Microsoft XBOX (XBox One X / Project Scorpio) - Prerelease News and Rumours

Status
Not open for further replies.
From the MS E3 Conference...

Microsoft Xbox Scorpio is officially names Xbox One X [XBOX], is the smallest Xbox console, releases November 7th with a staggering price of $499. The following existing games have been said to receive XBOX patches:

Just to clarify, the 3rd party games getting patches. I believe it was mentioned that all the latest 1st party titles were already XBO-X ready. I believe all will get the 4K treatment, but don't know if all will be getting HDR or any other enhancements.

Regards,
SB

How improved are non-patched games? Do you get XB1 games in 1080p60 as standard?

Games with dynamic resolution will be pegged at their highest resolution. Games with unstable framerates will be locked at their target 30 or 60. All games will be AF'd AF. Level and asset loading should be improved due to the extra RAM being used as cache. And lastly, like the One S, games will be upscaled to 4K when connected to a 4K set.

I think that's about it.

Just to clarify, the 3rd party games getting patches. I believe it was mentioned that all the latest 1st party titles were already XBO-X ready. I believe all will get the 4K treatment, but don't know if all will be getting HDR or any other enhancements.

Regards,
SB

I doubt it on HDR, my understanding is that the games need to be designed by the artist to use HDR (That's what I got from the HardwareCanuck's vid on Nvidia faking HDR). From the list, it seems to me that the 3rd party games that have PC releases will get those assets that already exist patched in, and that the 1st party games that don't have PC versions will also have those assets created (I wouldn't be shocked if those games eventually get a PC port as a result).

I doubt it on HDR, my understanding is that the games need to be designed by the artist to use HDR (That's what I got from the HardwareCanuck's vid on Nvidia faking HDR). From the list, it seems to me that the 3rd party games that have PC releases will get those assets that already exist patched in, and that the 1st party games that don't have PC versions will also have those assets created (I wouldn't be shocked if those games eventually get a PC port as a result).

I was trying to remember where I read this, but according to this blog post on the Nvidia Gameworks blog by Nixxes about adding HDR support to Rise of the Tomb Raider, "Many games are already rendering to a higher dynamic range internally. Tone mapping has been applied to get down to standard dynamic range (SDR) displays for many years."

While I understand how some may be disappointed that the Xbox One X isn't what they were hoping it would be, it is actually perfectly consistent with how MS have been representing it all along.

• The original statement of, "You need a 4K TV to see any benefit." was worded poorly, of course, but if you rephrase that as, "You need a 4K TV for the Xbox One X to see a worthwhile benefit at the price we will be selling it at" it checks out.
  • Designed to play games designed for the original Xbox One at 4K? Yup.
  • Will be sold at a premium price? Yup.
  • Most powerful console ever? Yup.
So, while I understand the disappointment, I'm just not sure why the disappointment is happening now. It's been baffling to me that so many people so easily dismissed the statements from Phil Spencer and others and imagined the One X as something different that, in some cases, was directly contradictory to what they were being directly and unambiguously told it was.

Last edited:
Games with dynamic resolution will be pegged at their highest resolution. Games with unstable framerates will be locked at their target 30 or 60. All games will be AF'd AF. Level and asset loading should be improved due to the extra RAM being used as cache. And lastly, like the One S, games will be upscaled to 4K when connected to a 4K set.

I think that's about it.
Just to add it's 16x AF
Also vsynced

All this is for x360 BC games also i believe.

so yea, pretty decent upgrades really.

they've also now said that current games on future consoles will play and look better.

Yep, but Ms doesn´t live in isolation.
Almost everything just applies as well for the 4pro, 100$ less and with many more content, that´s the thing.

I thought that Ms learned the hard way that they couldn´t sell thier console for 500$, They don´t want to compete, I´m fine with that, not getting my money though

*Almost* everything.

And I already decided not to buy it a year ago based on what I was told then, because that informed me to expect the One X to be almost exactly what it turned out to be. Why so LTTP? :cool:

i don't think people didn't get what he said, just they didn't expect it to cost so much, especially as they believe it's using older tech in their eyes. $450 and whole mood would be different.

People were expecting Zen. People were expecting 30 -> 60 fps. Some were even somehow expecting Scorpio exclusives (in direct contradiction of a key messaging point). Those people were disappointed when they didn't get those things.

I say those people were given no reason to have those expectations based on what they were told.

Studio Wildcard’s Jesse Rapczak said:
It’s amazing. It’s basically like Epic settings on PC, we’re targeting 60FPS. We recently introduced variable frame rate, but on Xbox One X with the extra horsepower, you’ll notice less variation in your frame rate even in busy situations.

The PS4 Pro also has improved frame rate when compared to PS4. Before the XB1X, it was the best console version of ARK, but it’s hard to argue with that 6 teraflops [laughs]. Having the same frame rate in our game isn’t really possible, there are a couple reasons for that: the XB1X not only has a faster CPU than PS4 Pro, it also has a lot more RAM. I’d say there’s a 50% performance difference.

The Xbox One X is great. Everything from the devkits is so much easier to develop for. It’s faster in all sorts of ways, especially for us developers it’s easier to iterate. In terms of horsepower, it’s just phenomenal, it is expensive but when you think about the price for a similarly specced PC, it doesn’t unreasonable at all to me.

Overall, the quality is going up a lot. It would have been easy to say, hey, let’s just take the Xbox One version and crank up the resolution, but actually we’ve brought over some enhanced effects from PC. We’ve actually got volumetric lighting and clouds on Xbox One X, higher draw distance that is equal to PC’s Epic settings, higher resolution textures…

http://wccftech.com/ark-epic-settings60fps-xb1x

People were expecting Zen. People were expecting 30 -> 60 fps. Some were even somehow expecting Scorpio exclusives (in direct contradiction of a key messaging point). Those people were disappointed when they didn't get those things.

I say those people were given no reason to have those expectations based on what they were told.
people could only think that up till the DF articles, after that it was clear what was in there.
expectations adjusted after that, people seem to be more disappointed at the price than the tech itself. But I'm only going by B3D really, maybe your right and it's a lot different outside, but I'd be very surprised.

That's another thing that's not getting enough consideration. Taking an Xbox One game and making it run at 4K on X seems like it will take much less development effort than making a PS4 game run at pseudo-4k. Say what you want about wasted power, but I'm sure developers appreciate easily-accessible performance.

"Ark" :LOL:

This is the same game that can't hold 30 fps at 4k with a 1080 Ti (14 tflops at 1987 core clock on this video)

Take everything that dev says with a trackload of salt.
you saying X1 is more powerful than 1080 Ti (14 TF)
maybe that machine didn't have a strong enough cpu, remember. X1 has a custom one!

/jk

people could only think that up till the DF articles, after that it was clear what was in there.
expectations adjusted after that, people seem to be more disappointed at the price than the tech itself. But I'm only going by B3D really, maybe your right and it's a lot different outside, but I'd be very surprised.

Now, sure. But what I'm saying is these are some of the expectations that people have built up along the way that they were disappointed to find were not met that should not have passed a reality check against what was known to be true from day one.

Somebody posted the X to S comparison photo:

3HojDVw.jpg

I feel it's a bit disingenuous because the S is sitting on top of a stand and the X is not, making the S appear larger.

Sort of like how in the other shots, the controller on the S was staged to be diagonal while the X controller was staged perpendicular. It looks like a concerted effort to make the X look even smaller when it's probably just about the same size. That seems like a very odd aspect of the console to focus on, especially as they release news of remaking the Duke.

But... Microsoft.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back