Accurate Human Rendering in Game [2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sony briefly experimented with LA Noire-like video capturing of charachters durign late PS3 era.
Code:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aj-zNjff7wY&feature=youtu.be&t=1043

DetroitFace.gif

34433274754_86ebd126ej7u69.jpg

34433275044_ead46a57527unk.jpg

god-of-war-screen-11-ps4-us-12jun17

Last edited:
Days Gone looks really nice in terms of eyes and expressions, skin shader looks nice as well:

Good showing from Bend :)

Honestly, this is where Sony has the most obvious advantage over its competitors when it comes to in-house / first party games. Their in-house team engines make PS4/Pro look better than what you think the hardware is capable of.

Kratos is probably the most detailed character model I've seen, the beard, the ultra high res textures, butter smooth mesh with all the muscles sculpted and the consistency in quality throughout the gameplay really wowed me.
image_god_of_war-35800-3634_0005.jpg

marvels-spider-man-screen-03-ps4-us-12jun17

I was really impressed by the faces in Spiderman. Even more impressive considering the smooth transition between gameplay and cutscenes.

Kratos is probably the most detailed character model I've seen, the beard, the ultra high res textures, butter smooth mesh with all the muscles sculpted and the consistency in quality throughout the gameplay really wowed me.
image_god_of_war-35800-3634_0005.jpg

Kratos looks amazing but I would hardly call him 'accurate' human rendering in any way :)

Do any games have realistic joints though?

It seems like the kind of issue that won't be resolved before cloth simulation becomes commonplace. I look forward to the day it does. That and fluid simulation: I'd like people crossing their legs to result in their thigh squashing a little instead of just phasing through.

Not gonna get resolved anytime soon unless that absurd pixel density craze (which unfortunately is a lot easier to market than realistic looking joints are) stops.

It seems like the kind of issue that won't be resolved before cloth simulation becomes commonplace. I look forward to the day it does. That and fluid simulation: I'd like people crossing their legs to result in their thigh squashing a little instead of just phasing through.

This is a bit more complicated than that.

Most games wouldn't want to do cloth sim for the sleeves, because 1. it'd be expensive, and problematic at the point where the soft tissues are pushing against each other and get squashed (and thus the cloth would have to collide in an area where there's little room for it, so lotsa errors) 2. the cheaper trick solutions would usually cover that part better anyway.

The cheap tricks are stuff that we also use on naked arms/legs and the collision models for cloth sims: either an extra joint, driven by the elbow/knee rotation, that pushes out the bony areas; or a hand sculpted blendshape that's also activated by the joint rotation.

In games, the limiting factor would have to be memory and maybe processing power; and of course artist time. Consider that just the hero characters may easily have 3-10 costume variations (although at least you only have to load one per level), and enemy variety is also getting more and more important.

Oh and also, knees are rarely seen and even in those cases, the viewer tends to focus on the face and the hands of the character. The reasonable approach is to focus hw resources and artist time on those areas.
Case in point, just look at the knuckles and wrists of Ellie in the Last of Us 2 trailer, they're practically perfect. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that this feature is only active in cinematics, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back