Microsoft UWP Discussion

Microsoft is desperate to break their chains to x86 CPUs (more than stealing Steam from people or getting a cut from all software sold IMO) so we'll keep seeing these maneuvers here and there. At least as long as Intel has a stagnated monopoly in x86 offerings while ARM SoCs continue to rise in performance so fast.
Could you expand on this one? Catching up here and this part of your comment caught my eye.

Could you expand on this one? Catching up here and this part of your comment caught my eye.
What do you think needs expanding?
- Intel not being able/willing to release full SoCs carrying their high-performance CPU cores.
- Being stuck with LPDDR3, DDR3L and DDR4 (at least until mid-2018) when ARM SoCs have been using up-to 2x faster LPDDR4 for 2 years.
- GPU performance in their offerings being stagnated for >3 years (GT2 iGPUs have been essentially the same thing since 2013's Broadwell and GT3e is a needle in the stack) when higher-end ARM SoCs are getting much more powerful and diverse GPUs each year -> in no small part due to adopting fresh memory technologies that allow much higher bandwidth without resorting to eDRAM tricks.
- Lack of competition from AMD leading to ridiculous margins for Intel chips and a huge chunk of the BoM going into the CPU alone.

Why would Microsoft want to keep having Windows dragged down by Intel's monopoly?

I just followed this one through, oh man, Tim is going nutty.
This reply tweet was actually pretty funny

https://twitter.com/n1xd0rf/status/859749977639329792
Wow Tim couldn't have been more rekt...

All that concern about Windows turning evil for all these years, yet as chairman + CEO + technical director + major shareholder of Epic all he does about it is sending mean tweets, while feeding the market's dependence on Windows 10 through DX12.

Last edited:
Sweeney wants to use UWP, your windows ID, Xbox Live without paying MS 30%:

That's all. But what it then the difference to Steam?
Sweeney has been trolling Microsoft ever since Epic Games essentially became a Tecent subsidiary. It's the same dude who is constantly paid to be on stage at every Nvidia keynote to say nothing, alongside Jensen who spits nothing but BS. The same guy who's happy to proclaim that Epic's most successful product to date is a friggin iOS shit-tier game Infinity Blade. That every closed ecosystem and store is crap..but then Epic develops RoboRecall which is Oculus exclusive etc... He is not to be listened too. He launched a FUD campaign and got called out by many and even Xbox's VP Phil Spencer gently reminded him that he was present during several roundtables at Microsoft when UWP was discussed but didn't seem to really be overly bothered by it at that time...Microsoft simply isn't playing ball with him (or paying him like Nvidia, Oculus do..).

What do you think needs expanding?
- Intel not being able/willing to release full SoCs carrying their high-performance CPU cores.
- Being stuck with LPDDR3, DDR3L and DDR4 (at least until mid-2018) when ARM SoCs have been using up-to 2x faster LPDDR4 for 2 years.
- GPU performance in their offerings being stagnated for >3 years (GT2 iGPUs have been essentially the same thing since 2013's Broadwell and GT3e is a needle in the stack) when higher-end ARM SoCs are getting much more powerful and diverse GPUs each year -> in no small part due to adopting fresh memory technologies that allow much higher bandwidth without resorting to eDRAM tricks.
- Lack of competition from AMD leading to ridiculous margins for Intel chips and a huge chunk of the BoM going into the CPU alone.

Why would Microsoft want to keep having Windows dragged down by Intel's monopoly?

Wow Tim couldn't have been more rekt...

All that concern about Windows turning evil for all these years, yet as chairman + CEO + technical director + major shareholder of Epic all he does about it is sending mean tweets, while feeding the market's dependence on Windows 10 through DX12.
I think I wanted to just know more about the need to move away from x86, but I think you've written it out clearly for me here. If I think I'm following correctly, the writing is on the wall that ARM will surpass x86 in volume/adoption and that's ultimately where MS wants to be (much like Apple is making the same moves) ?

I think I wanted to just know more about the need to move away from x86, but I think you've written it out clearly for me here. If I think I'm following correctly, the writing is on the wall that ARM will surpass x86 in volume/adoption and that's ultimately where MS wants to be (much like Apple is making the same moves) ?
the way I see it:
it's not about writing on the wall, it's about being able to run on as much diverse hardware as possible. That gives a lot more options from top to bottom. Flexibility from servers to low end laptops.
also if they can move people to writing native uwp apps, then it will run on either x86 & arm (without need for the x86 emulation)
the emulation will help get them over the migration period, but native x86/win32 really isn't in their active development future.

I'm pretty sure the Surface Phone was scheduled for this year and would be based on an Atom of sorts. Intel forced Microsoft's hand by gutting their mobile efforts. Intel will never be in phones again, at least not with a x86.

MS already tried to go the route with different builds for different architectures with WinRT and failed.

Windows is the strongest client OS in the world because of it's huge application library, a large part of which is Win32 legacy apps. MS needs x86 Win32 compatibility or there is no point in running Windows.

Cheers

Windows is the strongest client OS in the world because of it's huge application library, a large part of which is Win32 legacy apps. MS needs x86 Win32 compatibility or there is no point in running Windows.
Exactly legacy apps.
When I say migration period, I'm not talking months. I'm talking years.
Being able to run them on arm will be hugely beneficial to being able to run on diverse hardware.

Even without the mobile phone side of things, arm is moving through the stack of hardware.

But MS will not actively develop win32 any more.

I'm pretty sure the Surface Phone was scheduled for this year and would be based on an Atom of sorts. Intel forced Microsoft's hand by gutting their mobile efforts. Intel will never be in phones again, at least not with a x86.

MS already tried to go the route with different builds for different architectures with WinRT and failed.

Cheers
there are advantages to the Store like automatic updates, no viruses, etc, but the store design leaves a lot to be desired and in the end it is not as free as the device -PC- it's running on. Another issue is that Store apps lack any kind of distinct aspect in my eyes, they all look the same and very phone like to me.

With your typical Win32 apps, the interface is usually more beautiful and varied. Not to mention functional --store apps do weird things at times.

Exactly legacy apps.
When I say migration period, I'm not talking months. I'm talking years.
Being able to run them on arm will be hugely beneficial to being able to run on diverse hardware.

Even without the mobile phone side of things, arm is moving through the stack of hardware.

But MS will not actively develop win32 any more.

I work for a company that makes win32 apps. We have no intention of moving over to UWP.

I work for a company that makes win32 apps. We have no intention of moving over to UWP.

Do you know what win32 api items you use that aren't available in UWP?

UWP does not support a lot of low level code.

Shared memory, pipes, loading dll at runtime etc. It's very limited.

i don't see win32 going any where any time soon.
but i also see ms seeing it as a legacy platform.
i expect that they will continue to expand uwp to support missing functionality over time, obviously certain things they'll not wont to bring into uwp though.

build coming up so should learn more by end of next week.

there are advantages to the Store like automatic updates, no viruses, etc, but the store design leaves a lot to be desired and in the end it is not as free as the device -PC- it's running on. Another issue is that Store apps lack any kind of distinct aspect in my eyes, they all look the same and very phone like to me.

With your typical Win32 apps, the interface is usually more beautiful and varied. Not to mention functional --store apps do weird things at times.

I remember the Apple App Store was seen as being secure, but didn't that also end up with malware/malicious code-applications on the site?
Cheers

I remember the Apple App Store was seen as being secure, but didn't that also end up with malware/malicious code-applications on the site?
Cheers
that's what they told me like a year ago, that things have changed -that was from an apple user- and there were viruses in the app store too. Maybe that's why many compromised photos of celebrities have been leaked. There is a famous hacker here who says -unexpectedly and surprisingly- that Windows is the safest OS. Why? He says.... Because it is so attacked, it has been so attacked, that they release constant security updates on everything.

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/news/odds-ends
Crossplay is coming:
We’ve touched on Xbox Arena before, so astute Halo Wars 2 players no doubt already knew that, but during our 10/17 live stream we also dropped breaking news of another new feature coming in the next game update – Crossplay for Xbox and Windows 10 PCs! As an Xbox Play Anywhere title, players have the ability to enjoy Halo Wars 2 on their console or PC, but up until now that has not included cross-platform online play. Crossplay has been a passion project for the team and frankly was something we weren’t sure would be feasible to incorporate at this stage in the game’s development. The team has worked hard to deliver this feature and final testing indicates it’s ready for release into the wild. Crossplay, Arena support, and the Xbox One X visual enhancements are all targeted for release in late October.

Back