Microsoft Xbox One X Scorpio Price Prediction and Reaction

Predict Scorpio's launch price:

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mrcorbo

Foo Fighter
Veteran
Since we did so well last time, let's try this again. Predict Scorpio's launch price point and then post your explanation for your choice.
  • You can change your vote, but if you do, please explain why.
  • Comments regarding PlayStations of any designation are only welcome when used to provide context to choices.
  • Comments about prices leading to success/failure are only welcome when providing context to why your choice is better.
  • Comments about posters are not welcome, for any reason.
Let's do the mods and ourselves a solid and try to keep this one clean. Remember, if you feel a post doesn't belong here or has no merit, ignoring it is often the best option.

For Context, the following is the Base System SKU we're Price Predicting:

CPU: 2.3Ghz - 8 Customized Jaguar Cores
GPU: 1172MHz - 40 Customized Compute Units
RAM: 326GB/second - 12GB GDDR5
HDD: 1TB 2.5" Hard Drive
OPD: 4K UHD BluRay Drive

Last edited by a moderator:
They need to hit nothing higher than $450 esp with these specs (not saying it's not great because it is overall) but since it uses current gen tech, they should be able to hit $400-450.

I won't bite until <$400

Still think $499 for bottom-tier model. It's going to be part of a contiguous product line with Xbox One S per Phil Spencer. I think there will be a $100 gap with top tier of Xbox One S and a $200 gap with cheapest Xbox One S solidifying the positioning as "value" and "premium" options.

$399, although I find I'm mostly disappointed in my predictions as they are almost certainly higher priced than I wish/want it to be.

Xbox One S ranges from about $250-$299 with the varying bundles right now and since most of the changes to Scorpio are evolved CPU/GPU sans the cooling solution and extra RAM (maybe missing something) I can see that it could be a sub-$400 offering and still be considered premium.

If they throw in an Elite controller with it, then maybe $499, but I doubt it...lol

I'm voting for $449 as the Base System SKU with normal pack-ins like normal game controller and maybe a base game.

I want there to be an upgrade option program where one can trade in their Xbox One or Xbox One S base console and you get the new Xbox Scorpio base unit for $300.

However, all bets are off if they only go with Crazy Premium SKUs that include Xbox Elite Controller and/or an amazing 4K Showcase game like Middle Earth: Shadow of War. I think they will have a Forza 6 Bundle if it's releasing in the fall, but not everyone likes track racing games and I don't see much draw for a rebundle of Gears of War 4 or Forza Horizon 3 with 4K updates.

$449 is reasonable, $499 higher end and $399 is an aggressive price point.

Scorpio branded as Xbox One Elite and bundled with Elite controller - $499

They can even bundle with free copies of Elite: Dangerous and Sniper Elite 4 for maximum Eliteness.

Obviously joking about the second bit, but that first part, they could market the shit out of that.

$399, although I find I'm mostly disappointed in my predictions as they are almost certainly higher priced than I wish/want it to be.

Xbox One S ranges from about $250-$299 with the varying bundles right now and since most of the changes to Scorpio are evolved CPU/GPU sans the cooling solution and extra RAM (maybe missing something) I can see that it could be a sub-$400 offering and still be considered premium.

If they throw in an Elite controller with it, then maybe $499, but I doubt it...lol
right, 400$ here too.

Last edited by a moderator:

Stop stealing my thunder!

I was going to say the exact thing, we've seen many bundles including at least one game plus something else going for $250 for the XB1S. That should be the official price point when Scorpio hits the shelves, meaning they can position it at $349 and still maintain the clear $100 price difference. They could certainly do it at $399, as the $150 difference makes a clear statement as to which is the premium product as premium is the word they keep using. But there's two things here. First is their desire to position it as the most powerful console and a premium product. That's hard to sell to consumers psychologically if the PS4 PRO is more expensive and has "Pro" in the title. Although, I just checked and it looks like the Pro's are selling for $399 already. The second, of course, is that MS wants Xbox to be a profit center so they'll want to launch as high as they can.

I think it'll be over $400, but it should launch at $399 and would need to be to make me buy one.

It has the same die size and the launch Xbox One, lots of the Dev cost are from that console and there is no Kinect. Sony came out the gate at 399 with similar size soc and GDDR5, I think Microsoft will be targeting that cost, it's premium over the One S but still very customer friendly, and if it's mid gen they cannot in my mind chase top early adopter dollars.

I voted 449. I would have said 499 before we learned about the surprisingly high clock and small die, and the power/noise lottery (which I consider engineering desperation, send the good ones to journalists, but don't throw away the crap ones, overvolt until the pass?), and the borderline power supply specs (if true, it might be a typo), which all indicate a careful focus on keeping the cost low.

I think they will be tracking ps4 pro plus $50. It's a nice place to be, more power for only a bit more money.

So if sony doesn't drop the price before E3, it will be 449. If sony drops to 349, scorpio will be more agressive with a small loss on the hardware, 399. But I don't think this likely. It also won't happen until they are no longer supply constrained, in the case where sony would announce right at E3 after ms conference. They would just make their usual temp drops for BF etc...

I'm going to guess $450. I think Sony will do a price cut on PS4 Pro, and it'll still end up being $75-100 more than PS4 Pro at launch.

From what I'm reading in youtube comments in Digital Foundry's video it has no games... that reminds me of true 64bit beasts like Atari Jaguar vs puny PS1, & 32bit 3DO vs the SNES, thus given the lack of 3rd & 1st party software they will have to sell it at $249 if they want to move units.

Just kidding, $499

Back