Destiny 2

Rangers

Legend
Well obviously as the #1 Destiny player on B3D I guess I'm a natural to make this.

https://www.twitch.tv/bungie

Reveal stream begins in 8 minutes. So far I've seen rumors of pets, no new subclasses, no sparrows in the early part of the game, and troubled development/cut content whining. Not this shit again (the whining, not the content). Oh yeah, and a claim it looks as good as Horizon Zero Dawn, which excites me the most as I'm expecting major upgrade. I mean even if it obviously looks 80-90% as good that'd be great.

269k viewers on the twitch stream so far. Make that 285...311...344....398...what's the record for a Destiny stream? Topped out at 434 that I saw.

-All PVP activities 4v4. So that suggests many of the rumors yesterday are true since that was one of them.

-Luke says 50% of people who reached the level cap completed a raid. Amazingly high. But he says that means 50% didn't. But he's basically leading to Raid matchmaking or in game LFG or something. "Trials, Nightfall, and the Raids will finally be available to all players". "Someone to play with" touted as key design goal.

-Gameplay looks good, but like Destiny 1.75, which I expected. All the rumors appear true, such as Bubblebros are now "void Captain America". Cabal attacking the tower.

-Looks like now you have a kinetic primary and a elemental primary, 3rd slot Luke called a "power weapon" like grenade launcher or sniper. So looks like kinda no more special/heavy.

-New Supers look pretty cool, nice animation and effects. New hunter "Arcstrider". But it basically looks like Arc Blade.

-Can launch all activities without going to orbit

- 4 worlds shown, Earth, Titan, Io, and Nessus

Geez the GAF trolls surrounding this game in the main forum are horrendous. I bet they saved up bile all year waiting for this. They dont really go/arent allowed in the Destiny community threads but in the main forum, holy shit. And these hypocrites are the same ones that spooge all over every exclusive.

The lens with which I view Destiny 2 is it was a necessary evil because after they launched Destiny 1 they realized the engine was too difficult to update. So Destiny 2 was rushed out, even as they essentially abandoned Destiny 1 so all manpower could rush out 2. As such I dont expect the the world and you shouldn't either.

7 minutes gameplay from the stream

Last edited:
This actually looks pretty damn good, a definite step up or two in graphics than the first one. I like how they buffed up the campaign with tons more contents and cinematics, characters are charismatic with pretty cool design, I think I might just day one this, mainly for the admittedly damn good graphics.

This actually looks pretty damn good, a definite step up or two in graphics than the first one. I like how they buffed up the campaign with tons more contents and cinematics, characters are charismatic with pretty cool design, I think I might just day one this, mainly for the admittedly damn good graphics.

I guess you haven't gone on GAF where the trolls are all bitching about the "dated" graphics, "reused textures", etc etc...

Anyways lots of good stuff. Destiny 1.75 is a good way to put it I think. Not necessarily a full sequel but not a negative "1.5" sequel either IMO.

Most of the good stuff seemed to be in the area of community. We'll have to see how it works but if you can actually play things like Raids, Trials, easily almost like matchmaking but without matchmaking's downsides, it'll be amazing and kinda a huge step forward for all gaming. That's what I'm most excited about after the stream.

How they handle armor will be interesting, basically in that they badly need "transmog" (hate that word). So I can put cool looking armor skins on top of the good specced armor stats I already have. In 1, I dont care that much how I look anyway and IMO pretty much any combo of armor looks cool anyway. HOWEVER, I might be enticed to go after some of these cool armor sets, EXCEPT I already painstakingly specced/perked my armor how I want, so I know there' no way I'm going to ever get a full set of say raid armor that's also specced how I want, so I just dont bother with the whole thing. Transmog would fix that. And since cool looking armor sets are a big part of the microtransaction hooks in the game, it would greatly benefit Bungie to fix this.

Also they didn't mention anything about vault space, tee hee.

Looking forward to the youtube gurus breaking down every nuance of the news and gameplay footage in ways I wouldn't think to.

Last edited:
I guess somebody (known in Destiny community, Dr Lupo) at the event said on twitterDestiny 2 is 30 FPS on consoles, uncapped on PC. I dont care, but I'm sure the haters will have another field day bitching about a normal, entirely expected thing...

I wouldn't have minded 60 FPS, as well as some other things that seem to be important in MP like dedicated servers, and a higher tick rate or whatever, in MP only. But then again if it caused the visuals to suffer in MP I'd prefer 30. They can still do the dedicated servers and higher tick rate.

30fps are very bad for any action games (single and multiplayer). I find 30fps unplayable, whether with gamepad or mouse. 30fps are only okay for walking (simulators).

Considering the used system it looked dated too:
"To give you a rough idea of performance, the PC system that Bungie was running during the gameplay reveal was an i7-7700K 4.2GHz with 16GB of RAM and a GTX 1080Ti graphics card."

http://www.glixel.com/news/bungie-embraces-pc-with-destiny-2-w483017

It looked pretty good. Remember, we were watching very crap quality live video. Hardly indicative of the look of the game.
I love/hate Destiny and I'll probably end up getting it.
I thought it looked pretty good. The rain and particles especially. You can't really see texture detail in a video like that, but even then what I saw was pretty nice.

I guess you haven't gone on GAF where the trolls are all bitching about the "dated" graphics, "reused textures", etc etc...

Anyways lots of good stuff. Destiny 1.75 is a good way to put it I think. Not necessarily a full sequel but not a negative "1.5" sequel either IMO.

Most of the good stuff seemed to be in the area of community. We'll have to see how it works but if you can actually play things like Raids, Trials, easily almost like matchmaking but without matchmaking's downsides, it'll be amazing and kinda a huge step forward for all gaming. That's what I'm most excited about after the stream.

How they handle armor will be interesting, basically in that they badly need "transmog" (hate that word). So I can put cool looking armor skins on top of the good specced armor stats I already have. In 1, I dont care that much how I look anyway and IMO pretty much any combo of armor looks cool anyway. HOWEVER, I might be enticed to go after some of these cool armor sets, EXCEPT I already painstakingly specced/perked my armor how I want, so I know there' no way I'm going to ever get a full set of say raid armor that's also specced how I want, so I just dont bother with the whole thing. Transmog would fix that. And since cool looking armor sets are a big part of the microtransaction hooks in the game, it would greatly benefit Bungie to fix this.

Looking forward to the youtube gurus breaking down every nuance of the news and gameplay footage in ways I wouldn't think to.
I thought the game looked good. It looked graphically jumped from the older destiny. I think it's obvious at least to me, it leaves the old destiny in the dust. Everything about the game looks good, any improvement on the post TTK model is already an improvement on a good game.

I'd say it kinda looked like Destiny 1+ (graphically). Overall if I'm being honest I'd say that's slightly disappointing to me as I was hoping for something really good with the jump to current gen only. But it still looks pretty good.

But it's what I thought. Destiny 1 supercharged and on steroids. They didn't have time to do anything else. Destiny 2 was reactionary as I point out in the OP.

But yeah if I can jump right in to Raids or Trials that alone is really big.

Not sure I get why all PVP is 4v4 now. So, no rumble even? What is the point of that? I didn't mind 6v6 and 3v3 as is. My first thought is how in a 4v4 if one player from your side leaves you're probably screwed. But I guess they can drop in new players as now.

I'm absolutely no fan of combining Special with Heavy as that changes the game fundamentally. Nor do I like the Defender bubble change as it was an important strategic element for at least Raids and some NFs. 4v4 PvP implies smaller levels. I really don't get what they try to do there besides some cheap PvP latency fix as less people means less potential latency pitfalls.

Initial thoughts after seeing the stream and gameplay footage:
-Movement speed seems to be slower. Titan/warlock skating seems to be gone, so the overall pace in crucible seems slower.
-Supers seem to be a lot more powerful now. Golden gun has more shots, fist of havoc can be used more than once, and the warlock dawnblade looks really OP.
-I kind of like the changes to the weapon classes, but I'm not sure I like the frequency at which the power/heavy ammo spawns; It looks like it spawns like special ammo.
-The new ability thing when you hold the crouch button seems interesting and will add a nice dynamic to the gameplay.
-The HUD in PVP is nice. It shows everyone's subclass and who is alive/dead. Also displays your current location on the map, which will help with callouts.

Visually it looks really great, especially the opening mission they showed off the bat (maybe PC footage?). The other gameplay footage looked a bit worse, so maybe they had a mix of PC and console footage. Overall it looks like a nice stepup from D1 IMO. Wish it was 60fps on console, but oh well.

All in all, I'm very happy with what I saw and I'm so pumped for this game. The look and feel of Destiny is still there, but much better.

Here's some footage:
Strike (titan)
Strike (gunslinger)
Gunslinger PVP (Luminosity48)
Dawnblade PVP (Buttwipe from LaB)

Last edited:
I have to admit the strikes and stuff coming out now look awfully Destiny 1.5, the graphics might even be 1.1...for a normal person that may be Ok but for me with 2500+ hours...

Gaffers seemed pretty divided at the moment regarding the graphics shown tho I'm definitely partial to the much improved side. The particles and reflections in particular are stunning. I'm pretty new to the franchise having barely touched the first one, it does sound like a time investing game if you wanna be really good at it but for me the main grab is the story and visual design.

Gaffers seemed pretty divided at the moment regarding the graphics shown tho I'm definitely partial to the much improved side. The particles and reflections in particular are stunning. I'm pretty new to the franchise having barely touched the first one, it does sound like a time investing game if you wanna be really good at it but for me the main grab is the story and visual design.

"Time investing" is a slight understatement :D it's a completely life-sucking, time-crushing, relationship-ending kind of game.

Well obviously as the #1 Destiny player on B3D I guess I'm a natural to make this.

https://www.twitch.tv/bungie

Reveal stream begins in 8 minutes. So far I've seen rumors of pets, no new subclasses, no sparrows in the early part of the game, and troubled development/cut content whining. Not this shit again (the whining, not the content). Oh yeah, and a claim it looks as good as Horizon Zero Dawn, which excites me the most as I'm expecting major upgrade. I mean even if it obviously looks 80-90% as good that'd be great.

269k viewers on the twitch stream so far. Make that 285...311...344....398...what's the record for a Destiny stream? Topped out at 434 that I saw.

-All PVP activities 4v4. So that suggests many of the rumors yesterday are true since that was one of them.

-Luke says 50% of people who reached the level cap completed a raid. Amazingly high. But he says that means 50% didn't. But he's basically leading to Raid matchmaking or in game LFG or something. "Trials, Nightfall, and the Raids will finally be available to all players". "Someone to play with" touted as key design goal.

-Gameplay looks good, but like Destiny 1.75, which I expected. All the rumors appear true, such as Bubblebros are now "void Captain America". Cabal attacking the tower.

-Looks like now you have a kinetic primary and a elemental primary, 3rd slot Luke called a "power weapon" like grenade launcher or sniper. So looks like kinda no more special/heavy.

-New Supers look pretty cool, nice animation and effects. New hunter "Arcstrider". But it basically looks like Arc Blade.

-Can launch all activities without going to orbit

- 4 worlds shown, Earth, Titan, Io, and Nessus

Geez the GAF trolls surrounding this game in the main forum are horrendous. I bet they saved up bile all year waiting for this. They dont really go/arent allowed in the Destiny community threads but in the main forum, holy shit. And these hypocrites are the same ones that spooge all over every exclusive.

The lens with which I view Destiny 2 is it was a necessary evil because after they launched Destiny 1 they realized the engine was too difficult to update. So Destiny 2 was rushed out, even as they essentially abandoned Destiny 1 so all manpower could rush out 2. As such I dont expect the the world and you shouldn't either.

7 minutes gameplay from the stream

Impressive stuff. To me it looks as impressive as Battlefield 1 / Infinite Warfare...running on consoles...at 60fps.

Why are people cheering through it?

It looks weird to me when in first person and no head-bob, yet the gun is moving up and down like they're running. It's as though they're on wheels or something.

Back