Xbox Game Pass, Game Pass Ultimate now Includes EA Play! [XGP, GamePass]

yes, but there was a pool of games which had monthly updates rather than today where titles are only available fir one month
I believe it was 6 games (instant games library) with a rotation each month (1 in and 1 out)
If you were subscribed, your library grew that month (by 1 title), much as it is now.

So more or less, very close to what we have today's PS+/XBLG.

Still different from what's being offered with game pass. There's no intention to force rotation for game pass, much like Netflix has no intention of rotating its titles either. But when the publisher wants to pull their game out, inevitably it will exit.

We saw the same reactions from the EA Access announcement, and as far as I'm aware, that program is doing fairly well.

And here we go with MS PR and messaging again...
bah, Phil Spencer has said in an interview with IGN that he wants the service to come to Windows 10, too, so hopefully it will happen over time.

New games added to Xbox Game Pass
  • Fable III
  • Gears of War: Ultimate Edition
  • Halo 5: Guardians
  • Lego Batman
  • Mad Max
  • Mega Man Legacy Collection
  • NBA 2K16
  • Payday 2
  • Saints Row IV Re-Elected
  • SoulCalibur II
  • Tekken Tag Tournament II

I believe it was 6 games (instant games library) with a rotation each month (1 in and 1 out)
If you were subscribed, your library grew that month (by 1 title), much as it is now.

So more or less, very close to what we have today's PS+/XBLG.

Still different from what's being offered with game pass. There's no intention to force rotation for game pass, much like Netflix has no intention of rotating its titles either. But when the publisher wants to pull their game out, inevitably it will exit.

So like I originally said then "So this is like an expanded version of the original PS Plus except games don't get removed?"

So like I originally said then "So this is like an expanded version of the original PS Plus except games don't get removed?"

If by "like an expanded version" you mean that it's superficially similar but quite different. If you started PS+ a year later than someone else, you're first 6 titles might be completely different than the 6 they got. The standard library of 6 (which is guaranteed to change over time) versus a claimed 100 or more (which is likely to only change if a publisher no longer wants a title in there or when a title is added). PS+ grew each month as long as you subscribed but you lost it as soon you stopped. Xbox game pass may or may not grow each month and is not dependent on continually being subscribed. Buy PS+ for 2 months out of the year and at most you'd have gotten access to 12 titles. Buy Xbox Game Pass for 2 months and you'll presumably get access to over 100 different titles.

It's similar in the same way 7-Eleven is similar to Walmart. Kind of similar but not really.

Regards,
SB

Phil had a few comments I found interesting on that podcast

A motivator was giving games another monetization window. Like movies that have various "windows" where they make money then drop off, like theatre release, DVD release etc. So I guess once games have dropped off the radar, they have the opportunity to make money again with this service. Which does hint more at old games.

He thought like Netflix now has content created specifically for it, one day he is hopeful you could see creative content debut directly on gamepass. he mentioned episodic content for example.

He has used PS Now, he thinks streaming makes the most sense with "non performant" hardware. EG, if you have a box that isn't powerful enough to play the games. However in the case of Xbox One, people have the power to play the games, so downloading them locally just makes more sense than streaming.

Thinking about this, I suppose the initial bandwidth download is higher for download, but over time streaming could catch up or surpass the BW used. So it's trading an upfront charge for spread out really. But you do get the advantage of less latency locally, that one is inarguable.

Phil had a few comments I found interesting on that podcast

A motivator was giving games another monetization window. Like movies that have various "windows" where they make money then drop off, like theatre release, DVD release etc. So I guess once games have dropped off the radar, they have the opportunity to make money again with this service. Which does hint more at old games.

He thought like Netflix now has content created specifically for it, one day he is hopeful you could see creative content debut directly on gamepass. he mentioned episodic content for example.

He has used PS Now, he thinks streaming makes the most sense with "non performant" hardware. EG, if you have a box that isn't powerful enough to play the games. However in the case of Xbox One, people have the power to play the games, so downloading them locally just makes more sense than streaming.

Thinking about this, I suppose the initial bandwidth download is higher for download, but over time streaming could catch up or surpass the BW used. So it's trading an upfront charge for spread out really. But you do get the advantage of less latency locally, that one is inarguable.
he also said that Xbox Game Pass has been in development for 2 or 3 years

If by "like an expanded version" you mean that it's superficially similar but quite different. If you started PS+ a year later than someone else, you're first 6 titles might be completely different than the 6 they got. The standard library of 6 (which is guaranteed to change over time) versus a claimed 100 or more (which is likely to only change if a publisher no longer wants a title in there or when a title is added). PS+ grew each month as long as you subscribed but you lost it as soon you stopped. Xbox game pass may or may not grow each month and is not dependent on continually being subscribed. Buy PS+ for 2 months out of the year and at most you'd have gotten access to 12 titles. Buy Xbox Game Pass for 2 months and you'll presumably get access to over 100 different titles.

It's similar in the same way 7-Eleven is similar to Walmart. Kind of similar but not really.

Regards,
SB

Wow, talk about pedantic lol

Change 6 to 'over 100' and it's the same but games don't get removed - like I said.

Anyway, I'm sure someone will see value in this, it's just a shame they didn't include live access.

Wow, talk about pedantic lol

Change 6 to 'over 100' and it's the same but games don't get removed - like I said.

Anyway, I'm sure someone will see value in this, it's just a shame they didn't include live access.
You don't have to build up your library is the biggest difference. There's no penalty in coming into game pass late or advantages of coming in early. The payment model to developers would be different as well.

I believe with XBLG and PS+ their games are given away for free. Developers would have to recoup loss through another method, either through convincing people to buy a sequel or DLC sales or micro transactions.

Yeah, I get that - that's why I said no games removed ;)

I wonder, just putting this out there - what would you pay monthly to have access to the whole library...as it stands you have Live & EA & now this (think it adds up to around $18 pm but feel free to correct me...so what would be a biting point for all games?

I wonder, just putting this out there - what would you pay monthly to have access to the whole library...as it stands you have Live & EA & now this (think it adds up to around $18 pm but feel free to correct me...so what would be a biting point for all games?
lol, oh, yea I guess that's a way to view it.

I think the answer does boil down to 'it depends'. And what it depends on it ultimately what games you want to play. Having reviewed Spencer's remarks on his actual vision for Game Pass, I do see it somewhat as a separate entity from the other 2 services. And it order to see it, you'd have to take the viewpoint of a developer.

I would say, that the trend today is to release a platform game, and support it with DLC for 1 - 2 years before creating the sequel. This somewhat appears to be the trend as of late. And honestly, I think it's a great trend because I think people like the games they bought and they want more or it, and the risk is significantly less on the developers, fix core issues with the base game, build better content (because they can focus just on content now) and buys them much more time to incubate and develop their sequels or next titles.

So if we look at say EA and XBLG - they don't provide the DLC. They are hoping you will buy the DLC as a result of getting the base game free. Which is a different model, I like it, it follows the Blizzard approach where the base game becomes free and you switch to paying for future expansions, battle chests and what not. It does however encourage players to wait until the expansion is released and directly jump onto the 'GOTY/Season Pass + Game' variant. i mean if I don't have time to play or I want to get through my backlog, I will wait on games that I know will have significant DLC and buy them when the game is 'completed' and a GOTY edition is ready. Saves me significantly (looking at Destiny -- Rise of Iron Collection is now $40, buying piece meal day 0 for everything you would be north of $200)

Considering that situation, lets go back to Game Pass. Somehow by placing my game on Game Pass I'm getting paid. i'm honestly not sure how, but I know it likely has to do with how much people are playing my game I get paid. Some form of that. Now i go, well, as a developer i'm creating a MMO lite, like destiny, division, etc, where it's a persistent game, or perhaps there are lot of chapters to a game, where it's unlikely that people will keep paying for the DLC piece meal.

So all of a sudden, I've got this game pass that's available to developers, where we can place our game that is persistent onto the game pass, and offer all the content free, regardless of when they bought in. Because I only care if they play the game, I continue to get paid. It's a model where should i make a game, that is game pass exclusive, players will be paying $10 a month to play my game, and other games. And we've effectively introduced a completely different payment system that would reduce the burden on both developers and purchasers.

Lets take a look at indie titles. A lot of them release and shortly after that release window sales plummet. We see them show up on XBLG/PS+, and then humble bundles, Steam sales etc. Where their profits drop off a cliff rapidly. What if as an indie, I put my game on game pass. All of a sudden, we've effectively removed the barrier for people wanting to try my title completely out of the way, and if they play it and like it, I get paid. And I can continue to update the game because as an indie it's easier to mod/update a game than to start from scratch again.

TLDR; it depends. I think this new method has some possibilities to open up the field for a lot of great games that don't get played, or don't make it, because the barrier for entry is too high.

Taking average deal prices available, Live and EA is $5.83 a month. Live is $40 a year for $3.33 a month. EA is $30 a year for $2.50 a month.

I do agree that $10 a month might be a bit much for the 100 games, but I'm hoping it will see equal discounts floating around like how Live/EA does. If the same discounts could get applied, where Live is $60 but discounted to $40 frequently, then the XGP $120 would be discounted to $80 for around $6.67 a month. If that happens, then monthly price of Live + EA + XGP would be $12.50.

I'm not saying that will be the discounted price, but hoping similar discounts apply to XGP too.

It does not have to be an all inclusive unique price.

A pricing by hours played can be envisioned.

For instance - you sign up and you have no ideea how many hours you will play under the gamepass subscription. If it is less than 10 hours, you will be charged $5. If it si between 10 and 30 hours, you could be charged $10. If it is between 30 and 100 hours - $15. And, above 100 hours played - $20. Something like this.

The advantage for gamers is that you get to pay less for each hour of gameplay the more you play. It actually encourages you to play more.

The advantage for devs is that this - as Iroboto pointed out above - will eliminate the entry barrier for all of the games. Right now, if I what to play a game, I must pay something in advace, and I have no ideea if I will like the game. If I dont like it - bad luck, I just lost whatever I paid. Under the new subscription model - I can try any game I want. If I like it, I continue playing, and the dev gets it's share of my subscription. The more I play, the more the devs get paid.

As I said, most devs will get more money this way. Some will get less - but that is only for those that tend to rip-off the current system (pay upfront for a game that you actually end up NOT playing).

And - the best part - this will get rid both of second hand gaming (since you dont own the game), and piracy (most people pirate games because they dont want to pay the upfront price, and of course they end up playing the game for free in the end).

And, also, it will extend the life of older good games, and make them much more profitable over time, if people keep playing them.

This system is by no means intended to be a replacement for owning individual titles, fizical or digital. People should still be free to buy individual titles, if they so choose. Time spent with a game you own will of course be excluded from the gamepass hours.

Last edited:
It does not have to be an all inclusive unique price.

A pricing by hours played can be envisioned.

For instance - you sign up and you have no ideea how many hours you will play under the gamepass subscription. If it is less than 10 hours, you will be charged $5. If it si between 10 and 30 hours, you could be charged $10. If it is between 30 and 100 hours - $15. And, above 100 hours played - $20. Something like this.

It's a fair idea so I can't see it happening any more than TV channels where we have the tech to activate a channel as and when but we're all forced to pay a flat rate pm...I could mention a lot of other services like this - there's literally nothing you pay for monthly that is 'fair' depending on usage.

From MajorNelson's announcement, some info snippets:

Beginning today, May 24, all Xbox Live Gold members will get exclusive Early Access to Xbox Game Pass, and can start their 14-day free trial before anyone else. This is our way of saying thank you to our valued Gold members for their continued support.

SEE THE FULL LIST OF XBOX GAME PASS TITLES HERE

On Thursday, June 1, Xbox Game Pass will be available for all users. That means anyone with an Xbox Live account can start their 14-day free trial and play over 100 games. Subscriptions will be available for purchase online at xbox.com/game-pass, with a retail offering expected later this year.

We know that a gaming subscription service is only as good as its catalog of titles, so we’re also excited to share the full lineup of Xbox One and Backward Compatible Xbox 360 games that will be available through Xbox Game Pass. At launch and beyond, our goal is to make sure there are great games to play for all gamers.

From https://www.gamespot.com/articles/all-the-xbox-game-pass-titles-right-now/1100-6448286/https://www.gamespot.com/articles/all-the-xbox-game-pass-titles-right-now/1100-6448286/:

Xbox One

• Blood Bowl 2
  • The Book of Unwritten Tales 2
  • Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons
  • D4: Darks Dreams Don't Die
  • Defense Grid 2
  • Devil May Cry: Definitive Edition
  • Electronic Super Joy
  • Farming Simulator 15
  • Gears of War: Ultimate Edition
  • The Golf Club
  • Halo 5: Guardians
  • Halo: Spartan Assault
  • IDARB
  • JumpJet Rex
  • Knight Squad
  • Kyub
  • Layers of Fear
  • Lumo
  • Mad Max
  • Massive Chalice
  • Max: The Curse of Brotherhood
  • Mega Coin Squad
  • Mega Man Legacy Collection
  • NBA 2K16
  • OlliOlli
  • Payday 2: Crimewave Edition
  • Pumped BMX+
  • Resident Evil 0
  • Roundabout
  • Saints Row IV: Re-elected
  • ScreamRide
  • Shantae and the Pirate's Curse
  • Steredenn
  • Strider
  • Sunset Overdrive
  • Super Mega Baseball: Extra Innings
  • Super Time Force
  • The Swapper
  • Terraria
  • WWE 2K16
Xbox 360 (Playable on Xbox One)
  • A Kingdom for Keflings
  • A World of Keflings
  • Age of Booty
  • Alex Kidd & Co. (Sega Vintage Collection)
  • Banjo-Kazooie
  • Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts
  • Banjo-Tooie
  • Bionic Commando: Rearmed 2
  • BioShock
  • BioShock 2
  • BioShock Infinite
  • Borderlands
  • Bound by Flame
  • Braid
  • Capcom Arcade Cabinet
  • CastleStorm
  • Comic Jumper
  • Comix Zone
  • Dark Void
  • De Blob 2
  • Defense Grid
  • Dig Dug
  • Double Dragon Neon
  • Dungeons & Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara
  • Fable III
  • Final Fight: Double Impact
  • Flock
  • Galaga Legions DX
  • Gears of War
  • Gears of War 2
  • Gears of War 3
  • Gears of War: Judgment
  • Golden Axe (Sega Vintage Collection)
  • Grid 2
  • Hexic 2
  • IDARB
  • Iron Brigade
  • Jetpac Refuelled
  • Joe Danger: Special Edition
  • Joe Danger 2: The Movie
  • Joy Ride Turbo
  • Kameo
  • King of Fighters '98: Ultimate Match
  • Lego Batman: The Video Game
  • The Maw
  • Metal Slug 3
  • Monday Night Combat
  • Ms. Splosion Man
  • MX vs. ATV Reflex
  • N+
  • Neo Geo Battle Coliseum
  • Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising
  • Pac-Man CE DX+
  • Pac-Man Museum
  • Perfect Dark Zero
  • Sacred 3
  • Sam & Max: Beyond Time and Space
  • Sam & Max: Save The World
  • Samurai Shodown II
  • SoulCalibur
  • SoulCalibur II HD
  • Spelunky
  • Splosion Man
  • Stacking
  • Streets of Rage (Sega Vintage Collection)
  • Tekken Tag Tournament 2
  • Toy Soldiers
  • Toy Soldiers: Cold War
  • Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown
  • Viva Pinata
  • Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise
  • XCOM: Enemy Within
How's that looking? Seems quite a mixed bag to me. As others have said, for an instant library of cheap games, not bad. For the core gamer though, doubt there's much on there that'll entice. I don't see it being an alternative to buying $60 games unless you're happy to wait. PS+ has shown that doesn't pay off so much these days, with a real lack of quality titles appearing. Probably more likely to see MS 1st/2nd party AAA titles make the list.

How's that looking? Seems quite a mixed bag to me. As others have said, for an instant library of cheap games, not bad. For the core gamer though, doubt there's much on there that'll entice. I don't see it being an alternative to buying $60 games unless you're happy to wait. PS+ has shown that doesn't pay off so much these days, with a real lack of quality titles appearing. Probably more likely to see MS 1st/2nd party AAA titles make the list.

I don't understand why you're so negative on it.

That's looking great for a nice broad mix of games. Even for myself, a "core gamer" or even "enthusiast gamer", there are plenty of games that I would play that I otherwise would not have bought. I might even find a new series to get into and pick up the next new game from it. Immediately I see value in it for games I have never purchased or played before, including Mad Max, Saints Row IV, Braid, Age of Booty. That right there more than pays for itself even for a 2 month time-frame.

It's also looking amazingly great for anyone looking to get into the platform or was not a "core gamer". It'll be awesome for anyone to try out the "xbox experience" by being able to play something from all the signature series. That includes all the previous Gears of War games, the current Halo game, Fable, and Sunset Overdrive. It also allows them to sample very solid core experiences including the entire Bioshock Trilogy, Defense Grid 1 and 2, Saints Row IV, Borderlands, numerous platformers, sports games, fighting games, and vintage arcade games.

Well, that just gave me a reason to turn on my XBO again once I get some time.

Halo 5, Sunset Overdrive, Devil May Cry, Mad Max are standouts from the XBO list that I'm interested in but either didn't want to play full price (DMC, Mad Max) or weren't on PC (Halo 5, Sunset Overdrive). Some other stuff in the XBO list I'm slightly interested in but was never interested in enough to buy at anything higher than 5 USD.

Lots of stuff in the X360 list that I'd like to try out for similar reasons. Soul Calibur 2 especially I've wanted to check out but didn't want to pay for since I still have it on my original Xbox. And I didn't even know the original Soul Calibur was available on X360, so I'm excited for that one also. Toy Soldiers I'm interested in getting on PC, but don't know how good they are, so this would be a good way to try them out. I wish Fable 2 was on that list. Fable 3 is on there, so it's weird that Fable 2 isn't. Lots of other stuff there I remember being interested in, but not interested enough to buy.

Once I have time, I'll probably sub for 1 or 2 months. Then wait until next year to see what's been added.

Regards,
SB

It's a great idea, but the pricing is too steep for me especially given how many sales they have during the year and Games with Gold.

Something closer to actual Netflix subscription might be more enticing to me.

Back