BUHOCGg.jpg

Kingpin Life of crime
Has no stencil shadow option just shadows on/off
petpkSf.jpg

Chaser may have them shadow option are none/blob/projected
eF8IsNL.jpg

How about UberSoldier ?
eaPBaNi.jpg

How about Enclave from the same devs that did Riddick ?
vAjQqP9.jpg

Last edited:
Oh, so it's just NPC/enemy shadows in Elite Force 2? Looks like they're roughly the same as Jedi Outcast's glitchy shadows

yep dont have any save games and the lighting on the enterprise isnt conducive to casting shadows
but chairs ect didnt have shadows

I can't see a thing (keeping polite) in your Kingpin shot ; here is an example

13763-kingpin-life-of-crime-windows-screenshot-rooftop-gang-war.jpg

(I wonder if they cheap out if enemies/people are more than two or are far away)

It never occurred to me that in games like this the main character (yourself) ought to have his own shadow :LOL:
Ranks very high on things you can get away with.

The map itself does have awesome shadowing (in quake 1/2/3 based games), fixed and pre-renderred when "compiling" the map. So if a desk is part of the map it possibly has "shadows". (painted on the floor, so if you were to slide a crate in, it would cover the shadow)
So.. good thing there's almost nothing except the map and the NPCs.

Last edited:
I can't see a thing
I dont know how to tell if a shadow is a stencil shadow. I'm just going by if it looks like elite force 2 it could be

Elite force 1 doesnt have stencil shadows
Soldier of Fortune also by raven software doesnt have a stencil shadow option just
off/blob/projected
but despite having projected selected I couldnt see any character shadows
edit: they do have shadows its just many levels are at night or poorly lit
shadows are dynamic as well
tqZ7ZY4.jpg

Last edited:
with Sof 2 was using ingame msaa 4x
it also uses nvidia register combiners if they are still supported dont know if that info is meaningful
wouldnt ssaa aa everything ?

ps: found this line in the cfg file
seta r_stencilbits "8"

Last edited:
I've got some Balls 2:

Trials 2 Second Edition:

Both games used similar uniform lighting model. Every object casts and receives shadows from every light source. Unlike Doom 3, my tech used a fully GPU-based stencil volume extrusion. In Trials 2 SE there's usually around 30 light sources in the screen at once (each casting shadow from every object). I used various tricks to reduce the stencil fillrate cost. Lighting shader was executed only for the pixels that received light from that light source. Trials 2 SE is using deferred rendering. IGSB 2 is using forward rendering. Lighting shaders in IGSB 2 were written in DXASM. SM 2.0 had 64 instruction limit... IGSB 2 main lighting shader is 63 instructions. At that time I had a Radeon 9700 Pro (ATIs first DX9 GPU). Trials 2 SE shaders are a bit simpler because of deferred rendering. Don't remember instruction counts, etc.

Cool post, sebbbi. There any way to play I've Got Some Balls 2? I see the first up for download a couple places but not the second

Also I guess we can rule out Duke Nukem Forever, too. That's all shadow maps. I'd be curious to know if the lighting's all deferred

Technically Ico and Shadow of the Colossus use stencil shadows but I didn't include them largely because they're only used for characters, colossi and wildlife

Looks like we can add Shadowgrounds to list, then

And speaking of Frozenbyte, are there stencil shadows in the first Trine? I don't remember

I'd be curious if there are any other PS2 titles that attempt to do something like unified lighting besides Stolen. I know the Stolen devs were putting together this FPS prototype before they were shuttered, and it's pretty impressive

makes me wonder what the PS2 ports of Splinter Cell could've been were they not quick and dirty jobs

I'd be curious if there are any other PS2 titles that attempt to do something like unified lighting besides Stolen. I know the Stolen devs were putting together this FPS prototype before they were shuttered, and it's pretty impressive

Didn't know of either. Great discovery.

Nintendo DS has a really limited 1-bit stencil buffer that's there specifically for shadows. That combined with the lack of any really practical way to do shadows otherwise means it's the standard for just about every 3D game on the system.

Secret Service Security Breach. The game sucks, but the tech was impressive. It cam out before Doom 3.

Back