Minecraft, Rocket League, Fortnite, etc CrossPlay on every Platform but Sony because...

From Giantbomb's interview last night with Phil...

https://vid.me/g39a

Oh dear. He looked pissed.

Tommy McClain
the post E3 is being more funny than the E3 itself.

_7fw0QEpQwIgmdDTVWqiXIJxeiAp8lMFZ94mh2ObkBo.jpg

I don't think crossplay means cross-platform chat/messaging, so I don't really understand why it's an issue. In terms of in-game behaviour, that is something that gets policed by the developer/publisher as far as I can tell. If they think minecraft is unsafe, they why do they even allow it in their store as is? What about cross-play would make it any less safe?

I think the answer is complete bullshit. The real answer is they don't want to make an xbox a more attractive place to play games, and they can use their market position to do that. Using the safety of children as an excuse is pretty crass.

Crossplay does included cross platform chat with the Xbox/PC. But since Switch doesn't even have chat, I also can't believe that's an issue.

Xbox/PC yes, because they both use xbox live. I don't believe it would if it were a Steam game. I could be wrong. But even then, couldn't they just offer cross-play without chat and messaging?

I can understand from a business standpoint on "why" Sony wouldn't want cross-play at this point in time. Its just the nature of business. You don't want to give your competitors an inch on gaining momentum, potential consumers, reducing any potential towards damaging the business revenue streams / profit margins, and so on (even if the threat isn't truly there on doing so). However, Sony's BS excuse is terrible and the users who feel Sony isn't #4ThePlayers will opt out of their ecosystem for their competitors.

ArsTechnica has an article on this: Sony continues to lock PS4 players out of cross-console play

Snippets showing it's not a technical issue at all, but purely a Sony Business Reason:

“The honest answer is PlayStation has not yet granted us permission," Psyonix VP of Publishing Jeremy Dunham told Polygon regarding the reason for the Rocket League's cross-platform block on PS4. Since Psyonix runs its own servers and since those servers have already been certified for Microsoft's strict technical and security requirements for tying in to Xbox Live, adding PS4 is "literally something we could do with a push of a button, metaphorically," he added. "In reality it’s a webpage with a checkbox on it. All we have to do is check that box and it would be up and running in less than an hour all over the world. That’s all we need to do.”

In the months since, though, developers have continued to stress that Sony itself is the only remaining barrier to getting the PS4 connected to outside platforms for their games.

"We also do have a technical solution in place for PS4 and would love to add Sony’s platform to cross-play at the start of open beta," CD Projekt CEO Marcin Iwiński said last year regarding Gwent. "All we need is a green light from Sony."

I understand why Sony was a bit quieter this year. Any real big news that they might have had, would have been drowned in the XBOX wave. So I can see how they might have kept some new games or big updates to themselves to be revealed at PSX. There is limited press space at any given time and everyone knows that this week the press was all about the X, and to a certain extent the Switch.

Also, they've had a ridiculously good first half of the year, just one amazing game after the next, so it's also understandable if they relax a little.

To me that risks looking like arrogance - and maybe it is a bit, especially with the cross-play debacle.

But that's Sony for you. They'll reveal their cards when they know it's all about them.

The Sony PR was stupid to talk about children but they protect there ecosystem and the network effect, I want to play with my friend to Rocket League and he has a PS4, I will buy one... For Minecraft the problem is even worse for Sony, PS4 User need to use Xbox Live for cross play and it means give PSN commercial data to Microsoft and after they can do direct marketing campaign to PSN customer... And it has another advantage on Microsoft side more MAU... Microsoft don't do this for the gamers...

Last edited:
The Sony PR was stupid to talk about children but they protect there ecosystem and the network effect, I want to play with my friend to Rocket League and he has a PS4, I will buy one... For Minecraft the problem is even worse for Sony, PS4 User need to use Xbox Live for cross play and it means give PSN commercial data to Microsoft who can after do direct marketing campaign to PSN customer... And it has another advantage on Microsoft side more MAU... They don't fo this for the gamers...

Oh I completely agree. I mean, seriously? Protecting the children?? Literally the stupidest excuse I've heard in a awhile.

Just say it like it is, it's ok! Doesn't change the reality of it.

The Sony PR was stupid to talk about children but they protect there ecosystem and the network effect, I want to play with my friend to Rocket League and he has a PS4, I will buy one... For Minecraft the problem is even worse for Sony, PS4 User need to use Xbox Live for cross play and it means give PSN commercial data to Microsoft and after they can do direct marketing campaign to PSN customer... And it has another advantage on Microsoft side more MAU... Microsoft don't do this for the gamers...

Are you sure that it'll require xbox live on PS4, or is that just a nintendo thing? Nintendo Switch doesn't even have an online network yet. I'm assuming PS4 will use PSN, like PC players that continue to use Steam.

Are you sure that it'll require xbox live on PS4, or is that just a nintendo thing? Nintendo Switch doesn't even have an online network yet. I'm assuming PS4 will use PSN, like PC players that continue to use Steam.

It is what Spencer have said to GiantBomb, it is impossible from a corporate point of view to accept this. Ask anyone creating a business to give customer data to a concurrent and he will laugh hard...

http://www.express.co.uk/entertainm...-Switch-Xbox-Live-login-Better-Together-patch

The Minecraft news was revealed by Phil Spencer, the Head of Xbox, during an interview with Giant Bomb.

When talking about cross-platform play and how players will login, Spencer said: "It's an Xbox Live account; that's our gaming social network.

"We use Xbox Live as the way to make sure we know who our players are, controls around parental controls and other things that we put into our platform are there.

"And as you're buying things in Minecraft, you want to make sure you have them available on other platforms, so we have to know who you are.

"If you have a realm that you've created on the PC and you want to get to it on the Switch, we have to have an identity system and we just use Xbox Live

EDIT: Nintendo is alone on it own niche...

Last edited:
If Microsoft is asking players to have a Xbox Live account to track micro-transactions for Minecraft users, and Playstation doesn't want players logging onto Xbox Live accounts on their platform, why don't they just say so? I think that's a pretty reasonable thing and it would come across a lot better than some bs reason like protecting children.

If Microsoft is asking players to have a Xbox Live account to track micro-transactions for Minecraft users, and Playstation doesn't want players logging onto Xbox Live accounts on their platform, why don't they just say so? I think that's a pretty reasonable thing and it would come across a lot better than some bs reason like protecting children.

Because Microsoft took the problem in public place trying to shame Sony. It was a shady PR move for MS and Sony answer with a stupid PR move because they don't want to tell the truth for preserving the brand... It could have been a private discussion between the two compagnies. And they would have said no...

Like Jim Ryan said during the interview in one lucid rant, it is not even a discussion inside Sony. And if a guy try to discuss about this, he is so incomptent he deserve be fired asap...

Last edited by a moderator:
Because Microsoft took the problem in public place trying to shame Sony.
Rubbish. They held negotiations behind closed doors of some form. They didn't come to an agreement. MS announced cross-platform play with the people who'd partner with them which didn't include Sony. The media then asked why of both of them. Sony gave a nonsense PR response. The media should also follow up with an iOS cross-platform query, because this announcement doesn't support tablet users. If MS is going to be billing through XBox Store, no wonder!

Because Microsoft took the problem in public place trying to shame Sony. It was a shady PR move for MS and Sony answer with a stupid PR move because they don't want to tell the truth for preserving the brand... It could have been a private discussion between the two compagnies. And they would have said no...
how did ms take it into a public place apart from revealing cross platform play?

Back