Alternative distribution to optical disks : SSD, cards, and download*

LEGO City Undercover for Switch requires a 13GB download because WB doesn't want to pay Nintendo for anything more than an 8gb cartridge. How's that for the alternative distribution future?

LEGO City Undercover for Switch requires a 13GB download because WB doesn't want to pay Nintendo for anything more than an 8gb cartridge. How's that for the alternative distribution future?

Yeah, it's a bit crazy to think it's all because the cost of publishing on Nintendo Switch far exceeds the cost of publishing on Sony PS4 and Microsoft XO.

Source Article for those who haven't seen it yet: https://venturebeat.com/2017/03/27/...uggle-with-nintendo-switchs-publishing-costs/

Yeah, it's a bit crazy to think it's all because the cost of publishing on Nintendo Switch far exceeds the cost of publishing on Sony PS4 and Microsoft XO.

Source Article for those who haven't seen it yet: https://venturebeat.com/2017/03/27/...uggle-with-nintendo-switchs-publishing-costs/
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=232892126&postcount=968

we really don't know why they went that route. Seems scummy of them however there are other studios with larger games than 8 gigs already released

It is very pointless. If an internet connection is required, buy a generic SD card and download onto that. If this trend continues, Switch will be halfway a download-only console.

This is a 4 year old game that originally sold for $50 at release on Wii U. It currently sells for $20 on Wii U. This is the publisher thinking they can get one over on the consumer, and the honestly, they probably feel justified because the physical release on PS4/X1 will require a mandatory full install, so from their perspective, why absorb any extra cost for the Switch version.

Update: WB confirmed to Eurogamer that the download is not required to play.

Attachments

• upload_2017-3-28_8-52-36.png
    upload_2017-3-28_8-52-36.png
    612.5 KB · Views: 11
Except we have reports saying it's because of the cost, and we know that a 32 GB cart is going to cost a lot more than an 8 GB cart, so it all adds up. How is that 'not knowing'?
except according to dram exchange they could have gone with a 16GB card for about $1 more and didn't. So like I said we really don't know why and we now know that its not required to play

Also both Zelda and Just dance come on 16 gig cards and are priced the same as the lego game

Last edited:
except according to dram exchange they could have gone with a 16GB card for about $1 more and didn't. So like I said we really don't know why and we now know that its not required to play
It's 8 GBs on the card and a 13 GB download for a total of 21 GBs, requiring a 32 GB card (and 11 GBs wasted space).

You're also comparing SD card prices and we don't know what exactly is involved in producing a cart for distribution or even what storage tech it is. For all we know it's a ROM tech that's far cheaper, or far more expensive. None of us have that insider info.

What we do have is a report that it's because games cost more and clear knowledge that, whatever the tech, 32 GBs is going to cost more than 8 GBs. Seems to me folly to look at the prices of other devices and discredit these reports as a result.

Last edited:
It's 8 GBs on the card and a 13 GB download for a total of 21 GBs, requiring a 32 GB card (and 11 GBs wasted space).

You're also comparing SD card prices and we don't know what exactly is involved in producing a cart for distribution or even what storage tech it is. For all we know it's a ROM tech that's far cheaper, or far more expensive. None of us have that insider info.

What we do have is a report that it's because games cost more and clear knowledge that, whatever the tech, 32 GBs is going to cost more than 8 GBs. Seems to me folly to look at the prices of other devices and discredit these reports as a result.

except its not because WB claims the game is playable from the cart. It also says up to 13GB so its most likely the 13GB is DLC which is optional.

Publishers aren't paying open market commodity prices for flash cards. They are paying Nintendo who is the sole producer of Switch carts and set the price however they want.

except its not because WB claims the game is playable from the cart. It also says up to 13GB so its most likely the 13GB is DLC which is optional.
That's a different story. You argued that if the rumour was true, it wasn't due to card prices because a 16 GB SD card would work for only a buck more than an 8 GB card. That argument is debunked in my above. You ought to say, "oh, okay, my maths doesn't work. Still, it may not be true anyway because WB says the 8GB cart plays," recogising that the change in potential situation is not directly related to the current argument about cart sizes and costs.

That's a different story. You argued that if the rumour was true, it wasn't due to card prices because a 16 GB SD card would work for only a buck more than an 8 GB card. That argument is debunked in my above. You ought to say, "oh, okay, my maths doesn't work. Still, it may not be true anyway because WB says the 8GB cart plays," recogising that the change in potential situation is not directly related to the current argument about cart sizes and costs.

I'm just going off your dram exchange pricing. But regardless 13gigs + 8 gigs would put it over the size of the game on any single console so we know that is wrong. We also know its all on the cart. How they did it , I don't know but that is what they are claiming and it makes little sense for them to lie.

on any single console so we know that is wrong
It's 20 GBs on Wii U. I'd expect the same size on Switch with the same assets. The maths is here. 20 GBs for WiiU version. It's a 7.1 GB download on the Switch eStore. A 13 GB download is mentioned on the packaging. 7GB store download + 13 GB additional == 20 GBs, same as Wii U version. Suggesting 7.1 GBs on the cart.

We don't know for sure it's all on the cart. We are told it's playable - maybe that's low-quality assets? It depends on the nature of the box art and why there's that warning, whether that's a fake or something else. The explanation that fits all the evidence at the moment is that the game works off card but you need more storage for more content of some form.

Well, update it seems to be the full game and a packaging error.
Warner Bros. has now provided another statement on the Lego City Undercover situation - which states you will be able to play the full game without downloading anything. An internet connection is only required for updates to the game.

"The information is listed incorrectly on the packaging of Lego City Undercover for Nintendo Switch. Players who purchase a physical copy of LEGO City Undercover on Nintendo Switch at retail are getting the complete game, and do not need to download additional content to enjoy the full experience.

"An internet connection is not required to play the game. The only internet connection suggested is to download the typical content update patch."
Of course that doesn't gel with the Wii U download size.

Back