Microsoft XBOX (XBox One X / Project Scorpio) - Prerelease News and Rumours

Status
Not open for further replies.
To me the whole DF thing felt more like avoiding the rumour mongering period where the console hardcore hunts for the slightest (NDA) details with a lot toxic speculation based on half assed leaks. Compared to Feb-Aug 2013, 2017 looks like an idyllic time.
it's about controlling the message, but leaks or not how well would reveal had gone if they said custom upclocked jaguar, with some Polaris features on stage?

last e3 they already gave core and flop count so they would've had to say either on stage or right after.

doing deep dive after, damage would been done. First impressions and all that.

last e3 they already gave core and flop count .

A lot of FUD had creeped in in the intervening months though. Oh it's not gonna hit 6TF that was just a target, oh they meant 6TF FP16, 3TF FP32, the Zen speculation, all that nonsense. So they did need to set them in stone.

Since the APU did turn out to be basically Polaris/Jaguar, there's been little blowback. So I guess the DF reveal playing up the likely overblown "custommmmmzzzzzzzzzzzz" stuff worked in messaging terms.

They have been active in the pc space for a while now. So I would be surprised if they wasn't there.
I expect that they will talk about xbox the service, maybe clubs, LFG and arenas(tournaments) is going to also be rolled out to pc?
Also in the same ecosystem as X1.
if you use the Xbox app on the Pc you can see it is the same if not better than the actual Xbox experience, because it is easier to write messages or click on like and stuff like that. Maybe Scorpio is going to start out as a console and gradually become a PC, but you never know, perhaps I am daydreaming because of the needs of my life style nowadays. Scorpio is looking very very good and that fact would make it a day one purchase for me, but now I have a PC, and I am going to play Scorpio games there, so I am not worried nor I am saving money like crazy like I did in previous Xbox generations.

From neogaf

YtaNu0w.png

FshKitk.png

A lot of FUD had creeped in in the intervening months though. Oh it's not gonna hit 6TF that was just a target, oh they meant 6TF FP16, 3TF FP32, the Zen speculation, all that nonsense. So they did need to set them in stone.

Since the APU did turn out to be basically Polaris/Jaguar, there's been little blowback. So I guess the DF reveal playing up the likely overblown "custommmmmzzzzzzzzzzzz" stuff worked in messaging terms.
the only thing that could leak was confirmation of what we was told and jag, and at best Polaris gpu.
they did DF because they could control message that its "custom" jaguar, gpu is a beast even if it's not vega.

if they waited, and this is my point - "even if there wasn't any leaks" they wouldn't be able to control the message the same way.
at e3 everyone would've run with jag, old gpu, regardless how games looked.
deep dive after would've been less effective after that, damage done.

basically with what we know about system now, leaks or not, was best to get out in front of it in my eyes. Think they was smart enough to reconise that.

To me the whole DF thing felt more like avoiding the rumour mongering period where the console hardcore hunts for the slightest (NDA) details with a lot toxic speculation based on half assed leaks. Compared to Feb-Aug 2013, 2017 looks like an idyllic time.
those were the days :D . okay, a rumour of my own fabrication.., Microsoft are going to announce the Xbox 360 and original Xbox emulator for the PC too. Wishful thinking..but if that happens then there would very few things separating the experience on console from the PC experience.

...a rumour of my own fabrication.., Microsoft are going to announce the Xbox 360 and original Xbox emulator for the PC too.

Are my OG discs going to work?
If not, what's the point?
They'd just be selling new copies of old games. That's not exactly a plus for the userbase.
I suppose it's a good thing for all those Playstation loyalists who are eager to play Gunvalkyrie.

I can't see Scorpio succeeding where Xbox One failed given all the same roadblocks exist:
- the massive amount of videogame censorship going on, where every game has to go through a lengthy approval processes before being approved.
- the greatfirewall preventing chinese from playing anyone other than the miniscule Xbox Chinese userbase for multiplayer games.
-Multiplayer games are overwhelmingly the most popular form of gaming, not single player games.
- the absence of the most popular chinese PC games or any of the most popular popular games (from any platform) for that matter on the system
- the fact most of the popular chinese games are F2P, of which Xbox One has very few, and not the popular chinese ones either.
- lack of mindshare of Xbox or its software brands among chinese gamers, particularly compared to PC
- PC gaming being mind bogglingly more popular than consoles in China
- Cybercafes are where a large portion of chinese game

They actually have a pretty big opportunity to fix all of this if they want. They have Play Anywhere for cross-buy. They are supposedly allowing cross-network play. They already allow f2p games. Essentially, all they really need is mouse and keyboard support and they could support the games that people want to play. Considering it's a different market with different rules and different games, I don't see why they couldn't tailor the Xbox platform to operate a little differently than in other markets.

They actually have a pretty big opportunity to fix all of this if they want. They have Play Anywhere for cross-buy. They are supposedly allowing cross-network play. They already allow f2p games. Essentially, all they really need is mouse and keyboard support and they could support the games that people want to play. Considering it's a different market with different rules and different games, I don't see why they couldn't tailor the Xbox platform to operate a little differently than in other markets.
Agreed.

A lot of the points from Pixel, while warranted as challenges, can eventually over time and with elbow work be overcome.
I mean consider that the Japanese market has none of these issues and they sell no XBoxes there, for how many years now.

When you think about it, the relevance of breaking into the Japanese market is fizzled. MS wants the JP games it may not necessarily need JP customers to be considered successful. And if Chinese consumers are interested in buying Japanese games, then that's where MS needs to invest in order to get (JP games) them. I mean it's pretty clear the Xbox West crowd isn't as crazy for them as people would like to think that they are.

Not only does the Chinese gaming market have more in common with US market (eSports + lots of online), but they also have the largest growth opportunity. And the least amount of competition. The console market is still relatively small there, and although Sony owns a largest piece of the console pie in China, they have yet to barely build in-roads into the whole potential market there.

Coupled with the fact that developing for Xbox is not significantly different from developing for PC and you have a decent shot at building support for a Chinese library of Xbox games that could theoretically side step a lot of those challenges.

Good luck to them. It actually is a pretty good service. I've heard some Twitch streamers talk about it briefly when there was some concern over how Twitch was going to treat sponsorship deals for streams considering Twitch is now directly involved in game sales. And Beam, as it was called then, had some benefits they liked compared to Twitch (the biggest one was much lower delay in streams allowing for easier communication with the audience). But AFAIK there aren't any major streamers that are considering leaving Twitch. Can't blame them as Twitch makes them a lot of money and no matter how good Beam/Mixer is, it's still an unknown quantity without an existing base of viewers from which new streams can be discovered.

Regards,
SB

Because everything in that event will be Scorpio related, why that's so hard for some people to accept I have no idea...(not referring to you, obviously)
Did I really need to put a /s tag or smiley on the end?

Although even if the whole show isn't Scorpio or it's at the end, their E3 conference is the best place to try and push mixer, and what better way than to do 4k, regardless of the show contents.

Yeah I know you were joking hence my remark that this wasn't about you. This conference will be Scorpio, Scorpio,Scorpio even though some people "worry" that this might alienate Xbox one users.
Lol well I'm not sure if people are worried, we've skipped past concern and gone straight to wagering.

Now if only terms could be agreed :)
Sigh. Deadline is coming up, only so many Sundays left

Yeah I know you were joking hence my remark that this wasn't about you. This conference will be Scorpio, Scorpio,Scorpio even though some people "worry" that this might alienate Xbox one users.
you quoted/replied to @Rangers post.

X1 owners have had a year to get used to the idea :LOL:
although i do think MS will make it a point to talk about X1 to emphasis that it's a family, games run on both etc.

Is there any details on the quality of mixer 4k streaming?
Codec, bitrate etc?
I've read that people seem to be impressed by the 1080p streaming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back