Nintendo Switch Technical discussion [SOC = Tegra X1]

If it was optional this time around, and standard in a later console, that would still be just as worthwhile a contribution and it could see some very cool uses even if it's optional. And where did I even say that?
Here:
I mean hd rumble sounds cool, but they could've left that for the pro controller alone as it's a luxury.
Leading me to say that if HD rumble is to see proper support in games, it needs to be present as a standard feature and not optional, and the ensuing discussion.

Here:
Leading me to say that if HD rumble is to see proper support in games, it needs to be present as a standard feature and not optional, and the ensuing discussion.
Well I don't agree with that. It could still see proper support in certain games as an optional peripheral.

But yeah, obviously it'll be more widely supported if it's standard, we're in agreement there. So I think that's a good ending point for this, lol.

I would just say that given the option of no hd rumble at all, never mind optional or standard, and a more balanced console I would choose the latter, definitely.

Eyetoy and Kinect fizzled out because they suck. No analog control and huge inaccuracies. And hey, Kinect was bundled with evey Xbox one but that didn't save it.
Kinect worked fine for fitness games. Similar use case than Wii balance board. My wife loved it. But I completely agree that these new controllers wasn't any good for hardcore gaming. Consoles are nowadays mostly owned by hardcore gamers. Casuals use phones and tablets and Facebook, etc.

Kinect worked fine for fitness games. Similar use case than Wii balance board. My wife loved it. But I completely agree that these new controllers wasn't any good for hardcore gaming. Consoles are nowadays mostly owned by hardcore gamers. Casuals use phones and tablets and Facebook, etc.
I'm sure there was some measure of accuracy difference between different developers, but I remember seeing games like that dbz kinect game and some ufc game, among others that would barely work at all.

I wouldn't mind trying that xbox one sports game that rare made... it had some nice looking water haha.

Pretty nice. Especially considering how fast they ported the game to the Switch. I was playing it yesterday and was really surprised.

Sumo Digital didn't have dev kits until January after the big reveal, so this was very impressive for such a quick turn around. The resolution numbers were quite startling, not so much for the 1200x675 docked, but the 844x475 portable numbers would make you thing Wii levels of jaggies, but nope. Temporal AA apparently works very well, so well that the image quality is considered by DF to look pretty nice on Switch. These numbers can look bad by themselves, but when you consider that this game is also 30fps and sub 1080p native on PS4, its pretty decent compromises. The good thing to take note of is that Unreal 4 games on Switch will be able to go pretty low with the resolution in portable mode, and still end up with good image quality thanks to the AA. For a smaller team with only 3 months to work with, they did a solid job porting to Switch. This bodes well for Unreal 4 cross platform games.

Sumo Digital didn't have dev kits until January after the big reveal, so this was very impressive for such a quick turn around. The resolution numbers were quite startling, not so much for the 1200x675 docked, but the 844x475 portable numbers would make you thing Wii levels of jaggies, but nope. Temporal AA apparently works very well, so well that the image quality is considered by DF to look pretty nice on Switch. These numbers can look bad by themselves, but when you consider that this game is also 30fps and sub 1080p native on PS4, its pretty decent compromises. The good thing to take note of is that Unreal 4 games on Switch will be able to go pretty low with the resolution in portable mode, and still end up with good image quality thanks to the AA. For a smaller team with only 3 months to work with, they did a solid job porting to Switch. This bodes well for Unreal 4 cross platform games.

to early to jump to this conclusion, people with a rx480 can't even get this game to run at 1080p/60fps,. it might be just a terrible port on amd hardware and ps4 in general. which i think is the more realistic scenario considering how every other port is more inline with the specs of both consoles.

to early to jump to this conclusion, people with a rx480 can't even get this game to run at 1080p/60fps,. it might be just a terrible port on amd hardware and ps4 in general. which i think is the more realistic scenario considering how every other port is more inline with the specs of both consoles.

So you jump to the conclusion that it must be a terrible port for PS4? If this is true, then Unreal 4 doesn't work well with PS4 and AMD graphics cards? Three months of development time for the Switch build, and you think the PS4 version was neglected? Seems like your quick to pass judgment when things are unfavorable for Switch, but anything remotely positive and somehow you undermine its legitimacy. Its not like we are talking parity here. Switch runs lower settings, and a significantly lower resolution. These are compromises that are to be expected, but as I and a some others have suggested, it will be possible to down port games to Switch. Results may vary obviously. The narrative that multi plat games are out of the question for Switch is coming unraveled quickly bro, how long you going to drive that bandwagon?

I'm not sure if this still applies with Unreal 4, but Unreal 3 was rarely used for games targeting 60fps on the 360/PS3. I do not understand the nuts and bolts of why Unreal 3 wasn't a great choice for games targeting 60fps. Perhaps someone in the know here can explain that?

So you jump to the conclusion that it must be a terrible port for PS4? If this is true, then Unreal 4 doesn't work well with PS4 and AMD graphics cards? Three months of development time for the Switch build, and you think the PS4 version was neglected? Seems like your quick to pass judgment when things are unfavorable for Switch, but anything remotely positive and somehow you undermine its legitimacy. Its not like we are talking parity here. Switch runs lower settings, and a significantly lower resolution. These are compromises that are to be expected, but as I and a some others have suggested, it will be possible to down port games to Switch. Results may vary obviously. The narrative that multi plat games are out of the question for Switch is coming unraveled quickly bro, how long you going to drive that bandwagon?

I'm not sure if this still applies with Unreal 4, but Unreal 3 was rarely used for games targeting 60fps on the 360/PS3. I do not understand the nuts and bolts of why Unreal 3 wasn't a great choice for games targeting 60fps. Perhaps someone in the know here can explain that?

I come to this conclusion because most ps4 games run at 1080p and are technically way more impressive then snake pass. then you look at most ports on switch and ps4, and the difference is huge, except for this one game. i just gave you the most realistic scenario, until i see more ports come to close to ps4, will take as just a real bad port, cause we have seen ps4 do things on whole other level technically, and still run 1080p.

Well considering the entire library of PS4 games that run at 1080p30 and are much more demanding than this title, and the fact that PS4 is ~5x more powerful than switch...I mean come on.

I mean, considering they ported to Switch in under three months and the game was in development for other systems for much longer, it seems like it'd be Switch that would get the bad port.

Either way, it's pretty interesting to see. It also sounds like they're still working on the game, so all systems might get some optimization in the future.

Well considering the entire library of PS4 games that run at 1080p30 and are much more demanding than this title, and the fact that PS4 is ~5x more powerful than switch...I mean come on.

yea it's laughable. lets ignore what we know the ps4 can do, the specs, and ignore all the other ports we can compare because of snake pass, one port of game that obviously is not taking advantage of base ps4.

I come to this conclusion because most ps4 games run at 1080p and are technically way more impressive then snake pass.

This doesn't work, because the game obviously does tax the hardware hard enough that Sumo had to lower the resolution in order to maintain a solid 30fps on PS4. Any optimizations done at the nuts and bolts level would equally benefit the Switch build. If they can further optimize the software for one console, then they can likely do it for another. This is without a doubt a quick port to Switch, if any platform were at a disadvantage, it would be the Switch version.

Yes, there are bigger budgeted titles with larger teams and more money to throw at them that squeeze more out of the hardware, but that is of no value when comparing multi platform titles. Could Naughty Dog deliver a more impressive game on PS4 than Snake Pass? Obviously we know they can, but you know what else, they could do that for Switch as well.

I cant believe I am seeing the "bad port" excuse for the superior version of a game. The PS4 version runs a resolution 1.7x higher than Switch docked with higher settings across the board. The Switch build had three months of time to get the port done, and somehow the PS4 got a shoddy port. LOL

This doesn't work, because the game obviously does tax the hardware hard enough that Sumo had to lower the resolution in order to maintain a solid 30fps on PS4. Any optimizations done at the nuts and bolts level would equally benefit the Switch build. If they can further optimize the software for one console, then they can likely do it for another. This is without a doubt a quick port to Switch, if any platform were at a disadvantage, it would be the Switch version.

Yes, there are bigger budgeted titles with larger teams and more money to throw at them that squeeze more out of the hardware, but that is of no value when comparing multi platform titles. Could Naughty Dog deliver a more impressive game on PS4 than Snake Pass? Obviously we know they can, but you know what else, they could do that for Switch as well.

I cant believe I am seeing the "bad port" excuse for the superior version of a game. The PS4 version runs a resolution 1.7x higher than Switch docked with higher settings across the board. The Switch build had three months of time to get the port done, and somehow the PS4 got a shoddy port. LOL

so this is proof to you thats it's taxing the hardware? what about games that have bad frame rate? same excuse can be used it's taxing the hardware right? so we can assume dragon quest heros ran like crap on switch cause of the hardware? thing is bad or rushed port is the only logical reason when looking at snake pass, especially looking at all the ports on switch, or even nintendo games which show a very small jump from last gen. ps4 games in comparison at launch or near launch look a generation ahead of switch games so far. so you wanna ignore the specs, the games, and all the other ports because of one port, and sorry but many thirdparty games look much better then snake pass, not just sony exclusives.

Last edited:
so to this proof to you thats it's taxing the hardware? what about games that have bad frame rate? same excuse can be used it's taxing the hardware right? so we can assume dragon quest heros ran like crap on switch cause of the hardware? thing is bad or rushed port is the only logical reason when looking at snake pass, especially looking at all the ports on switch, or even nintendo games which show a very small jump from last gen. ps4 games in comparison at launch or near launch look a generation ahead of switch games so far. so you wanna ignore the specs, the games, and all the other ports because of one port, and sorry but many thirdparty games look much better then snake pass, not just sony exclusives.

Didnt you use Dragon Quest performance as a bullet point against the Switch a few pages back? LOL I never said Snake Pass was some highly optimized tightly coded game, but its the same freaking game delivered to all the platforms. Whatever the bottleneck is for the PS4 version would show up far quicker on the Switch. Any and all optimizations to the code would theoretically benefit all the platforms. Whatever inefficiencies are present in the PS4 build are also there in the Switch version, both products could be better. Pretending its only the PS4 version that suffers if total BS.

I question what your motives are @bunnybug? You have been sour on the Switch, undermining it constantly, and yet your only participation here at Beyond3D is in the Nintendo Switch threads. I also notice you joined around the time Switch was initially revealed. I freely admit I am a big Nintendo fan, and that brings with it some relentless optimism, but I can help but feel your only here to criticize the Switch.

Didnt you use Dragon Quest performance as a bullet point against the Switch a few pages back? LOL I never said Snake Pass was some highly optimized tightly coded game, but its the same freaking game delivered to all the platforms. Whatever the bottleneck is for the PS4 version would show up far quicker on the Switch. Any and all optimizations to the code would theoretically benefit all the platforms. Whatever inefficiencies are present in the PS4 build are also there in the Switch version, both products could be better. Pretending its only the PS4 version that suffers if total BS.

I question what your motives are @bunnybug? You have been sour on the Switch, undermining it constantly, and yet your only participation here at Beyond3D is in the Nintendo Switch threads. I also notice you joined around the time Switch was initially revealed. I freely admit I am a big Nintendo fan, and that brings with it some relentless optimism, but I can help but feel your only here to criticize the Switch.

so because i said it would have a TX1 and that eurogamer's sources are solid thats' undermining it to you?

not pretending the ps4 version only suffers, but if you look at the games, specs, and ports, then you can clearly see which version is suffering more, ps3 ports to ps4 for example all go from 720p/30fps to 1080p/60fps, with better graphics/AA, now look at wiiu ports to switch, a much smaller difference, look at every other port on ps4/switch like bomberman, dragon quest, I Am Setsuna, all are a night and day difference on ps4. we know ps4 is way more capable then what were seeing, snake pass on the other hand is one of the better looking switch games.

so because i said it would have a TX1 and that eurogamer's sources are solid thats' undermining it to you?

not pretending the ps4 version only suffers, but if you look at the games, specs, and ports, then you can clearly see which version is suffering more, ps3 ports to ps4 for example all go from 720p/30fps to 1080p/60fps, with better graphics/AA, now look at wiiu ports to switch, a much smaller difference, look at every other port bomberman, dragon quest, I Am Setsuna, all are a night and day difference on ps4.

I didn't say your post were all unreasonable, but you didn't answer my question. Why join a forum only to discuss a product that your obviously not big on? All PS3/360 ports jumped to 1080p 60fps? Assassins Creed 4 anyone? Batman Return to Arkham? Tomb Raider 2013? GTA V? Bomberman is using Unity, and we know how well PS4 gets along with Unity, so that's a mute point. I am Setsuna is a great example of a down port, thanks for bringing it up.

Clearly the Switch version is more optimized than the PS4 version after only three months. LOL Come on, even you don't really believe that.

A great member once said the following:

B3D's official top tip for 2016 : Remember, kids - you always have the choice to end a derailment by not replying.

Last edited:
Back