Business Strategy and Retail Pricing for Xbox One X [2017] *spawn*

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's projected that there will be 60 million 4K TVs worldwide by the end of 2017. By the time the XBOX is two years old that number will be over 100 million.
Im Shocked that its that few. A guy from work, brought a 4k 55" TV for ~$540US last week, sure it wasnt a good brand but still its shocking how cheap theyve become

Im Shocked that its that few. A guy from work, brought a 4k 55" TV for ~$540US last week, sure it wasnt a good brand but still its shocking how cheap theyve become

I'm using the most conservative numbers. Sites like statistica puts the number of tvs worldwide at 100 million already.

Phil Spencer pretty much explains this fully in the Giant Bomb interview (thanks @mpg1 for the linking this originally) starting at around the 30:30 mark. He even mentions the Titan XP! :cool:

I have to admit that I am beginning to get annoyed by phil spencer . Not only isn't the x1x something special , with most titles being fake4k , but his "we signed some titles we can't announce " speech is embarrassing. You knew that you were coming with a 500$ console for, at least, 2 years and you are saying to us that you signed RECENTLY some games ?? I am seriously at a loss of words. He is a likeable and charismatic guy, just compare him with every other exec out there, but the damage control he has been doing is embarrassing . Maybe it's not his fault , maybe the higher us at MS don't provide the budget needed but come on !!!

Phil Spencer pretty much explains this fully in the Giant Bomb interview (thanks @mpg1 for the linking this originally) starting at around the 30:30 mark. He even mentions the Titan XP! :cool:

Found it to be a good interview.
They built a machine that can take XO games (at XO settings) and run them at native 4k, and 900P games by all accounts also if devs really want to put the extra work into it. At same but more stable framerate.

But would people really prefer for most games to run at native 4k at XO settings or, non native but with higher quality settings?
I remember when it was first announced, and they had to clarify that it wasn't mandated within a couple days, because of the fallout by people thinking dev's would be forced to use the power to do native 4k.

Now there's fallout because dev's are choosing to use the power via CBR, even though so far it seems to be 2160cb full framebuffer, which I also don't expect to last forever.
Even if AC:Origins could run at native 4k, do people really want XO settings just at 4k? Also their engine is built around CBR, and has been for a while now, just the way the industry is going.

They built a machine that can run XO games at native 4k, thank god dev's aren't doing that in lots of cases.

Edit: @Johnglen I know you really hate CB image quality. This wasn't directed directly at you, as you would probably prefer the native 4k with XO settings. I suspect you would be in the minority though, and it's the way engine development is going hopefully it will reach the IQ that is good enough for you sooner rather than later.

Last edited:
TBH I would prefer native 4k with high settings, for a console releasing at the end of 2017 with a 500$ price tag.
The thing is, even if it could do native high settings, the chances are that the studio would choose to do CBR at higher settings.

If you think it's over priced then, only thing I can say is we have to wait, once it's out lets see how something like FM7 looks, and compare it to cost of PC rig to run it at equivalent fidelity.
Swear even the minimum spec was an i5. Edit - reason I say that is because people sometimes think just need a cpu of equivalent power

Or 4k native multiplats on 4pro and 1X if you want to compare against consoles.

I have to admit that I am beginning to get annoyed by phil spencer . Not only isn't the x1x something special , with most titles being fake4k , but his "we signed some titles we can't announce " speech is embarrassing. You knew that you were coming with a 500$ console for, at least, 2 years and you are saying to us that you signed RECENTLY some games ?? I am seriously at a loss of words. He is a likeable and charismatic guy, just compare him with every other exec out there, but the damage control he has been doing is embarrassing . Maybe it's not his fault , maybe the higher us at MS don't provide the budget needed but come on !!!

Would you rather they show off a game like sony does like death stranding for 5 or 6 e3s ? MS has a bunch of great titles coming out over the next year. MS will show off more great titles next e3 that come out between e3 2018 and 2019 . I prefer seeing a game a year in advance instead of waiting half a decade for a title to launch.

You buy an xbox one x because you want the best editions of multiplatform games and you want the best console versions of crackdown , forza , gears , sea of thieves , state of decay and others.

The thing is, even if it could do native high settings, the chances are that the studio would choose to do CBR at higher settings.

If you think it's over priced then, only thing I can say is we have to wait, once it's out lets see how something like FM7 looks, and compare it to cost of PC rig to run it at equivalent fidelity.
Swear even the minimum spec was an i5. Edit - reason I say that is because people sometimes think just need a cpu of equivalent power

Or 4k native multiplats on 4pro and 1X if you want to compare against consoles.

you can't buy / build a pc for $500 that will play FM7 at the same settings as the xbox will be able too. Windows alone for the box will take up a fifth of the price. Maybe $1k would get you there

you can't buy / build a pc for $500 that will play FM7 at the same settings as the xbox will be able too. Windows alone for the box will take up a fifth of the price. Maybe $1k would get you there

What i don't like with those comparisons is that they don't compare the console price with the price of a standard pc. Most of the time, you have to build your pc yourself and look for the lowest prices on internet.

But the truth is that most people simply buy their pc in mainstream stores.

I never said you could buy a pc at $500.

what I said was see what sort of rig you will need to run FM7 at same fidelity, then it may change your view on the value of 1X and what a $500 console should be able to achieve in your view.

there will be a general concensious on the value if it takes a $1000+ rig.
if it takes a $6-700 then value proposition will be different from person to person.
I'm not stating how much the rig will cost, or of it makes 1X good value to anyone. Just that its a bit early to judge based on his particular views.

worth noting he hates CBR

TBH I would prefer native 4k with high settings, for a console releasing at the end of 2017 with a 500$ price tag.
that sounds fine in paper, but it wouldn't be Anthem, with people crazily drooling over it on the net.

In regards to the price, Mike Ybarra has explained why the Xbox One is 499€.
https://betanews.com/2017/06/16/xbox-one-x-price

it would have meant cutting corners.

That wasn't something Microsoft was willing to do:

When we looked at the overall design, we could do less memory. We could do under-clocked components so we don’t have to have the cooling system that we have in here. There’s any number of things you could think of. The box could be twice as big. That would make it cheaper. But when you're talking about people putting it in the living room... they don’t want that external. They want the components and the look and feel... the acoustics of it to be a very high-end, premium product. This is designed for the premium gamer that wants the absolute best experience. And so compromising any of those then makes that message much harder to communicate to them. We showed them the smallest Xbox we’ve ever created, the most power, the best price per performance you can get anywhere, in this box. That’s what we're delivering.

The x1x comes a full year after the pro and the pro was being sold for a profit, for Sony, from day one. Less memory meant the same memory as the pro one year later. Downclocked components, so what they could achieve 6 tf , which isn't a great number for end of 2017, with more cu. As I wrote , in my first post after the price was revealed, is tha the extra 100$ is just to get a nicer looking box. Ms has some strange ideas, first they thought the gimmicky control method with Kinect would lead them to great success with the Xbox one and they failed. Now they seem to think that a sleek looking box is the key to success and I suspect they will fail again. If Sony can bring a console with the specs of the PS4 in 2013 ,with the actual box looking reasonably nice, then ms should be able to do the same with the x (that has a huge advantage only in gpu power) in 2017.

If the case would actually look "nice". I'm not really a fan of a lot needless edges as they just collect dust. I would have surely preferred the XB1S case and I consider the SDK version to look better than their final version.

Low noise is absolutely important though, far more than size imho.

" in my first post after the price was revealed, is tha the extra 100$ is just to get a nicer looking box. Ms has some strange ideas, first they thought the gimmicky control method with Kinect would lead them to great success with the Xbox one and they failed. Now they seem to think that a sleek looking box is the key to success and I suspect they will fail again. If Sony can bring a console with the specs of the PS4 in 2013 ,with the actual box looking reasonably nice, then ms should be able to do the same with the x (that has a huge advantage only in gpu power) in 2017.

The Xbox X was designed to be a higher end Xbox One. It is not at all designed to compete with baseline consoles for sales. It was made mainly for fans that love Xbox and want a console more like the 360 which was a beast in its time. When it comes down in cost it will catch on with main stream buyers and will end up selling in huge numbers. I am not sure what your definition of failure is, but I don't see that happening in this instance. I feel like people are not understanding what a mid gen upgrade is. It's not a completely new generation Xbox. It's a high end option for customers that want a more premium box, and don't want to wait 10 years for an upgrade! With technology improvements becoming faster and faster making a console that lasts 10 years is no longer an option. To you last point the Xbox X has an advantage in every aspect, and we will have to wait and see how much those advantages really amount to in comparisons with the PS4 Pro.

Last edited by a moderator:
The x1x comes a full year after the pro and the pro was being sold for a profit, for Sony, from day one. Less memory meant the same memory as the pro one year later. Downclocked components, so what they could achieve 6 tf , which isn't a great number for end of 2017, with more cu. As I wrote , in my first post after the price was revealed, is tha the extra 100$ is just to get a nicer looking box. Ms has some strange ideas, first they thought the gimmicky control method with Kinect would lead them to great success with the Xbox one and they failed. Now they seem to think that a sleek looking box is the key to success and I suspect they will fail again. If Sony can bring a console with the specs of the PS4 in 2013 ,with the actual box looking reasonably nice, then ms should be able to do the same with the x (that has a huge advantage only in gpu power) in 2017.

Your assumption that all components always get cheaper year over year is not a valid one, and some of your conclusions are based on that flawed assumption.

Here's how the retail price has moved for 7200 RPM hard drives over the last 18 months.

And memory prices have gone up significantly across the board as more and more capacity is diverted to making memory for mobile, smart and IoT devices.

The better than PS4 Pro specs, even a year later, are each more expensive to deliver.

People are expecting everything for nothing when it comes to consoles.. Phil Spencer basically admitting they are not making any money on this. You think Nvidia sells its GPU's at cost?

Anyway it sounds like some games will be at/near 4K with graphical improvements over Xbox One version.

In Canada the price difference between a Nintendo Switch and a Xbox One X works out to about $150 US dollars..

In Canada the price difference between a Nintendo Switch and a Xbox One X works out to about $150 US dollars..

Which is the price of a single Nintendo Pro Controller in Canada?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back