Sony VR Headset/Project Morpheus/PlayStation VR

The game was never going to be a typical FPS game, in the sense of how it limits movement. However, I think a more successful game could probably have made good use of teleportation as a core feature of the game in order to be able to focus on the core shooting experience, which should be excellent if I look at how great the shooting gallery mode is already in Playstation VR World's London Heist part. Those use handguns though and the Move controllers themselves already feel pretty good for that, if I'm honest. Above all I am interested in how accurate the shooting is with it, and then just hope that it will be widely supported in the future. Apparently there are five titles announced now?

Sony should have the guts to get a big studio to do something for it, even if just a small thing. An Uncharted or Killzone Horde Mode endless wave of enemies downloadable title, or something like that. A Time Crisis remake (or that Die Hard Trilogy game was also an awesome experience). Or something original, etc.

Anyway, the Playroom VR got another game in there, which is pretty cool as well. My son had his birthday party yesterday, and as the outside thing we planned fell through (there was a new eSports gym thing just opened, but they cancelled on us a few days before the party), I setup all the big party games I still have, and VR Playroom and Rockband 3 (with drums, mic on a mic stand, keytar, guitar, and a pro guitar) both offered 5 player experiences and were a great hit. :)

Thanks for the feedback on Farpoint. I was tempted to get a nice deal from GAME with PSVR + Resident Evil + Farpoint for the normal price of PSVR alone. Since I'm not sure I would survive Resident Evil in VR and was counting on Farpoint to be the game to play (and maybe sell Resident Evil), I guess you saved me a bit of money with that review :D

The game was never going to be a typical FPS game, in the sense of how it limits movement.

What do you mean? The whole point of Farpoint was to make a traditional first person shooter in VR. Not limiting player movement was pretty much the primary goal of the developers. It's precicely why the gun peripheral exists. They pulled off that part quite well, too.

Really nice deal on the Days of Play. PSVR + Camera + VRWorlds + Farpoint for £349.99. I'm getting it :D

How is the quality of the provided earphones by the way? Is it nice?

Last edited:
This is a couple of days old already, but the news is PSVR already surpassed 1 million sales:

http://time.com/4804768/playstation-4-ps4-pro-psvr-sales/

To put that into context.

915,000 units sold in the first 4 months (as of Feb. 20).

Almost 4 months later, Sony announce they have finally sold over 1 million units (start of June).

It's Rift and Vive redux, just on a larger scale. Most of the sales happening in the first few months and then just a trickle after. The other possible explanation is that for 4 months they weren't able to manufacture more than a couple hundred PSVR headsets a month. :p

Regards,
SB

To put that into context.

915,000 units sold in the first 4 months (as of Feb. 20).

Almost 4 months later, Sony announce they have finally sold over 1 million units (start of June).

It's Rift and Vive redux, just on a larger scale. Most of the sales happening in the first few months and then just a trickle after. The other possible explanation is that for 4 months they weren't able to manufacture more than a couple hundred PSVR headsets a month. :p

Regards,
SB

That tells me that PSVR needs a price cut or nice bundles. I went to get mine on Friday on that nice bundle and by the end of the day they did not have any anymore. I'll have to wait a few days for new stock. I was not the only person looking to get one either. I guess there will be a lot of demand if they decrease the price of entry.

To make things worse, the bundle only available in the US.

In Indonesia its Hella more expensive than US and there's only camera bundle.

In Japan, they don't even have enough stock.

That tells me that PSVR needs a price cut or nice bundles.

Or they need more software other than "experiences" that are much smaller than full games. Or of course the limiting factor might be that most people just dont want to be bothered to put all those contraptions with wires on their head to have fun.

I ordered mine on UK, the bundle is also available here.
aww so its the usual playstation asia shitty practice then. More expensive, less stuff.

glad games are published by Sony WW instead of PlayStation Asia. Sony WW games price always cheaper than physical, always cheaper than any other publisher.

Glad we're getting Doom VR (wish it was proper Doom, but I guess beggers can't be chosers) and Skyrim VR. Skyrim VR actually tickles my fancy a good deal more than Fallout VR. Simply because I haven't played it in ages. Until Dawn prequel is much appreciated as well.

OK finally got it... And I'm in awe :O
The image quality is miles ahead of HTC Vive for me! I cannot see any screen door effect at all. Tracking is OK, no major problems. Happier than I thought I would be!

After playing all demos included, my favourites are Wayward Sky (I'm probably got to buy it) and Battlezone. Also tried to play RE7 demo and nope nope nope, can't do it :/ Kitchen Demo is fine because you see the creature mostly from the start so you expect something to happen. But I can't endure the stress of the Unknown in the actual game demo.

I'm not a Call of Duty / Battlefield fan, but I have to wonder: what is stopping their publishers from adding VR? I'm sure it would be a big factor in driving VR sales given their popularity. Would it be because them expecting a backlash for its gun violence from the "games make people violent" stance group?

Probably don't work well in VR. They are tuned for controllers which aren't immersive and people seemed to get nauseated by the disassociation. You'd need a way to control the game with its pace, or more likely a bespoke solution that's tuned for VR, slower, more realistic, with a different interface. And why bother making that for an maximum audience of a few million when there's hundreds of millions of potential buyers for your normal game?

Back