Dreams : create, share & play [PS4, PS5]

Yeah, I know - I think if I had more spare time I would have continued...I had some cool ideas and as I did more I thought of more. Anyway, half the fun of LBP was the great levels players made - awesome stuff, can't wait to see what Dreams brings us!

A lot has been talked about the rendering and creation tools but has there been any info on the physics? LPB2 (don't know about the others) had rigid bodies, soft bodies and even 2d fluid dynamics.

In LBP3? Yeah, it's jstu the sheer amount of time needed to put something together and use all those features! Barrier to entry isn't so much the difficulty or complexity (although the complexity of LBP3 is a level above LBP2) but the amount of effort needed. I think where something like Minecraft works is the toolset is so minimal and the compromises so significant that players are happy to aim low and so achieve their goals of 'a house' or 'secret underground base'. In something really open ended it's easy for the imagination to take flight and the user to set off creating Toy Story 4 or a favourite 1980s game, lose momentum early on, and give up.

Which may not be a bad thing as it'll keep the content down to those who invest in it. ;)

Looking at my son, Minecraft wins by being a huge 3D world that can be completely shaped to your own liking. My son's world is a huge city at this point with loads of fantastical buildings (a handful co-crafted with me or with friends). It is that combined with relative simplicity which makes it such a success - it really is a lot like LEGO without running out of playroom, without running out of pieces, and in a vast world already made out of LEGOs. No wonder LEGO finally released LEGO Worlds last week.

LBP is just a really great level creator, that allows you to do a lot of really awesome stuff too, but it's not a world you shape around you. Neither is Dreams, from the looks of things, but it looks a bit more like that for sure, and it seems to give you complete creative freedom to a level that is unlike anything before it, so I reckon it will certainly be popular and being able to 3D print some of your creations or watch them in VR (hopefully) is going to be really popular I imagine.

Two new screens : first one recreated in Dreams , second one is the original

2ir839i.jpg

recreated in Dreams
C-5tXQTWsAAiUwL.jpg:large

Original http://kimerajam.deviantart.com/art/--420166612
C-bfF-PWAAE9K9P.jpg:large

Last edited:
I mean, the photo alone is incredible... where did he take it?...

It looks so much like CGI it's bonkers... like an inverse uncanny valley, where reality looks so surreal my brain can't accept that it isn't CGI no matter how much it looks like CGI.

Looks promising. But man, the wait for this title is ... tough!

Is it confirmed it'll be a PSVR title, or is that just wishful thinking?
Not confirmed. To the best of my knowledge MM have never mentioned PSVR and there is no mention of PSVR on the Dreams website. I think people have noted the use of the Move controllers and put 2 + 2 together and come up with 5.

I don't expect PSVR support.

Well Yoshida hinted that pic with dreams running on PSVR a year ago
http://i65.tinypic.com/ka5hkj.jpg

I don't think that is necessarily a hint, you can play all games in PSVR! :yes: Everything I've seen of Dreams thus far makes me think that it would not make for a cohesive VR experience except perhaps some of the creation tools using the Move controllers.

But the game side? Not much of what I've seen suggests that and this would be an added complicated for Dreams content creators, i.e. users having to support VR and non-VR perspectives.

Two new screens : first one recreated in Dreams , second one is the original

2ir839i.jpg

Excuse me, but... WHAT THE FUCK is that? Seriously, why aren't people just crazy about this game?!?! No aliasing, no effing polygon edges, nice picture quality, translucency, etc. And we're supposed to see this working real-time.

I can't stop being so impressed by the graphics of this game. How come we're past the burden of blocky polygons (even with the limits this game may have) and it just seems to be a "cool" new feature, what-e-ver??? Yes, I know everything else I mentioned before, besides the nice geometry, is achieved in other games, but these worlds without polygons amaze me... Maybe other studios (or them themselves) will start from there and improve it with new techniques that will allow other graphical features as well as better animations, but heck, in the meantime they have ALL my attention.

Excuse me, but... WHAT THE FUCK is that? Seriously, why aren't people just crazy about this game?!?!

Because of that. While Dreams is incredibly interesting from a technology standpoint, it's a huge unknown from a gaming standpoint. Game creation software had offered both huge potential and huge limitations from as far back as Gary Kitchen's GameMaker for the Commodore 64 to Project Spark.

Because of that. While Dreams is incredibly interesting from a technology standpoint, it's a huge unknown from a gaming standpoint. Game creation software had offered both huge potential and huge limitations from as far back as Gary Kitchen's GameMaker for the Commodore 64 to Project Spark.
Hm, yes, you're right. However, this is a tech forum and I expected just a bit more enthusiasm towards it. :mrgreen:

At any rate, I hope this tech can be used in other games... or that the games created in Dreams are good enough, at least a few of them.

Hm, yes, you're right. However, this is a tech forum and I expected just a bit more enthusiasm towards it. :mrgreen:.
Well they've not shown much so seven pages of enthusiasm is pretty good! :yes:

I'm an old gamer, which makes me a realist. I've seen lots of cool tech demos that have resulted in poor games so I'll reserve judgement on the game itself. The technology itself is undoubtably very, very cool indeed.

Well they've not shown much so seven pages of enthusiasm is pretty good! :yes:
It's just I got the impression that the excitement about this game is mainly due to its concept and coming from Media Molecule, overall, rather than the technology behind it. ;)

Maybe other studios (or them themselves) will start from there and improve it with new techniques that will allow other graphical features as well as better animations, but heck, in the meantime they have ALL my attention.

It seems sebbbi´s new endeavor is doing just that.
Also, I´m very exited about this project if only from a technical perspective, but as other´s pointed out, there hasn´t been enough info to talk about yet. All it´s cool features come with their own slew of setbacks too. Once the engine is closer to finalized, and we see it running on real ps4´s and we can analyse for real what the trade-offs are, there is not much to do besides wait.

Excuse me, but... WHAT THE FUCK is that? Seriously, why aren't people just crazy about this game?!?! No aliasing, no effing polygon edges, nice picture quality, translucency, etc.

Dreams does not use polygons... so aliasing, object edges and effects are handled in a different way.

And the game can reproduce many types of art styles, from litterary paintings coming to life
dreams_z8yu.jpg

to mecha
Dreams-PS4-PSX-screenshot-03-Scifi.png

And we're supposed to see this working real-time.
But... it is in realtime. :D YouTube is filled with realtime demos of this game [both editor and gameplay sections].

For example

Dreams does not use polygons... so aliasing, object edges and effects are handled in a different way.
I know. That's why I said it. Polygons are not there, so I don't have to "suffer" noticing them.

But... it is in realtime. :D YouTube is filled with realtime demos of this game [both editor and gameplay sections].
I know, too. ;-) I watched a lot of them.

Back