Best 4K HDR TV's for One X, PS4 Pro [2017-2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still haven't seen an hdr game. I'm pretty curious. Wondering how many games really take advantage of hdr and how they're designed around handling people with displays that have aggressive tone mappping. I'm curious enough to have an urge to spend thousands of dollars, but luckily enough I have the sense and willpower not to do it right now.

Like with movies, some games really look spectacular in HDR, while others not so much.

I found Deus Ex, Injustice 2, Resogun to be the best examples, off top of my head. I'm sure there's more.

While, ironically, Horizon not such a huge difference, probably because it already looked so good. Or maybe because by the time I put it on, I'd already got the platinum so didn't delve too deep. Same for Uncharted, where the only difference was the super bright explosions, really.

Wow, the UH6500 and UH6100 have an HDR peak brightness of 350-400 cd/m2 in a 10% window. I wouldn't be surprised if the tone-mapping curve basically just clips and you end up with a presentation that looks almost exactly like SDR. With such a low peak brightness, if they tone map by shifting everything else to a lower luminescence to preserve the highlights, the APL is going to be very low and it'll just be dark looking.

My set only does 350 bright and the colors are massively different vs HDR. Pretty large difference.

Here's pic I took and cropped, Forza Horizon demo in HDR, old non HDR 1080P set on top new 4k/HDR bottom. Maybe you would just call the bottom overstaturated, I dont know. Look at the sky blueness or rock redness.

That's also cell phone pic. In person the difference is much more pronounced.

At the time I didn't know you can turn HDR off on the console level, so I can make comparisons on the same display. Difference is just as big or greater on the same TV.

Last edited:
I still haven't seen an hdr game. I'm pretty curious. Wondering how many games really take advantage of hdr and how they're designed around handling people with displays that have aggressive tone mappping. I'm curious enough to have an urge to spend thousands of dollars, but luckily enough I have the sense and willpower not to do it right now.
You sir needs to first go to Gamersyde to download some HDR clips of various games they have recently uploaded onto an USB key then go to your local AV store, stick it into your HDR tv of choice (preferably Z9D
the best ever HDR TV currently
, Sony A1E, C7 Oled, KS9800) then see for yourself. Make sure the TV's UHD color, HDR settings are all turned on of course. Once you go HDR, your eyes go bananas:).
http://gamersyde.com/news_ps4_pro_4k_hdr_videos-19292_en.html

Last edited:
My set only does 350 bright and the colors are massively different vs HDR. Pretty large difference.

Here's pic I took and cropped, Forza Horizon demo in HDR, old non HDR 1080P set on top new 4k/HDR bottom. Maybe you would just call the bottom overstaturated, I dont know. Look at the sky blueness or rock redness.

That's also cell phone pic. In person the difference is much more pronounced.

At the time I didn't know you can turn HDR off on the console level, so I can make comparisons on the same display. Difference is just as big or greater on the same TV.

YEa thats the kindof pics friends have been sending me over Whatsapp for KU7000 and UH650t. THe difference in colours and contrast too. Horizon contrast also changes a lot.
@orangpelupa I will chk out for myself on KU7000 once mine arrives. I can ask my friends to send settings they use for the UH650t

Those pics don't look different because of hdr. They look different because one badly needs to be calibrated, assuming the picture looks the way it does on your tv.

Enlighten of these HDR issues, does Dolby Vision assist with standardizing these problems/ is HDR10 the issue?

Or is it a per panel issue ?

Enlighten of these HDR issues, does Dolby Vision assist with standardizing these problems/ is HDR10 the issue?

Or is it a per panel issue ?

Basically it's the certification problem.

HDR 10 only requires the TV to able to receive HDR. Dolby vision have more strict requirements but still allows shitty display to use the logo.

HDR Premium logo or something, is the actual HDR.

I already have concerns about what a 900p or even 1080p game would look like on a 4K TV but now we have HDR as well. How do non-HDR games look on a HDR TV?

I already have concerns about what a 900p or even 1080p game would look like on a 4K TV but now we have HDR as well. How do non-HDR games look on a HDR TV?
Games are already HDR. The difference is is in the tone-mapping, so games won't look any different to what they do now.

Your concern isn't warranted. Any TV that has the ability to do even OK HDR will be able to do an excellent job on SDR content. My $380 Hisense TV, that I'm looking to replace, does a great job when viewing SDR content. It has judder when viewing 24p content, but that's unrelated.

so I received my pro as well as ku7000 and all I can say is that I am flabbergasted: when I play Horizon i can just wee bit difference between HDR and sdr. when I play last of Us i couldn't make out any difference.
then I played RNC and it looked faded in hdr and better in sdr -_-

Then I played NEX Machina and again: faded in HDR and beautiful in SDR.

also menus look faded when I come out of a game .

I have no idea what's going on. my hdr is on in tv .....ps4 says it is outputting hdr.
I am pretty dumbfounded

Sent from my SM-N920G using Tapatalk

Don't worry, they just look like they would normally look on a normal TV. But when you do add HDR, a game looks much more.. deep. If that's the right word. It's like adding a layer of reality to the whole image, through colours and brightness.

so I received my pro as well as ku7000 and all I can say is that I am flabbergasted: when I play Horizon i can just wee bit difference between HDR and sdr. when I play last of Us i couldn't make out any difference.
then I played RNC and it looked faded in hdr and better in sdr -_-

Then I played NEX Machina and again: faded in HDR and beautiful in SDR.

also menus look faded when I come out of a game .

I have no idea what's going on. my hdr is on in tv .....ps4 says it is outputting hdr.
I am pretty dumbfounded

Stupid question...But.. Do all of your HDMI inputs support HDR or only one (if so did you plug the PS4 in the right one?)

it's in the right input. and it seems it was some issue with the wire . I changed the wire and it seems to have gone away for now.

FFXV displays HdR really well and wow how beautiful that becomes!
but here is a weird issue: Horizon, LOU and UC4 become less saturated in HDR. I switch to sdr and they all lose the range of bright clear highlights but become nice and saturated. Switch to HDR and they get those highlights but lose saturation ! I can't fathom why this happens.

does not happen in FFXV at all. :-/ it display nice colours in hdr and in fact so damn pretty !

I cannot test this thing in RnC and No man's sky as they do not give me an option to turn off HDR to test.

can anyone guide me around this cos losing saturation makes them dull but damn that contrat range is nice in hdr. and I don't understand why it would lose colours ......and ffxv doesnt.

ughhh... this tone mapping shit is killing me.
Are there TVs yet that can reach reference? If not, I would I'm leaning towards not losing details vs getting clipped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back