AMD GPU Supply Exhausted By Cryptocurrency Mining, AIBs Now Directly Advertising To Miners

Cyan

orange
Legend
Supporter
What the title says. This news could go unnoticed to many, but a 24 years old friend is well into mining and when I read that it helped me to understand what's going on.

I mean, I didn't discover until late..ever since I purchased a RX 570 a month ago, as part of a new PC I built, and 2 days later, this friend told me that the store where he usually bought his graphics cards ran out of stock of RX 580 and RX 570s. This is the same store where I got the RX 570. So I was lucky!

He had started to show big boxes and packages that included several RX 570 and RX 580 graphics cards, and he bought like 4 in a row, 6 in a row... I was like "why are you using them for? Isnt a single one enough?". Later he told me what was all about.

I think he is one of the main AMD's stockholders. :D

http://wccftech.com/amd-gpu-supply-exhausted-by-cryptocurrency/

The problem last time is everyone bought them for mining and then mining stopped making enough money and all the miners sold their cards to try to recoup costs and the market was flooded with cheap cards

The problem last time is everyone bought them for mining and then mining stopped making enough money and all the miners sold their cards to try to recoup costs and the market was flooded with cheap cards
they are making money again, with Etherium. Mining bitcoins stopped to generate money when Chinese started to use PCs built for that -afaik-, but Etherium is one of those bitcoins they can't have control over. So miners are using that.

That friend I mentioned before has spent 8000€ as of recently to purchase AMD's graphics cards. They ran out of stock and now he got a couple of GTX 1060s. A 1000€ investment on Etherium is amortized in a couple of months.

https://translate.google.com/transl...orrando-con-el-minado-de-ethereum/&edit-text=

Yup, I'm joining too. Bought 4 x 1070s which i will hopefully receive by tomorow. It's going to be fun, donno how long this will last.

Here in Romania (and Europe as well), prices are increasing for nVidia cards as well. And they are definetlly selling at a crazy rate

Very likely. Asuming you can get 20 MH/s (25 Mh/s is 480/580 teritory now) out of it @ 400 W system consumption @ 0.13 $/KW/h this would yield you 100$/month profit ( https://www.cryptocompare.com/mining/calculator/eth?HashingPower=20&HashingUnit=MH/s&PowerConsumption=400&CostPerkWh=0.13 )
another friend of mine wanted to sell a r390 to the friend who is mining and he told him he didn't want it, because with a 1000W power supply, he could have 6 or 7 RX 570 or RX 580, while with that one because of power consumption, he could only use 2 or so.

And I'm here wanting to buy a humble 470 just to play my fav games. but now they are worth 600 dollars....Ill take it with patience and buy one wasted after mining is over for 100 or so.

And I'm here wanting to buy a humble 470 just to play my fav games. but now they are worth 600 dollars....Ill take it with patience and buy one wasted after mining is over for 100 or so.
The 470 is basically the same as the RX 570 -my graphics card as of currently-, I think, save for some details. I can tell you that I am quite happy with it. Not the fastest GPU in the world but manages to run at 1080p 60fps with ease. It sits at 5,2 teraflops, 220GB/s of bandwidth without overcloking and it serves its purpose perfectly for those waiting to jump to the 4K format, but want an affordable card for constant 60 fps and 1080p.

Btw, here you can find the 470 priced at 235€, a bit high, though the 570 is priced at 705€, what I joke. Additionally I doubt any of both cards are actually available.
Yeah, I was hunting for a low-end card for my wife and I couldn't find any decent AMD cards for the life of me
actually, the only available RX card as of now is the RX 560, which isn't a bad GPU. It's not expensive and it's low consumption... Thing is, now miners are starting to buy the RX 560 en masse. This is what my friend who is into mining bitcoins told me today.

When the RX 570 and RX 580 got out of stock miners started to purchase the GTX 1060 3GB model. Problem is that while it is more powerful than any RX, it is bad at mining, my friend told me, and he is going to return 6 GTX 1060 graphics cards he purchased recently.

In fact, the RX 560 mines at 15, very very close to the much more powerful GTX 1060 3GB so they are looking into those now. Plus he also told me that you can use 5 RX 560 GPUs with just 320W of power.

btw, a fellow forumer told me that the RX 580 is likely to be available by the beginning of the next month.

Last edited:
The 470 is basically the same as the RX 570 -my graphics card as of currently-, I think, save for some details. I can tell you that I am quite happy with it. Not the fastest GPU in the world but manages to run at 1080p 60fps with ease. It sits at 5,2 teraflops, 220GB/s of bandwidth without overcloking and it serves its purpose perfectly for those waiting to jump to the 4K format, but want an affordable card for constant 60 fps and 1080p.

Btw, here you can find the 470 priced at 235€, a bit high, though the 570 is priced at 705€, what I joke. Additionally I doubt any of both cards are actually available.
actually, the only available RX card as of now is the RX 560, which isn't a bad GPU. It's not expensive and it's low consumption... Thing is, now miners are starting to buy the RX 560 en masse. This is what my friend who is into mining bitcoins told me today.

Thats all I want but buying a used GPU more expensive than when it was new is not in my plans. I'll wait until the mining is over o get an nvidia card. I even looked at 380/280 and they are about 200 dollars...

Waiting for Vega, wishing it won't suffer the same fate !
This is the perfect time to sell my R9 290X! I paid for it £200 over a year ago and now can sell it for more than £300 used!!! Obviously I won't, not just yet, but this mining craze might make my Vega upgrade a lot cheaper than I thought!
Hoping there will be enough Vegas available at launch for me to grab one :)

Waiting for Vega, wishing it won't suffer the same fate !
actually, the aforementioned friend told me that if Vega turns out to be any good at mining they are going to buy it en masse. I think AMD has to do something in that respect if that's true

Just to provide an example of the current situation, only one of the few e-shops I regularly use have any RX (70 or 80) stock. This retailer is normally very competitive with their pricing. The other day they had some 8GB RX580's (Gigabyte I think) for £408! These have all sold, but they now have the ASUS Strix RX580 8GB in stock but it's £450!

:runaway:

I'm pretty sure AMD don't want to curb demand, but rather step up the supply.

Cheers
It's just about 3 years since this came up in the AMD execution thread, with regards to Litecoin mining and what to do about the demand for 290-based rigs.
Actually, it was February when the question was asked. Demand dropped in June.

Just to provide an example of the current situation, only one of the few e-shops I regularly use have any RX (70 or 80) stock. This retailer is normally very competitive with their pricing. The other day they had some 8GB RX580's (Gigabyte I think) for £408! These have all sold, but they now have the ASUS Strix RX580 8GB in stock but it's £450!

:runaway:
To quote myself, it's now up to over £465! Absolutely nuts.

As for stepping up supply of Vega in wake of the miners, is that in any way possible with the reliance on HBM2?

Back