WTF is a Generation? *PissOff from Scorpio Thread*

Nesh

Double Agent
Legend
I am confused. now. So is Scorpio a true next gen upgrade? Or not?
And it it is, wouldnt that require that it has exclusive titles not available on One?

I am confused. now. So is Scorpio a true next gen upgrade? Or not?
And it it is, wouldnt that require that it has exclusive titles not available on One?

A verified developer has stated that it is a true generational upgrade.. Nobody else went on record to state otherwise, or anything.

A game which runs on a Intel i6900 octacore processor with dual 1080 ti extreme titan x GPU's still runs on a core 2 quad with 8800 as well..

Of course it's a generational leap...PC gaming is probably dead now considering how much of a leap it is.

After Bungie left he kind of became their most cherished exclusive third-party developer so it is only natural that he gets the Scorpio dev kits first.

We're seriously calling a 5x increase in the most increased piece of the hardware, everything else being increased by far less, a generational advance in hardware?

We're seriously calling a 5x increase in the most increased piece of the hardware, everything else being increased by far less, a generational advance in hardware?

It is also disrespectful towards Xbox One; because it would imply it was not in the same generation as the PS4 amateur

not that I'm following the arguments presented above, but to be fair, numbers shouldn't be indicative of performance.
It used to be about MHz, then it became about the number of cores... etc.

The numbers are representative of the physical amount of load the console can handle, it's not necessarily the actual amount of performance the box is capable of.
I'm certainly wary about defining generations by the power differential; there's more to it than just power.
Perhaps a pointless and irrelevant (duh) comparison, but a hypothetical 6 TF 3DFX Voodoo one card with the same physical specs and resource specs will not have the same output as Pascal at the same spec level. The feature set is just not the same and efficiency and all that jazz.

Well it was a bit tongue in cheek, but PS4 to pro is 2x and XBO to Scorpio is 4-5x so technically it is more of a generational leap.

It is also disrespectful towards Xbox One; because it would imply it was not in the same generation as the PS4 amateur

It's not being disrespectful at all, MS themselves have said you will notice the power difference between Pro and Scorpio and as I said 'more of a generational leap' - I didn't say it actually was a generational leap.

It's not being disrespectful at all, MS themselves have said you will notice the power difference between Pro and Scorpio and as I said 'more of a generational leap' - I didn't say it actually was a generational leap.

Microsoft earlier said a 30% power difference is not going to be noticeable and many Xbox fans agreed. Now MS is saying you will notice a 30% power difference..

If a 30% difference means a generational leap then it should have meant so as well in 2013, would you not agree?

Microsoft earlier said a 30% power difference is not going to be noticeable and many Xbox fans agreed. Now MS is saying you will notice a 30% power difference..

If a 30% difference means a generational leap then it should have meant so as well in 2013, would you not agree?

I'm not quite sure why you're using several quotes and mixing them up like that.

Clearly PS4 & XBO are the same 'generation'. MS said you won't see the difference - and (like last gen) unless you had a keen eye it rarely mattered.

Pro was only ever released as a souped up PS4 (2.4x the power of PS4) - Sony have been completely clear and open...as such it's the same gen.

Scorpio is muddier waters as it's significantly more powerful than XBO (especially if it has zen) and whilst not a full generational leap (in the true sense) is a big jump (even from PS4). MS have said you will see Scorpio is a better machine than the Pro...and now a dev has said 'next gen'.

IMHO MS will have a really tough time selling the difference unless there's some big surprises. I've no doubt there will be differences between Pro and Scorpio but unless you're in the very niche section of gaming you won't care.

I guess it all boils down like others have been saying - that these days advances are slower and MS are moving away from generational machines - I guess we'll know soon enough.

Eh? Are you suggesting MS may use a CPU 4x more powerful? I'm confused.

http://www.dualshockers.com/2017/03...oud-enables-truly-massive-destructible-world/

So it looks like the local machine in the demo is equivalent to a Scorpio type spec, so no I don't think it will play offline on Scorpio (unless it's really badly gimped so certainly not 4k!)

They don't specificly mention what cpu it is . I was also going on the old claims of cloud being 3-4 times faster than jaguar. Guess we have to wait for the announcement

They don't specificly mention what cpu it is . I was also going on the old claims of cloud being 3-4 times faster than jaguar. Guess we have to wait for the announcement

Did you read the link? Even a 980ti PC (similar to Scorpio) required cloud as it dropped to single figures FPS. Scorpio Will not magically be substantially more powerful than a PC with a 980ti.

Did you read the link? Even a 980ti PC (similar to Scorpio) required cloud as it dropped to single figures FPS. Scorpio Will not magically be substantially more powerful than a PC with a 980ti.
I did and the only thing they said was a 980ti they didn't give details of the rest of the machine and they didn't state they were using PhysX on the gpu. It also would make little sense for them to use a propritery standard that doesn't exist in their consoles. So what is the cpu ? A i3 dual core , i5 , i7 , 8 core i7 ? They don't say

Back