Microsoft Original XBox Backwards Compatibility *SPAWN*

I managed to find my limited original Xbox library, or at least bits of them. I thought I had more, I guess not.

I have all of my Xbox games in a box in my basement (I never trade in games). Probably would only care to play a few though. Lot of EA Sports annual releases in there!

my brother stilt has his OG games on shelf.
went comicon couple weeks ago, stall was selling OG games there, gonna go up in price next show lol

they should make it so every disk just plays.
online will have subset available
where possible sell ports like phantom dust. You don't get that with disk as you play directly from disk.

they've learned a lot from phantom dust port, make use of it

yes ideally it would be a more generic emulator that runs any xbox dvd, because it avoids not being able to play games from companies not interested in making them available again (or companies that are no longer with us and the rights for the game are not in a clear situation) and outside of that they could offer more optimized games even available on their store for whatever games they get a deal in place to publish again,
but I think only the second case will happen.

have they made it clear if they have to pay a license for Nvidia or if this is some other emulation method that avoids that?

have they made it clear if they have to pay a license for Nvidia or if this is some other emulation method that avoids that?

According to Robbie Bach (who was head of Xbox at the time of the 360's BC initiative), the way they avoided paying Nvidia was through the downloaded profile packs. That's why BC games came in chunks, rather than all at once. They had to create a special profile for each game that was going to be BC. And that required the participation of the individual publishers. It's also why it was only a limited selection of games and why some could never be added. The only way around this would be to emulate the machine itself. I was hoping they would do that with Scorpio, but they're obviously sticking with the "profiles" model. I bet fewer than 50 OG Xbox games are ever made BC for the Xbox One X.

Nvidia still owns the tech of the NV2A. They won't allow MS to create an emulator for it without paying up. And, considering Nvidia refuses to talk about it (I emailed them a few years ago), I'm guessing there's no amount high enough that they'd be willing to allow MS to pay for that privilege.
How is this possible? Other machines are emulated without being charged or stopped (eg. Dolphin on PC).

How is this possible? Other machines are emulated without being charged or stopped (eg. Dolphin on PC).

Microsoft was very late in putting the original Xbox together. I believe they only had a deal to purchase finished hardware from Nvidia. Very much like Compaq sticking TNT2 cards in their desktops in the late 90s. Microsoft didn't own any of it.
However, my memory of this dates back to 2002, when they went to court over it. Someone with newer and/or more accurate facts is welcome to set the record straight. When I asked Robbie, he said he couldn't exactly remember, either.

Addendum: You asked about PC, though. That is unknown to me. You'd have to ask Nintendo why they don't sue emu developers. Perhaps because those things are reverse-engineered. Whereas Microsoft could obviously not claim to have reverse engineered the Xbox.

Last edited:
Contractual then, that MS agreed not to emulate NV2a to prevent them sourcing an alternative, and in doing so locked themselves out of BC forever.

Good news. My two favourite OG Xbox games are (among others) in the BC list. I mean Ninja Gaiden Black and PGR2.

13064_front.jpg

1457566299120.jpg

1455422140839.jpg

Where was this list posted?

Also, I wonder if their emulated/recompiled version of Steel Battalion will remap the controls to the gamepad. That game's not much use to anyone who doesn't own the mega-cockpit.

Where was this list posted?

Also, I wonder if their emulated/recompiled version of Steel Battalion will remap the controls to the gamepad. That game's not much use to anyone who doesn't own the mega-cockpit.
It was posted based on the already BC compatible games for the X360 OG Xbox emulator, I think. Now I'd love to see Ninja Gaiden Black and PGR2 at 4k60.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Xbox_games_compatible_with_Xbox_360

Ninja Gaiden Black with its visuals and 60 fps can still pass the test of time. And at 4k60 it has to look incredible. It is a very good looking game. Same for PGR2.

One of the best games ever. As you can see it still holds fine after all this time, imagine at 4k. At the time one wondered how the OG Xbox could run it.

Are you then assuming that MS will just port the 360's emulator software to the Xbox One? That wouldn't be very good for me. Still leaves out plenty of games.
Also, Gunvalkyrie and Rallisport 2 are not BC. I was confused because you posted those box covers.

According to Robbie Bach (who was head of Xbox at the time of the 360's BC initiative), the way they avoided paying Nvidia was through the downloaded profile packs. That's why BC games came in chunks, rather than all at once. They had to create a special profile for each game that was going to be BC. And that required the participation of the individual publishers. It's also why it was only a limited selection of games and why some could never be added. The only way around this would be to emulate the machine itself. I was hoping they would do that with Scorpio, but they're obviously sticking with the "profiles" model. I bet fewer than 50 OG Xbox games are ever made BC for the Xbox One X.

I thought they *did* pay Nvidia.

Thank you for posting that. I have never seen that or heard of it.
And that information never turned up in any searches I did.
And apparently it went down the memory hole of both the President of the Xbox division and Nvidia's console liaison that I contacted years ago.
It also means that MS has lied over the years, since I assume "reached a deal to license technology" involves the exchange of funds.

Edit: Also, I assume they would need to renew or sign a new deal for this technology licensing for their new Xbox One BC/Emulation

Back