumably, there's a heavy CPU component to decompression on top of the rest of the engine operations, although there ought to be a lot more RAM to serve as a streaming buffer, so it might be a different issue.

You answered your own question really, the difference between having only 512MB of ram compared to Switch having 3.2GB puts the advantage right back in Switch's court. On top of that, the internal memory and cartridges Switch uses will have far faster read time, and seek latency much lower than the optical drive in the 360. The combination of the hard drive and optical drive probably outpace the Switches read speeds, but again, when you have six times the ram capacity, it kind of doesn't matter.

Nintendo should cut a deal with Rockstar to get GTA V on the Switch.
That's true. This game makes a lot of sense for Switch. I've heard from a lot of people what if GTA 5 would be on Switch they will buy Switch for GTA 5 and GTA 5 again to play it on go.

What do you guys think about Doom port to Switch? It runs 1080p 60fps on PS4/XOne. XOne is 1,2 Tflops. Switch is 400 Gflops, so if Switch version will be 30fps its already will require 600 Gflops. So if assets will be reduced for 50% hat will be 400 Gflops, and visuals in game still will be good. Textures also need to be ower resolution to fit in 4 GB. For handheld mode game will run 720p.

What do you guys think about Doom port to Switch? It runs 1080p 60fps on PS4/XOne. XOne is 1,2 Tflops. Switch is 400 Gflops, so if Switch version will be 30fps its already will require 600 Gflops. So if assets will be reduced for 50% hat will be 400 Gflops, and visuals in game still will be good. Textures also need to be ower resolution to fit in 4 GB. For handheld mode game will run 720p.
Not a big deal but why are people still quoting Xbox One as having 1.2Tflops? That was before they did the upclock before it was even release almost 4 years ago..Xbox One is 1.3Tflops and Xbox One S is 1.4Tflops...

It's to put the Switch in the best possible light, even if it's not based in reality.

So lets look at this from a different perspective then. Instead of debating if a given current gen could be viable for a port to Switch, lets look at the 360/PS3 era. We know the Switch surpasses the 360/PS3 capabilities even in portable mode, so spruced up ports should be relatively painless. Publishers were willing to greenlight a plethora of 360/PS3 remasters for X1/PS4, so what is the hold up for Switch seeing as how technical limitations are not a hurdle for these games. Like @BRiT said, Fallout 4 might be out of the question but how about a Fallout 3 and New Vegas combo. Activision just recently released COD Modern Warfare Remaster, and it wouldn't have been all that difficult to spruce up the original content and release a Switch build. There are plenty of games from that era that were extremely popular, and would port easily enough, but will be see this happen? I doubt it to be honest. I believe publishers are skeptical that regardless of the userbase, the Switch audience just isn't likely to be interested in the same types of games that have enjoyed success on the PlayStation and Xbox consoles. There are certainly to be a few exceptions, and GTA V is the one game I would damn near guarantee success on Switch.

I briefly touched on this in the technical thread. But currently the Switch is viewed as a bit of a gamble by publishers. It's still too early to tell if it'll maintain its sales pace, for example. Although indications are good that the Switch should do significantly better than the Wii-U or Gamecube. If supply ever gets sorted out we may eventually get an idea of how well it'll do for the generation.

Secondly, Nintendo consoles have been rather risky for 3rd party publishers on the home console side of things, especially Western publishers. 3rd parties have done significantly better on their handhelds, but Western publishers haven't invested heavily into Nintendo handhelds unlike Japanese publishers.

So, the Switch represents a conundrum for Western Publishers. It's both handheld (3rd parties do well) and a home console (3rd parties don't do as well). Western developers have additionally struggled to find success on recent Nintendo home consoles. Combined with having little to no experience with handheld development, you can see why they would be reluctant to jump in right now.

That said. There are some publishers that are either embracing the Switch (UBIsoft, for instance) with new IP or tentatively testing the waters (Bethesda and EA, for instance) with ports of older games. How well these do combined with how well the Switch continues to sell will them impact budget decisions for the larger publishers on how much (or how little) to invest into developing games for the Switch or porting games to the Switch.

Regards,
SB

Testing waters with ports is such a bad idea.

And testing waters for an unproven console with a tiny userbase by making an exclusive game that won't be able to make money on any other platform is somehow a better idea?

I get that your comment is probably technical-related, but realistically if devs can't make money they'll lose their jobs.

Let me rephrase a little differently to better express what I said earlier, porting old games is such a bad idea, it will not match current gameplay/gfx expectations and people interested in it probably played it or watched it somewhere....
(And on the tech side the problem is similar, adapting an engine to another target is difficult at best, and with usual game ports time constraints just suicidal quality/performance wise.)

Porting a new game is less of an issue, but people interested in the game likely already got it so... (depends when the port is announced, and various other parameters though...)

Let me rephrase a little differently to better express what I said earlier, porting old games is such a bad idea, it will not match current gameplay/gfx expectations and people interested in it probably played it or watched it somewhere....

While this is certainly a reasonable opinion, but I believe Switch operates with a different expectation regarding gfx. Old ports, especially updated ports of PS3/360 games may make sense if the pricing and sales expectations are in line. Capcom is porting Resident Evil Revelations 1&2 to Switch releasing later this year. Pricing is correct at $20 each, and as long as Capcom isn't expecting more than 500k in sales, they are viable for the platform. There is a plethora of titles that could follow suit. Batman Return to Arkam, and Assassinds Creed Ezio Collection are examples.

I disagree. Those games have been released on just about every platform already so anyone interested in playing them most likely would have already played them on some platform in the past 5+ years. Yeah maybe they can sell a couple of 100k but what does that tell publishers other than they might be able to make a quick buck on rehashing old games? If I was a Switch owner I'd be much more inclined to buy new games or ports of recent games as I've already played the older games and if I didn't I could most likely buy them for a couple of bucks during a Steam sale.

Back