Microsoft Xbox One X Scorpio Price Prediction and Reaction

Predict Scorpio's launch price:

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I was thinking what if MS' strategy is to get the S to be really really cheap... $199 with deals this holiday while keeping Scorpio $450-500? They want to sell as many Ones as they can so it's important for S to sell. S users can later on 'upgrade' to scorpio when it's then the bottom-end sku? The only way for them to expand the user base in a meaningful way is with the S at this point.

This could make sense IMHO - make the S the Trojan Horse to get the marketshare back up

This could make sense IMHO - make the S the Trojan Horse to get the marketshare back up
I think the xbox one will be with us a long time. 7nm we should see a intel nuc sized xbox one with no optical drive. Just a pure DD device at very low prices perhaps as low as $100 in which you can buy an xbox one and attach it to any tv in the house and have all your digital content to enjoy and then you can have a single scoprio on your 4k device to play the best editions of those games. As time goes on scorpio gets cheaper and replaces more of those xbox ones

I'd love for a really cheap Xbox streaming box that could run the Xbox Apps locally and stream Game playing from a Scorpio+ console.

When my TV went down, I just streamed to my laptop until I found a suitable replacement. And while streaming was serviceable, I wouldn't call it ideal.

I wouldn't mind the Xbox one S hardware minus the optical drive and maybe the internal HDD (BYOD might suffice for such a solution) in order to drive down cost. On a secondary setup, I can live with 900p to 4K upscaling and relatively consistent performance more than I can the lag and it's effect and inconsistency on responsiveness and image quality with degradation that at times can look much worse than upscaled 4K.

Physical disc would still be an option even without a drive because u could just load the disk into Scorpio and making the license available to any other Xbox device on the same wifi network.

Plus I like the ideal of maintaining a backup drive for my games. So whether it's a external serving as a backup to my internal drive or a backup of a primary external drive, a BYOD solution allows my backup to serve another function and not simply collect dust until it's needed. Plus it would allow my backup to stay current with up to date patches.

Last edited:
if they did make such a device in the future, it wouldn't necessarily have to be x1 based.
it could be 7nm Scorpio based, with say third of cu's with them clocked slower, with 8 gddr5, or 8gb hbm if cheap stuff becomes available.
8gb ddr3 may not be much cheaper by then.

could be a few benefits to going that route than shrinking down x1 soc again.

I like to see a XB1 equivalent hardware as a handheld device alongside Scorpio S in future.
one would have to ask if 7nm was enough for this to make it possible.
I'm not sure, it might be extremely tight, maybe still a touch too tight for this to exist just based off node shrink alone. I'd feel there'd have to be additional work to make this work.
I was thinking along the lines of a portable S, but not necessarily a handheld, something as big as a notebook that could easily adapt to a monitor, be powered by USB-C etc.

IMO what would be cooler is a TV dongle with an optional handheld dock, so you could plug the dongle into the handset to get a portable console. Overengineered, redundant, and inconvenient for most users would probably prefer to just leave the dongle in the TV, but it'd be cool!

28nm to 14nm brought it from 108W to 74W. Don't expect miracles from 7nm.

Remember there are some fixed power drains. I doubt the hardrive was reduced in power nor the optical drive and most likely the ram stayed the same.

Removing the hardrive and optical drive and replacing it with nand would reduce power usage. Also going from DDR3 to LVDDR3 or even LVDDR4 would reduce power again.

This intel Nuc is 72w http://www.pcworld.com/article/3074...n-nuc-smashes-all-mini-pc-preconceptions.html

For a compute stick they'd have to get under 10w I would suppose
http://www.anandtech.com/show/9167/intel-compute-stick-review/5

I'm going $349. All in.
That would be great!!! I'm just not sure they are willing to take that much of a loss selling such a"premium" style product. The lowest I think they could go is $399.99 and that would most likely be a 500gb hard drive model.

That would be great!!! I'm just not sure they are willing to take that much of a loss selling such a"premium" style product. The lowest I think they could go is $399.99 and that would most likely be a 500gb hard drive model.
1TB hdd is the base model.

Back