The Official, Long Awaited, TV Shows Thread

Yeah DD declined sharply at the end of the second season.

I understand that it follows plots from the comics, but still
the supernatural stuff and the Dudikoff ninjas have taken away much of the serious, film noire tone that I've enjoyed in the first season so much.

American Gods is also kinda mixed by episode 4, and a lot of the viewers who haven't read the book are still too confused. I still can't exactly point out why this happens, as it follows the novel pretty closely in many ways, and yet I was instantly hooked on that one.
However episode 4 is also a bit different from the first three, as it is almost entirely a flashback, depicting events that were missing or only summed up in a short conversation in the book. It was actually the most approachable as well, and had some really unique scenes which managed to be absurd and dramatic at the same time.

The next episode or two will really have to make an effort to engage viewers, otherwise its ratings will surely start to decline...

I thought season 2 of DD was amazing up until episode 4, after that it went downhill a bit because of a certain plot-line and a very weak main villain. But overall I think it was pretty good, although not as good as the first season. But we got Punisher from S2 so I'm fine with it :p

Last edited:
It was a little unfocused once the Punisher was out of the picture for the first time. I thought it picked up considerably towards the end, though.
I'm watching Fargo So03 right now. Really loving it. Better call Saul is back on track as well. Hated the second season of that. There's slow, which isn't necessarily bad. But then there's Better-Call-Saul-Season-02-slow. Surprisingly, Better Call Saul Season 2 still feels swift and breezy compared to the weird, artsy snoozefest that is American Gods.

I by chance heard someone mention 'line of duty' was pretty good. It's a BBC police drama following an anti-corruption unit (i.e. UK equivalent of the US Internal Affairs).

There's 5 series, and I'm midway thru series 3 and I have to say it is pretty good drama.

Ok, since Netflix cancelled Sense8 should I watch season 2? Is it a cliffhanger or does it contain itself? I don't want to get any more emotionally invested in it if it's just gonna leave me hanging. :(

I finished watching Jessica Jones, really liked it. Good villain, good protag, overall mediocre supporting cast (especially the pills dude). The only thing I didn't like is that I felt like the plot was going in circles in a "the princess is in another castle" sort of way, but more like "whelp you messed up once again, try again... I guess?" so I couldn't binge watch this series like I did with Daredevil. Jessica Jones and Kilgrave just carried the whole show for me, and Luke Cage was good too (why does he even wear a helmet though?) :)

Last edited:
The best way of watching BlackSails is in a binge session with no more than a week between seasons. There is so much going on in season 4 that I forgot thr setup and some background stories when I watched this as it aired, 1 episode at a time after a year between each season.

A coworker recently started and finished BlackSails within a months timeframe and he enjoyed it plenty. He got a more out of it than I did because it was fresher in his mind, and it wasnt until we were talking about it that I put some more things together. It really is a great series. I really enjoyed it watching it on a snails pace of episode releases, but I would have enjoyed it more if I could watch within a month or two from start to finish.

The best way of watching BlackSails is in a binge session with no more than a week between seasons. There is so much going on in season 4 that I forgot thr setup and some background stories when I watched this as it aired, 1 episode at a time after a year between each season.

A coworker recently started and finished BlackSails within a months timeframe and he enjoyed it plenty. He got a more out of it than I did because it was fresher in his mind, and it wasnt until we were talking about it that I put some more things together. It really is a great series. I really enjoyed it watching it on a snails pace of episode releases, but I would have enjoyed it more if I could watch within a month or two from start to finish.
Hm, thanks for the suggestion, but I prefer to "extend" the pleasure, so I don't watch all seasons in a row and I alternate seasons with other series in between. :)

Meh. The books are too long, and not finished :) The TV series has its flaws, but at least it is making progress.

American Gods episode 6

Okay, now I'm confused too... :D

The majority of the past 3 episodes was new content, including a major character (although it was written by Gaiman himself) but that's not the issue.
The show is still in a phase where it's more about adding new elements instead of finally offering explanations, or setting up actual rules. This is probably the more important issue for new viewers - setting up real conflicts when everything is still up in the air makes them weightless.

The book has somehow managed to get along without this, I have to admit - must be about the strength of the writing and the atmosphere. But translated to the screen, it just doesn't work as well.

Meh. The books are too long, and not finished :) The TV series has its flaws, but at least it is making progress.

True. On the other hand it's a little too apparent that they're no longer following the books now. The show's suddendly full of happy accidents and characters who'll pop up just about anywhere in the blink of an eye as long as the plot demands it. The show used to do a really good job at conveying a sense of scope as well as the passage of time. Now it seems like everyone just gets conveniently teleported about. The dialog writing has taken a massive dive as well and the whole thing has become rather predictable.

Still, a show that'll eventually come to a conclusion is a lot better than one which undecidedly twiddles its thumbs, only to fizzle out sooner or later because there's just no end in sight.

I found the season before last to be a bit of a waste of time - I think it was that season (S05?), the one where they spend loads of time titting around with Dorne, the High Sparrow, etc. The last season was better IMO, though a bit predictable as you say.

I do wonder at which point the TV series people finally concluded that Martin wasn't going to make progress in time, and didn't really have a firm idea of the arc of the plot going toward the end.

Back