Hunt: Showdown. Crytek is alive and they are cooking something.

Wolcen looks really good with its Voxel GI.
VXGI is rather expensive though. I'm sure Wolcen can benefit from it due to its restrained view? We do have more powerful hardware nowadays though.

VXGI is rather expensive though. I'm sure Wolcen can benefit from it due to its restrained view? We do have more powerful hardware nowadays though.

I can not say much about this. To my knowledge it also depends on the content since this technique probably works best in free areas and not indoor spaces.

Spacial distance voice communications, really love that for this type of game and adds to the realism and immersion. Have many games done actual character distance voice communications before?

Spacial distance voice communications, really love that for this type of game and adds to the realism and immersion. Have many games done actual character distance voice communications before?

There are some indie multiplayer survival type games that have tried it to some degree. You see them occasionally pop up in Twitch streams.

Regards,
SB

I watched the "nope-spider" video linked up there, and damn, this game looks like great fun, and looks great too in general. But I'd also like me some singleplayer action, I don't know lots of people who like to play these games, and gaming with rando strangers - and especially with voice comms - relly doesn't appeal to me. I know one guy who's a gamer, but he wasn't particularly captured by this game, unfortunately. We'll see.

So far all we've seen is one boss monster, and a hint at another at the end of that video. Not much content yet?

OK, watching Bikeman's stream of this at the moment and I have to say the game looks good. At night it is incredibly creepy. Darkness combined with thunder and lightning is extremely well done. Unfortunately queues for night time play are very very long since the small pool of people with access to the Alpha build prefer daytime play (less creepy, easier to see, etc.)

Also cool is that there are 2 forms of progressions. Character progression and Account (Bloodlines) progression.

There is also perma death. If one of your characters dies in a mission, that character is gone forever. 50th level character with a lot of points invested into it? Gone forever if you die while on that character.

You will be able to "retire" characters and gain exp. towards your Bloodline progression (also earned per mission).

I love that as it gives some weight to the combat while not completely dicking you over by losing all of your progress. Sure you lose progress on that character, but you still gain progress on your Bloodline. Simultaneously once you've got some investment in a character, you're not going to want to be super reckless. Hopefully that leads to people playing a bit more "realistically" by actually trying to stay alive.

Even PUBG doesn't have that level of investment in a character that could be gone if you aren't careful. IE - losing 15-20 minutes of progress versus losing hours or days or weeks of progress.

Reloading is time consuming and methodical, again leading towards more careful and thoughtful play. I don't do competitive multiplayer much anymore as my reflexes are slow enough now that I'm old that it annoys me. The slower pace of this game looks like it may allow my slower reactions to not be too much of a detriment.

That said. Creepy spider boss makes me not want to play the game. :p

Regards,
SB

Playing closed beta test of this. Graphics are fantastic, excellent lighting and effects. Zero graphics options in beta and likely texture detail is cut down for size. The game itself is going to rely on friends playing as teams. Only a few games played so far but either the other team finds the target and banishes them before I can discover anything or the other team kills me. Will require good team play with people who don't just run off shooting at everything they see.

Ah, okay. Is it optional permadeath, or is it enforced? Because if you can't escape it then I don't need to bother with this game, because I have no time for nonsense like that.
Escape? If you die during a mission then you're dead. Also when the banishment is done, you have 5 minutes to escape the zone otherwise I believe you die as well.

Escape? If you die during a mission then you're dead.
What I mean is, cheat death somehow. Play in a game mode where death isn't perma, like virtually any other online multiplayer game. Because like I said, no patience for a game where the other team could go in for hunting me first ahead of the objective, and then go kill the objective as well once I am dead. Where is the fun in that (for me)? Especially if I lose a character with progress on it.

What I mean is, cheat death somehow. Play in a game mode where death isn't perma, like virtually any other online multiplayer game. Because like I said, no patience for a game where the other team could go in for hunting me first ahead of the objective, and then go kill the objective as well once I am dead. Where is the fun in that (for me)? Especially if I lose a character with progress on it.
I'm not sure, played very little of it so far. I guess it's meant to be considered "hardcore" for pvp and if you play the opponent rather than the objective then it's more unlikely you'll win as there's no way to know where the opposing team is.

Back