Forza Motorsport 7 [XO, XPA, PC]

Watching that in 4k at 60 FPS, the game is so incredibly "clean" and sharp in motion. If I pause the game I can find some instances of aliasing, but I don't know if that's due to YouTube compression. But importantly, it's not producing the shimmering on near vertical or near horizontal edges that can drive me nuts when a game is in motion and the AA isn't really good. So it's likely the compression. I can't wait for direct feed shots.

Also some artifacting on the chain link fences in the background (I'm nitpicking now), but again, not sure if it's due to YouTube compression. One unfortunate side effect of such a clean image is that polygon edges are very easy to pick out.

All that in the rain, at 4k and 60 FPS, and it's really quite impressive. Anistropic filtering looks to be very good as well.

It's one of the very few times I can actually pause a video of gameplay and not be annoyed by various artifacts littered around the scene as exists with almost all current gen games.

Interestingly, 3rd person over the car view makes polygons less apparent in motion. In first person dash view, you can see the various dashboard elements having defined polygon edges.

People that have a XBO-X and a 4K TV are in for a treat with this game.

For once, instead of various rendering artifacts drawing my eyes to them constantly, I'm actively having to go looking for them. Reflections of the environment in the water are still not perfect, but I can forgive them that as perfect reflections would be computationally prohibitive.

Regards,
SB

Watching that in 4k at 60 FPS, the game is so incredibly "clean" and sharp in motion. If I pause the game I can find some instances of aliasing, but I don't know if that's due to YouTube compression. But importantly, it's not producing the shimmering on near vertical or near horizontal edges that can drive me nuts when a game is in motion and the AA isn't really good. So it's likely the compression. I can't wait for direct feed shots.

Also some artifacting on the chain link fences in the background (I'm nitpicking now), but again, not sure if it's due to YouTube compression. One unfortunate side effect of such a clean image is that polygon edges are very easy to pick out.

All that in the rain, at 4k and 60 FPS, and it's really quite impressive. Anistropic filtering looks to be very good as well.

It's one of the very few times I can actually pause a video of gameplay and not be annoyed by various artifacts littered around the scene as exists with almost all current gen games.

Interestingly, 3rd person over the car view makes polygons less apparent in motion. In first person dash view, you can see the various dashboard elements having defined polygon edges.

People that have a XBO-X and a 4K TV are in for a treat with this game.

For once, instead of various rendering artifacts drawing my eyes to them constantly, I'm actively having to go looking for them. Reflections of the environment in the water are still not perfect, but I can forgive them that as perfect reflections would be computationally prohibitive.

Regards,
SB
I'd recommend you to watch some other E3 trailers from the conference such as Ori 2 and Metro, perhaps. They have to be impressive at 4k and with a good sound system.

Watching the gamersyde videos and the lighting still looks somewhat off (cartoony) and they still have not sorted they AA out (distant edges shimmer a lot). They had a chance with this one to revamp the engine but I guess the 2 year timeframe isn't enough for it? Other than that the graphical step down in comparison to Forza Horizon 3 is quite evident but I guess that's down to 30 vs 60 fps and more accurate physics engine.

Watching the gamersyde videos and the lighting still looks somewhat off (cartoony) and they still have not sorted they AA out (distant edges shimmer a lot). They had a chance with this one to revamp the engine but I guess the 2 year timeframe isn't enough for it? Other than that the graphical step down in comparison to Forza Horizon 3 is quite evident but I guess that's down to 30 vs 60 fps and more accurate physics engine.
the videos are colour corrected, so may not be representative of what you're looking for yet. Not to say they haven't solved the lighting issues. Not sure about it being a graphical step down at all. I don't see that.

100GB would be quite a lot for a racing game. It really does not need to be this large.
The assets seem to be huge. Forza 5 was a XB1 launch game and I have the disc and it occupies like 50+GB of disk space, iirc. The game was good although somewhat rushed so it was incomplete.. This one doesn't seem to be rushed.

I see it differently. Cars should use materials over textures. Decals can then be used for special points.

The environment does not look like it uses more "4k assets" than most other multiplattform AAA titles. Partially, the environmental textures look low res.

EDIT:

Last edited:
I see it differently. Cars should use materials over textures. Decals can then be used for special points.

The environment does not look like it uses more "4k assets" than most other multiplattform AAA titles. Partially, the environmental textures look low res.

EDIT:

You're watching on 4K HDR set ? I don't think you'll be able to see squat on 1080p. Sigh. Damn You OLED!!!

This does not affect how the textures and assets look. If some textures are already muddy or assets have a low poly count in the video they will also be the same on an UHD OLED.

Nevertheless, the game looks multiple times better than GT: Sports which has a higher budget (~200 developers) and a longer development time.

This does not affect how the textures and assets look. If some textures are already muddy or assets have a low poly count in the video they will also be the same on an UHD OLED.

Nevertheless, the game looks multiple times better than GT: Sports which has a higher budget (~200 developers) and a longer development time.
But that's half the problem. Muddiness and a lack of detail is the result of looking at 1080p va 4K. You're not sure without seeing the source signal on the proper display. It's a big problem for these mid gen refreshes, it's difficult to showcase how much Better they look over their 1080p counterparts without the right hardware.

It's like taking a the weight of two different objects with the same 1 decimal place precision and saying they are the same weight. And then trying to weigh the two again with a 3 decimal place precision and noticing that they are indeed different.

You won't know until you change the scale. You've got to contend with
A) HDR
B) 4K
C) incorrect interpretation of flat colours for what HDR would display.

Last edited:
You also have to contend with people who don't have calibrated displays, which is the #1 destroyer of texture detail. If you don't have proper greyscale calibration it can seriously impact image quality, but that's true of all games on all PCs, consoles.

Dammit :neutral: MS and their monster size installs!

The track DF uploaded looks much better than the other tracks lighting wise, and they actually added AO! Finally!
The Dubai track had a different TOD in the PC build which was used as a source for the earlier videos. The Xbox One X build on the show floor had this vastly more realistic lighting TOD (the PC build looked like a mid-day setting which has always looked like crap with it's super blue sky and overly contrasty colors like in Forza Horizon during the same TOD).

100GB would be quite a lot for a racing game. It really does not need to be this large.

Well, some people have been clamoring for higher quality art assets, especially textures. Now imagine if the XBO-X had more memory? The game could then be 200-300 GB or even more to try to take advantage of that.

It actually looks pretty good when viewed at 4k. I can't speak to HDR, however, as I don't have an HDR display.

But here's the problem. As textures get more detailed, you start to need significantly larger textures to achieve noticeable increases in detail without getting really up close to the texture (nose to the wall sort of thing) when rendered in the game engine.

IE - there isn't a linear relationship between texture size and perceivable texture quality when playing a game as it's meant to be played (IE - most people don't play with their nose stuck to a wall :D). The high speed at which you move/drive in a driving game like Forza compounds the issue. But even then, there is a noticeable increase in detail compared to Forza 6.

Edit - also as Digital Foundry mentioned. Watching HDR content in SDR (like the footage MS released) leads to washed out colors. You have to watch a feed that has a proper SDR source (when set to SDR rendering colors will get properly tone mapped to SDR unlike a HDR video feed seen on a SDR display).

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
Dammit :neutral: MS and their monster size installs!

The track DF uploaded looks much better than the other tracks lighting wise, and they actually added AO! Finally!

This is normal it is the weather implementation:

From DF article
[UPDATE 17/6/17 2:20pm: we'll need to look at our captures more closely, but transitioning between multiple baked lighting models may be how Turn 10 has achieved this - it's an approach most recently seen in Horizon Zero Dawn

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=241053528

The Digitalfoundry guy seems to confirm this it is a semi dynamic weather system

Last edited:
Back