AMD Vega 10, Vega 11, Vega 12 and Vega 20 Rumors and Discussion

As far as you know* or as you know for a fact? Remember, people also knew that SK Hynix would not have 8-GiByte HMB gen2 stacks.

*which would be what I also assumed until now.

As far as you know* or as you know for a fact? Remember, people also knew that SK Hynix would not have 8-GiByte HMB gen2 stacks.

*which would be what I also assumed until now.
As far as I know. Micron was no.1 critic of HBM and never announced its manufacturing.

Micron hasn't said a word about manufacturing HBM or HBM2 memories and has in fact badmouthed HBM compared to their HMC, so I find it more plausible explanation that GPU-Z reads the manufacturer wrong for one reason or another.
The public catalogs of memory manufacturers shouldn't really be used as reference

entity279: I agree, that similar impact seems to be unlikely, but…

*sigh* some food for thought:
• AMD had no presence in the high end the generation before. R8500 competed with GF3 (TI 500), not GF4. Similarly, Polaris 10 was no match for GP104 full_config and up.
• AMD has new GFX IP (partially in common with new gaming consoles) which enables (and leverages) special optimizations
• Will be the functional foundation for a couple of generations compared to the rather incremental updates between GCN1-4

*sigh* some food for thought:
• AMD had no presence in the high end the generation before. R8500 competed with GF3 (TI 500), not GF4. Similarly, Polaris 10 was no match for GP104 full_config and up.
• Will be the functional foundation for a couple of generations compared to the rather incremental updates between GCN1-4
Will Vega be a match for 1080? (see above for power usage)
Do you suggest that Vega is not GCN-X, but a new/different arch?

It's still GCN but it's improved on pretty much all fronts and has new ISA
2 8-pin power connectors vs 1080 ... who said power hungry?
According to AMD it could have been done with 8+6pin too, at least for the air cooled version. Better safe than sorry probably considering the fuss over RX 480

Vega is arguably the greatest incremental improvement of GCN yet, not only focussing on performance but on functionality as well. Whatever it's internal branding apart from GFX IP 9 may be - GCN will suffice for external use I guess.

As to performance: Since I do not have a board at hand, I won't make general statements/assumptions (and that's also why I wrote "impact" and not "performance" in the R300 analogy). I am quite confident though, that Vega will be able to perform at least on par with 1080 TI in certain scenarios (and no, I do not mean canned benchmarks were essentially the level of intentional driver-crippling is shown as in ViewPerf)

First benchmark run from that guy

9e9b9c403e368ba97ff818ec42203033bedec0734972d84317c0a59e4aec1c94.jpg

Edit: Link http://www.3dmark.com/fs/12987144

9500 Pro's didn't mod to 9700 Pro, 9500's did (if they had the memories in "L" pattern around the chip instead of one row like 9500 Pro)

My memory has failed me here, you're right! I had both non-Pro and Pro hence easy to misremember.

AMD are going to have a rough month leading up to SIGGRAPH. They knew this though with their decision to lead with the FE.

AMD are going to have a rough month leading up to SIGGRAPH. They knew this though with their decision to lead with the FE.
One free advice to AMD marketing team. Next time, give the card to professional websites. Even if the product is not perfect, you can brief them with reviewer guide and direct support. Damage control 101.
Today, its the worst nightmare that happens. A random guy get the card and hurry up to publish a 3DMark number, only God knows with what kind of software and hardware setup. But the only thing people will remember from Vega launch is "meh its not faster than 1080"
Not Well done AMD...

One free advice to AMD marketing team. Next time, give the card to professional websites. Even if the product is not perfect, you can brief them with reviewer guide and direct support. Damage control 101.
Today, its the worst nightmare that happens. A random guy get the card and hurry up to publish a 3DMark number, only God knows with what kind of software and hardware setup. But the only thing people will remember from Vega launch is "meh its not faster than 1080"
Not Well done AMD...
It's even worse than that:

Sorry it took time but never used wattman for those cards

FireStrike test in game mode (pro mode does not make sense), frequency on GPU all over the place, I am trying to hard set it to 1600 and on the next run, as of now score is not impressive. But colud be my fault.

guys, let me try to set it correctly as i never used Wattman and this card is fresh in. I am running as well just 550W PSU which could be problem as well. I keep trying
Uncontrolled release leading with FE and providing unfinished gaming drivers as well, crazy. And we have a month of this yet?

Last edited:
well, it's a good bit faster than Fury X, but, given the clocks it's not impressive, feels like no efficiency gain, so it's probably not the real potential of it?

that benchmark might not be representative... still, this launch is really strange.

Back