Formula 1 - 2017 Season

It was a really enjoyable race for me. My only worry is that part of the excitement was generated by the wether conditions and wont be repeatable

It's still insane and really unprofessional.

It's like going to get a haircut and saying to the barber: hey only cut one hair and then let me see so I can judge the haircut. Okay that hair is fine, do the rest now in the same way
That's going to be an ugly haircut and not what you wanted
Except they always start with 1 cylinder designs. Remember when RB got shitty at Renault and got ilmor in to do a redesign of Renault existing engine, well want to guess what they delivered, yep a single cylinder. Renault ultimately ended up hiring ilmor.

These JTI ignition systems are crazy. The rules only allow one injector a cylinder but these designs have two chambers, these two chambers need very different amounts of fuel, like 3% in the pre chamber and 97% in the main, all sprayed from the one injector. Where are you going to start designing something like this? Yes, at 1 cylinder. 1 cylinder worked fine, 6 ended up with issues. They have know about the issues from the first moment they have run the engines ( in December) and as a result they have had to rework potentially the entire Core of the ICE, this takes months.

So guess what, from December to now months have passed and Honda have a new engine spec ready and they will testing it in the Car in the test day after the Bahrain GP. If they are testing it in the car one would assume its running on the DYNO without the same problems so all going well its a new engine without issue ready to go in Sochi.

Except they always start with 1 cylinder designs. Remember when RB got shitty at Renault and got ilmor in to do a redesign of Renault existing engine, well want to guess what they delivered, yep a single cylinder. Renault ultimately ended up hiring ilmor.

These JTI ignition systems are crazy. The rules only allow one injector a cylinder but these designs have two chambers, these two chambers need very different amounts of fuel, like 3% in the pre chamber and 97% in the main, all sprayed from the one injector. Where are you going to start designing something like this? Yes, at 1 cylinder. 1 cylinder worked fine, 6 ended up with issues. They have know about the issues from the first moment they have run the engines ( in December) and as a result they have had to rework potentially the entire Core of the ICE, this takes months.

So guess what, from December to now months have passed and Honda have a new engine spec ready and they will testing it in the Car in the test day after the Bahrain GP. If they are testing it in the car one would assume its running on the DYNO without the same problems so all going well its a new engine without issue ready to go in Sochi.
Yes, I know you start with 1 cylinder, but my point is that the first time you run the whole assembly is not in the car.

It's amateurish. They had that stupid oil tank problem which also was a brain fart and if taken on its own, it's not a big deal but in the context of this, let's not call in an engine, this vibrator it is quite telling.

Congrats to Bottas on his first pole.

Congrats to Honda for making an excellent MGU-H which can torpedo an internal combustion engine in a flawless manner. :( :( :(

Seems Ferrari are good on race pace and won the Bahrain GP.
Is it time already for Mercedes to start favouring one driver over the other to ensure that they are in the lead for the driver's championship which will aide their chances of winning the constructor's championship?
I would hazard a guess that many Nico Rosberg haters have a new found respect for him or am I being overly critical of Bottas' race form?

Is it time already for Mercedes to start favouring one driver over the other to ensure that they are in the lead for the driver's championship which will aide their chances of winning the constructor's championship?
I would hazard a guess that many Nico Rosberg haters have a new found respect for him or am I being overly critical of Bottas' race form?
Well, Bottas was parachuted into the team unexpectedly.

Also he was hampered in the Bahrain GP because the team messed up his tyre pressures due to a faulty generator on the grid which meant they couldn't bleed the tyres properly before the race.

Anyway, it is good that there's competition at the top but I am still not getting over how bad McLaren's start of the season is and how badly Honda is doing.

I would say you are, for example at Bahrain his race was compromised by the team on more than one occasion, by accident or not is irrelevant (wrong tyre pressures at start as confirmed by Wolff, putting him on supersofts even though they said all the data said softs are better)

--
While Ferrari has the pace, their strategy department is still a mess.
They ran Kimi - just like last race - far too long on dead tires forcing Kimi practically to beg on team radio for pitstop - this cost them at least podium in Bahrain, possibly even 1-2 finish (messing up the actual pitstops when they finally happened didn't help either)

edit: someone counted that Ferrari screw-ups cost Kimi between 16 to 22 seconds in Bahrain

Maybe Kimi needs to start overtaking on the first lap instead of being overtaken.
That doesn't change the fact that FERRARI screwups cost him that 16-22 seconds, sure he lost another 6-10 secs behind Massa that can be counted as his own fault but that's only 1 part of the issue

His own faults are the cause of his problems so maybe if he'd do his job and stop getting overtaken all the time the strategy part will work out for him better as well.

His own faults are the cause of his problems so maybe if he'd do his job and stop getting overtaken all the time the strategy part will work out for him better as well.
Err, do you actually think strategy is set in stone before the race? It's not, and the reason they have strategists is that they read the race and pull the drivers to the pits on best possible moments. And best possible moment is never when you're driving several seconds slower per lap with dead tyres, it's before the tyres die. Kimi's pace was identical to Sebs as soon as he got the pitstop he needed few laps earlier - that one Ferrari mistake alone cost him around 10 seconds, and would have costed more if he hadn't yelled to them on team radio, and in the end it costed the team podium place.

Ferrari strategy is not a mess compared to last year! They have won two races because of it not despite it.

By the way loving the racing itself. This season is turning out to be a treat for F1 fans.

Ferrari strategy is not a mess compared to last year! They have won two races because of it not despite it.

By the way loving the racing itself. This season is turning out to be a treat for F1 fans.
Let me rephrase: Ferraris strategy is a mess for one of their drivers. There's no reasonable explanation why they use effective undercuts for one and wait for the other one to beg on team radio to get a pitstop after several laps on dead tyres

Poor Kimi needs better starts (I think there could be an echo in here) and a better first part stint pace.
I think he drives better once the car has shed some fuel whereas Vettel is a better all rounder.
Anyone see Nasr's tweet to Renault about Palmer? Savage...

C9n_jnaXYAAF_m5.jpg

Last edited:
Poor Kimi needs better starts (I think there could be an echo in here) and a better first part stint pace.
The pace was fine as soon as he got rid of Massa on 1st stint too, things started going south after Ferrari messed first tyre change which threw him back behind Massa, and then forced him to stay out driving seconds slower per lap with dead tyres 'till he practically begged for pitstop on radio, which after he was again driving the same pace as Vettel

Good news about the fins. They look stupid. Halo isn't scrapped, they'll be using it next year when the 'shield' doesn't work.

Sent from my SM-G928C using Tapatalk

A prime example of how the FIA is unable to act quickly. Just ban these fugly things immediately, but no they have to wait a year to not tread on anyone's feet...

Back