Middle Generation Console Upgrade Discussion [Scorpio, 4Pro]

Status
Not open for further replies.
The more I think about what these new consoles are doing the more I sort of just want to stick to a 1080p display(monitor) until a post-Scorpio console comes out...

...and the more I think about sticking with 1080p the more I think PS4 Pro is ideal choice for that because the performance of PS4 library vs Xbox One library + extra resolution on Scorpio over Pro will be negligible for 1080p I think.

The backwards compatibility is nice but I'm wondering if you use a monitor for gaming will pre-Scoprio Xbox games look bad on a 4K monitor? Which would sort of negate BC...

Yeah, I'm hoping that Scorpio can be used for very fluid and smooth 1080p play that's better than the benefits 4Pro brings.

I just can't find a 4K set that's better (or even similar) than my 1080p Plasma. Yes, HDR is very nice but if motion resolution suffers for entertainment viewing (tv and movies) I don't think it's worth the trade-off to get in 2017 instead of waiting another 24 months.

Yeah, I'm hoping that Scorpio can be used for very fluid and smooth 1080p play that's better than the benefits 4Pro brings.

Well it will...except for the majority of games in the prior 4 years that perform better on PS4/PS4 Pro...

Will still probably only boost to a solid 30 or 60 fps 900p though.

Games with super dynnamical resolutions will probably do best though, and games with highly variables ~40~50 fps averages too.

Will still probably only boost to a solid 30 or 60 fps 900p though.

Games with super dynnamical resolutions will probably do best though, and games with highly variables ~40~50 fps averages too.
Or in some Battlefield/Battlefront games...720p.

I'm still doubtful of the benefits of 4K couch gaming, it makes sense on PC because gamers sit so close...but on consoles I'd much rather 1080p and a tonne of effects - HZD has proven (for me anyway) I don't 'need' 4k

Will be interesting to see how Halo 5, Forza Horizon 3, and other titles with truly dynamic engines will perform, also how the x360 BC games perform too.

Unless Halo 6 is right around the corner...I'm just straight up expecting a full Scorpio version of Halo 5

But yeah I'm guessing any game with dynamic res will hits maximum and maintain it.

I'm still doubtful of the benefits of 4K couch gaming, it makes sense on PC because gamers sit so close...but on consoles I'd much rather 1080p and a tonne of effects - HZD has proven (for me anyway) I don't 'need' 4k

right but on the other hand those older games that are 900p or even 720p might not look so great on a 4K monitor up close...which is my worry.

Will be interesting to see how Halo 5, Forza Horizon 3, and other titles with truly dynamic engines will perform, also how the x360 BC games perform too.

Wasn't the Xbox One platform designed from the beginning for Forward Compatbility (a la Boost Mode)? That's the point of the 3 virtual machine OS isn't it? We've already seen it work with the XB1S. The Scorpio is just being turned up to 11. LOL

Tommy McClain

I just can't find a 4K set that's better (or even similar) than my 1080p Plasma. Yes, HDR is very nice but if motion resolution suffers for entertainment viewing (tv and movies) I don't think it's worth the trade-off to get in 2017 instead of waiting another 24 months.

Sony will be selling OLED TVs later this year using LG OLED panels. Some videophiles hope that Sony will have better processing for motion and other image attributes.

OTOH, there's also the hope that 2018 OLED panels will be measurably better than previous panels in areas like total brightness.

There's always the option of something like "2K" and a bump to frame rate and IQ.

MS kinda have to chase native 4K - at least near launch - because they had it tattooed to their dick and then waved it around. But for everyone else there are more options.

Go for 60 fps, high quality shadows (shock) and .... maybe ... even .... anisotopicfilteringohhellllllllyeahhh ... and then use remaining resources to bump up resolution beyond native 1080p for 4K / 1080 supersampling purposes, and you've basically got something that's great for everyone.

No-one loses.

Speaking of PS4 Pro...

Sony Is Reportedly Prepping Another “Thinner” PlayStation 4 Model:
http://wwg.com/2017/03/26/sony-making-another-thinner-playstation-4-model/

Ultimately though, it's the revelation that yet another version of the PS4 is on the way that proves most interesting. Digitimes doesn't specify whether this thinner PS4 will be an even more streamlined version of the base PS4, or a pared-down version of the PS4 Pro. The latter seems more likely to be true. The PS4 Pro's “triple-decker” design is a bit clunky, and it would make sense for Sony to take it to Project Scorpio with a redesign and price cut for the Pro.

Who needs a thinner 4Pro when it's so damn loud already? [Going by threads in GAF]

I guessing it wouldn't be a "full" slim revision. I'm guessing minor changes along with doing away with the "triple stack" look. A simple redesign to a dual stack look alone would make it look smaller I've seen a picture of the Pro next to the OG PS4 and it ain't that much bigger but the Triple stack looks makes it seem bigger.

Like the article says a minor revision/redesign alongside a price cut to compete with Scorpio seems logical..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back