Microsoft XBOX (XBox One X / Project Scorpio) - Prerelease News and Rumours

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is one of those statements you really don't want to be true. If you're supersampling your super-high-res game, you're being horrifcally inefficient. Reconstructive AA is already incredible. Smart shaders that compute properly sampled give better results than brute-forcing. 2x pixels drawn is the idiots way to getting IQ. The same GPU effort could get better IQ and better art. However, if it's just a case of spiking in low loads (looking at the sky box) than it doesn't really matter. Just a side effect of the load balancing. Can't see the point myself other than Internet-destroying PR. Why have moment of 1.2x supersampling when most of the game is native 4k? Why no cap it and give the GPU a breather? ;)

At this point, it's probably not worth investing too much time, money into Titanfall 2. I'm sure it still has a decent player base, but all of the DLC is free, so it's probably not making much money anymore. I have no real issue with this for a game that's going to be a year old by the time One X comes out.

I dont know, 4K with Dyanmic Superscaling they call it, but again, I agree with Shifty. They could use the extra gpu time for other things, or simple MSAA plus something else.
To be clear, they say it scales down to keep 60 fps. That's what the tech is for. The only difference is they don't cap it and allow it to render higher res and downsample. This will certainly keep workload more constant and may help with timing and stuff. The mentioning of 6k is just a bit daft, as people will likely run with it while the game isn't rendering (the proper, full game) anything like. Average res is, I'm guessing, slightly below 4k because that's why they use dynamic scaling for the times it drops. There'll just be some freak cases where you can it at super duper high res when it's got time to fill and nothing to draw with the current scene.

Just that it's just gotta be some silly non-taxing view (ala Shifty's example) that makes it utterly meaningless.

Even so, they'd be better off spending the extra power on bringing in the PC quality settings.
Could just be a work in progress, a first port, I don't think the patch is necessarily finalized yet.

Well, you hope they'll make good decisions on there. :p

They'll have some boost to pixel/z fillrate, so they could go with better shadows...

Even so, they'd be better off spending the extra power on bringing in the PC quality settings.
Most of the time it's 4K or below. No room for better quality settings (if there are any). It's only fringe cases where its supersampled. Unless you want them to load in super ultra ultimate superior settings for 1/8th of a second for the volumetric clouds and ray-traced diamonds when gazing?

The way I see it is the X1X has the ability to easily run X1 games with higher poly counts and better draw distances in most cases. The problem is mostly only 1st party games like Gears 4 will take advantage of this ability when it comes to old titles getting updates. Games that are play anywhere will be more likely to feature true setting upgrades because it requires less effort from the devs. 3rd party games will most likely receive a only resolution and framerate improvements when it comes to old titles getting X1X updates.

The way I see it is the X1X has the ability to easily run X1 games with higher poly counts and better draw distances in most cases. The problem is mostly only 1st party games like Gears 4 will take advantage of this ability when it comes to old titles getting updates. Games that are play anywhere will be more likely to feature true setting upgrades because it requires less effort from the devs. 3rd party games will most likely receive a only resolution and framerate improvements when it comes to old titles getting X1X updates.

I think this was expected though..

To be clear, they say it scales down to keep 60 fps. That's what the tech is for. The only difference is they don't cap it and allow it to render higher res and downsample. This will certainly keep workload more constant and may help with timing and stuff. The mentioning of 6k is just a bit daft, as people will likely run with it while the game isn't rendering (the proper, full game) anything like. Average res is, I'm guessing, slightly below 4k because that's why they use dynamic scaling for the times it drops. There'll just be some freak cases where you can it at super duper high res when it's got time to fill and nothing to draw with the current scene.
your overall point may be accurate but your making some sweeping statements and applying it here.
we have no idea if it ever drops bellow 4k.
there's plenty of games (going by DF) where they was unable to find a resolution drop even though the game implements a dynamic res.

if an engine already implements dynamic res, why bother switch it off even if it never drops, probably because the min is close to the target res. Anyway.
so the min res not average could very well be 4k for all we know, and it dynamically scales up. or very rarely dips bellow 4k not the average being 4k.
we also don't know if that's at XO settings or not.

your overall point may be accurate but your making some sweeping statements and applying it here.
we have no idea if it ever drops bellow 4k.
there's plenty of games (going by DF) where they was unable to find a resolution drop even though the game implements a dynamic res.

if an engine already implements dynamic res, why bother switch it off even if it never drops, probably because the min is close to the target res. Anyway.
so the min res not average could very well be 4k for all we know, and it dynamically scales up. or very rarely dips bellow 4k not the average being 4k.
we also don't know if that's at XO settings or not.
Fair point. I was forgetting it was cross platform.

edit: Except from the Reddit it was implied it does drop below:
Native 4K, dynamic resolution scaling to maintain 60hz, and dynamic superscaling for maximum crispyness when possible.
So there was reason for my lower res point. ;)

Either way its really impressive considering the resolution the base x1 version runs on the DF Faceoff. And they are implementing superscaling because it is going above 4k at a not insignificant amount of time. Maybe not 6k but probably above 4k.

If it renders at 6k internally and is shown at 4k, can they still claim to use uncompressed pixels? Making a full pixel and a half fit inside just one seems pretty compressed to me....

jus sayin'

If it renders at 6k internally and is shown at 4k, can they still claim to use uncompressed pixels? Making a full pixel and a half fit inside just one seems pretty compressed to me....

jus sayin'

The uncompressed pixels thing actually made sense in the context it was removed from. It was a reference to how all 4k sources, like streaming video and bluray are compressed, and the only "uncompressed" source is games running at native resolution.

Most of the time it's 4K or below. No room for better quality settings (if there are any). It's only fringe cases where its supersampled. Unless you want them to load in super ultra ultimate superior settings for 1/8th of a second for the volumetric clouds and ray-traced diamonds when gazing?

It's great hype for X1X though, the muckrackers can run sensationalist youtube videos about it, "omg X1X so powerful it's running TF2 in 6K".

jus sayin'
going by their definition http://www.xbox.com/en-us/xbox-one-x
True 4K
True 4K gaming, where action is brought to life with 2160p frame buffers, and 6 Teraflops of graphical processing power.
they can't call it true 4k, as its not using a 2160 frame buffer.:runaway:

also hope that clears up that true 4k is defined by frame buffer and isn't just a new word for native.

going by their definition http://www.xbox.com/en-us/xbox-one-x

they can't call it true 4k, as its not using a 2160 frame buffer.:runaway:

also hope that clears up that true 4k is defined by frame buffer and isn't just a new word for native.

Pretty meaningless then, because if that's "True 4K", then what about it makes it "True" and what is not "True 4K", The One S upscaling to 4K?

I hope you understand that that if that is really their definition it just makes the term more stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back