3440x1440

Do they have a flat version? I've never been a fan of curved tv's but maybe it works better on a monitor?

I've thought about buying a ultra wide monitor for a while last year but came to the conclusion that A. these days I'm playing almost all my games on my TV and B. My R9 290 is probably not going to like anything above 1080p when aiming for 60fps.

I'll buy one when we have 500 YFC GPU's that can run at those resolutions with high settings at 60fps.
Usually LG always has a flat & cuvred versions of each of their 21:9 models. Go for the flat unless you only plan on gaming/watching videos (which are 16:9 90% most of the time..so even this sucks..). If you plan on doing anything other than that then get the flat version because curved is pure crap/nonsense if you are photo/video editing, 3d Modeling etc...
I personally have the LG 34UM88C (Flat) and mostly use it only for dev/phot/modeling/browsing etc... I'm probably growing old because I simply can't stand playing games on this mostly because shit like cut scenes always being in 16:9 which is distracting as hell. I have 2 Panasonic Plasma TVs and frankly no PC LCD display can't handle a candle compared to them for gaming even if the resolution is higher. The only games I played on it so far are Gears of Wars 4 (because I wanted the SP @ 60FPS and test out Freesync ..but the 6:9 drove me nuts), DOOM (got it free with my Mobo and wanted to play with freesync), and Titanfall. Just plug your PC into your TV (if you don't have a shit TV obviously) unless freesync is super important to you..

Last edited:
That 38" monitor looks spectacular, but for that price I'd rather wait for HDR versions to come up. The 34" models cost half of that.

I'm probably growing old because I simply can't stand played games on this mostly because shit like cute scenes always being in 16:9 which is distracting as hell.

It's incredibly more irritating when devs make 21:9 cutscenes but since the embedded video player doesn't recognize 21:9, said videos end up letterboxed within a 16:9 window.
So you're watching a 21:9 video in a 21:9 screen but what you actually see is a tiny rectangle in the center of your screen.

That 38" monitor looks spectacular, but for that price I'd rather wait for HDR versions to come up. The 34" models cost half of that.

It's incredibly more irritating when devs make 21:9 cutscenes but since the embedded video player doesn't recognize 21:9, said videos end up letterboxed within a 16:9 window.
So you're watching a 21:9 video in a 21:9 screen but what you actually see is a tiny rectangle in the center of your screen.
Agree...I love my monitor to death but simply not for gaming unfortunately. Having quality plasma TVs at my disposal doesn't help either. Frankly I'm having more fun playing on the Xbox one than on my 10x more powerful PC even when hooked to the TV. The fan noise + PW consumption are not in the PCs favor either. Scorpio can't come soon enough for me. My PC is mainly used for dev and VR now.

FPS and RTS are terrible on consoles and TVs, though...

FPS and RTS are terrible on consoles and TVs, though...
RTS yup. But FPS....can be pretty awesome..sure I had to adapt to playing with the controller (blasphemy! I know) but Wolfenstein: TNW was glorious on TV! And let's not forget side-scrollers like Ori & the Blind Forest and Inside for example. I only play SP games (never MP besides Titanfall 1 when it launched) btw.

Anyway, sorry for derailing the thread.

What about the 3440x1440 100Hz VA ones? Maybe a 60HZ plasma TV has better motion than a 60Hz LCD you're sitting right in front of ; and a higher refresh LCD you sit in front of might be good. This is what I'd want above all, a high refresh (even just for basic operation, Google Earth kind of programs, old or undemanding games. In demanding games, higher refresh never hurts).
VA instead of IPS has darker black too. Then, a curved one might be a brain-damaged one but livable and with fringe benefits (but.. I used to have a monitor that worked fine at 100Hz and was curved the other way)

Let the curved vs flat aside. Maybe recent VA panels are somewhat closer to plasma, due to displaying actual blacks?
IPS seem to be prefered for real work though so a flat, IPS, 60Hz, calibrated set up might still be best for your photography and other needs anyway.
I would settle on the VA 100Hz even without seeing it first (I don't know where I can even see/watch such a monitor). Well, I would settle on a 3840x1600 at 120 or more Hz and it costing $200 and calibrated on the assembly line, but that ain't coming yet.

What about the 3440x1440 100Hz VA ones? Maybe a 60HZ plasma TV has better motion than a 60Hz LCD you're sitting right in front of ; and a higher refresh LCD you sit in front of might be good. This is what I'd want above all, a high refresh (even just for basic operation, Google Earth kind of programs, old or undemanding games. In demanding games, higher refresh never hurts).
VA instead of IPS has darker black too. Then, a curved one might be a brain-damaged one but livable and with fringe benefits (but.. I used to have a monitor that worked fine at 100Hz and was curved the other way)

Let the curved vs flat aside. Maybe recent VA panels are somewhat closer to plasma, due to displaying actual blacks?
IPS seem to be prefered for real work though so a flat, IPS, 60Hz, calibrated set up might still be best for your photography and other needs anyway.
I would settle on the VA 100Hz even without seeing it first (I don't know where I can even see/watch such a monitor). Well, I would settle on a 3840x1600 at 120 or more Hz and it costing $200 and calibrated on the assembly line, but that ain't coming yet.
Yup Plasma TVs (Pioneer's & Panasonic only because LG's & Samsungs where trash..) still have better motion than anything out their (even OLEDs) and when calibrated have the best IQ next to OLEDs which is kind of sad frankly. I would pay for a 4K plasma in a heartbeat..

IIRC the main issue with VA panels is color shifts, bad response time between dark tones/colors. They have deeper blacks than IPS but that's really their only advantage.

Usually LG always has a flat & cuvred versions of each of their 21:9 models.

Doesn't look like LG has the flat version of this out (yet?)

Go for the flat unless you only plan on gaming/watching videos (which are 16:9 90% most of the time..so even this sucks..). If you plan on doing anything other than that then get the flat version because curved is pure crap/nonsense if you are photo/video editing, 3d Modeling etc...

I think you've got that reversed. Unless you are a photo/video editor and doing 3d modeling, go with the curved monitor.

I did have to laugh at the price though: LG suggest MRSP - $1,499. Amazon's Price - $1,768!!

I agree with Tot, my 34 was $649. Sure, I wouldn't mind the extra real estate but for the price? I could have bought TWO 34 and put them side by side, or maybe even vertically! (And still had money left over)

As far as gaming on a plasma for FPS, let's not focus just on refresh rate and forget about response time. Mine is 5ms. This one is under 1ms. Plasma's are 20 or so.

Last edited:
Doesn't look like LG has the flat version of this out (yet?)

I think you've got that reversed. Unless you are a photo/video editor and doing 3d modeling, go with the curved monitor.

I did have to laugh at the price though: LG suggest MRSP - $1,499. Amazon's Price - $1,768!!

I agree with Tot, my 34 was $649. Sure, I wouldn't mind the extra real estate but for the price? I could have bought TWO 34 and put them side by side, or maybe even vertically! (And still had money left over)

As far as gaming on a plasma for FPS, let's not focus just on refresh rate and forget about response time. Mine is 5ms. This one is under 1ms. Plasma's are 20 or so.
That's what I'm saying; if you are not doing photo/video editing, modeling go for the curved (but even then the curbed version is often more expensive so even less reason to get one..).
Plasma response time is indeed 20ms but IPS aren't the best either. Doesn't really bother me given that most of the gaming is done with a controller. But this is obviously subjective.

That's what I'm saying; if you are not doing photo/video editing, modeling go for the curved (but even then the curbed version is often more expensive so even less reason to get one..).

I don't think there's any significant price difference between the two. Having the curved screen certainly helps, IMO, at 34 inches and an arm length's away. I'm sure it would help even more at 38 inches and an arm lengths away. I agree with you on 60 inch TV's where you're sitting 7 feet away, but that's not really what's being discussed... or maybe it is? You're basing your opinions on a TV viewing experience? I'd imagine the size and curvature would make a huge difference on TV's. Aren't IMAX screens curved? Then again, they're the size of office buildings. I'll bet curved screens work well for TV environments as well as long as they are the size of the entire wall and have huge gaps (footage) between the center point and the curved ends.

As far as when a curved monitor is appropriate, you stated in the negative and then gave some very specific use cases as to why they weren't good and expressed that for the majority of use cases (Video viewing and gaming), they were good. I think that because you have a focus on video editing, 3d modeling etc., you've got the niche use cases inverted. Most would benefit from curved monitors.

Plasma response time is indeed 20ms but IPS aren't the best either. Doesn't really bother me given that most of the gaming is done with a controller. But this is obviously subjective.

I'm still having difficulty following as to why Plasma TV gaming on a couch with a controller compares or is relevant to a 3440x1440 PC monitor discussion where you are inches from the screen, not feet from the screen and when you typically use more precise input devices and things like response time matters.

You simply can't put a 1080p 60 inch screen arm lengths away from you and game. Even if the entire screen did fill your field of vision, the fidelity would be horrific. That's why higher resolutions monitors exist because you sit closer. So if you want to game on a 60 inch Plasma, you have to sit 5-7 feet away from it, you mostly likely don't have a comfortable keyboard/mouse unit that is comfortable to use (although they do make them), so you are forced to go with a controller. A controller that has less precision so that the poor response time of the plasma doesn't matter as much because nothing in the entire setup is precise. It's just one endless loop of making a decision that leads you into a situation where each step puts you farther and farther away from an optimal performance situation - both for you, and your computer. And even if you do prefer to use a controller while PC gaming, wouldn't you be happier knowing that input delay is only due to the controller rather than magnified by introducing delay from both the controller and the TV?

I've got a 60inch plasma downstairs. It's connected to my OG XB1 and my HTPC. And I'll tell you that it's completely unfair to compare the XB1 pushing graphics to a plasma TV and playing on a controller and playing on my GTX 1070 with a precision mouse on a 3440x1440 monitor. And just moving the computer downstairs isn't going to make those experiences or the performance of the system or myself in games in anyway equal.

I don't think there's any significant price difference between the two. Having the curved screen certainly helps, IMO, at 34 inches and an arm length's away. I'm sure it would help even more at 38 inches and an arm lengths away. I agree with you on 60 inch TV's where you're sitting 7 feet away, but that's not really what's being discussed... or maybe it is? You're basing your opinions on a TV viewing experience? I'd imagine the size and curvature would make a huge difference on TV's. Aren't IMAX screens curved? Then again, they're the size of office buildings. I'll bet curved screens work well for TV environments as well as long as they are the size of the entire wall and have huge gaps (footage) between the center point and the curved ends.

As far as when a curved monitor is appropriate, you stated in the negative and then gave some very specific use cases as to why they weren't good and expressed that for the majority of use cases (Video viewing and gaming), they were good. I think that because you have a focus on video editing, 3d modeling etc., you've got the niche use cases inverted. Most would benefit from curved monitors.

We are in agreement here. Depending on the use case a curved or a flat screen will better suite the users preferences there's no debate to be had here. I was just pointing out that people should be aware that curved displays are at a disadvantage in several instances like video/photo editing, modeling etc. Regarding prices; the curved version of the same LG panel is always more expensive than the flat version. Same panel: Flat & Curved +$100 (both have a Freesync range of 48hz - 60hz contrary to what is stated on the curved model specs which says 48hz - 75hz)

I'm still having difficulty following as to why Plasma TV gaming on a couch with a controller compares or is relevant to a 3440x1440 PC monitor discussion where you are inches from the screen, not feet from the screen and when you typically use more precise input devices and things like response time matters.

You simply can't put a 1080p 60 inch screen arm lengths away from you and game. Even if the entire screen did fill your field of vision, the fidelity would be horrific. That's why higher resolutions monitors exist because you sit closer. So if you want to game on a 60 inch Plasma, you have to sit 5-7 feet away from it, you mostly likely don't have a comfortable keyboard/mouse unit that is comfortable to use (although they do make them), so you are forced to go with a controller. A controller that has less precision so that the poor response time of the plasma doesn't matter as much because nothing in the entire setup is precise. It's just one endless loop of making a decision that leads you into a situation where each step puts you farther and farther away from an optimal performance situation - both for you, and your computer. And even if you do prefer to use a controller while PC gaming, wouldn't you be happier knowing that input delay is only due to the controller rather than magnified by introducing delay from both the controller and the TV?

I've got a 60inch plasma downstairs. It's connected to my OG XB1 and my HTPC. And I'll tell you that it's completely unfair to compare the XB1 pushing graphics to a plasma TV and playing on a controller and playing on my GTX 1070 with a precision mouse on a 3440x1440 monitor. And just moving the computer downstairs isn't going to make those experiences or the performance of the system or myself in games in anyway equal.

This boils down to what I said above "But this is obviously subjective." I'm not going to play Inside, Ori, Forza with a keyboard. And FPS's which would "benefit" from the lower latency..well they play perfectly fine with the controller and I particularly don't care about "my performance" in the game being impacted by it or the TV. Playing on a bigger screen @ 1080P with all the bells & whistles enabled @ 60fps is subjectively more important to me that sweating my Fury X to push 3440x1440 at acceptable frame times in games that also "half-assely" support the 21:9 aspect ratio.

Do they have a flat version? I've never been a fan of curved tv's but maybe it works better on a monitor?

When you start getting to wide monitors a curved screen becomes really desirable. I have a 49" monitor which is ~43" wide. If I sit directly in line with the center of the monitor it can be difficult to read items on the right and left side of the monitor. As well, because of how LCD panels are made, there's a certain amount of pixels on the left and right sides that aren't visible in such a situation.

The linked LG monitor is ~33" wide so it's not as dramatic but chances are people will sit closer to that monitor than I do to mine. I sit ~3 feet away from my monitor. I'm going to guess most people will be sitting ~1.5-2.0 feet away from the LG monitor. So it's going to have the same issues with viewing content on the left and right sides, if it was a flat panel.

I dearly wish my monitor used a curved screen.

Regards,
SB

(about VA)

Curved might artificially reduce color shifts by messing with the angles.
Bad response time between dark tones/colors, now that sounds bad and like cheating on the milliseconds spec sheet. But they're faster now that they've ever been.

Well thanks about that advice on VA. I think I will keep being partial to them. Must have a great black bars performance.

We are in agreement here.

Fantastic, I love it when that happens.

Same panel: Flat & Curved +$100

Seriously? MSRP from LG's website? That states flat is $899 and curved is $999? The Flat panel version of the 34UC88 is currently selling for $652 and I bought my curved 34UC88 for $649. The reality of the retail market is that there is virtually no price difference between the two.

This boils down to what I said above "But this is obviously subjective." I'm not going to play Inside, Ori, Forza with a keyboard. And FPS's which would "benefit" from the lower latency..well they play perfectly fine with the controller and I particularly don't care about "my performance" in the game being impacted by it or the TV. Playing on a bigger screen @ 1080P with all the bells & whistles enabled @ 60fps is subjectively more important to me that sweating my Fury X to push 3440x1440 at acceptable frame times in games that also "half-assely" support the 21:9 aspect ratio.

I seem to think it really goes down to you have a very limited and specific use case. I'm still confused about your bit about video and photo editing, however. Do you do your video and photo editing on the plasma?

You've set forth a number of very specific use cases where a large plasma 1080p TV is superior to a 3440x1440 curved monitor:

• If you do photo and video editing (I can't believe this is true)
  • If you play with a controller so you don't care about response time or precision
  • If you lack the hardware necessary to push a 3440x1440 monitor
  • If you play antiquated games that don't support a 21:9 aspect ratio
Some of these, I agree on. If you have old hardware and are playing old games there's not a lot of reason to purchase a bleeding edge monitor.

Seriously? MSRP from LG's website? That states flat is $899 and curved is $999? The Flat panel version of the 34UC88 is currently selling for $652 and I bought my curved 34UC88 for $649. The reality of the retail market is that there is virtually no price difference between the two.

Seriously? The fact that I bought my 34UM88C €649 (when it was still priced €750 and the 34UC88 was €800) seven months ago doesn't in anyway, shape or form invalidate the fact that LG is initially pricing the curved model of the same panel $100 higher and this has always been the case when they had/have curved/flat versions of the same panel. This was also the case with their curved TVs which where more expensive than the similar flat model.

I seem to think it really goes down to you have a very limited and specific use case. I'm still confused about your bit about video and photo editing, however. Do you do your video and photo editing on the plasma?

You've set forth a number of very specific use cases where a large plasma 1080p TV is superior to a 3440x1440 curved monitor:

• If you do photo and video editing (I can't believe this is true)
  • If you play with a controller so you don't care about response time or precision
  • If you lack the hardware necessary to push a 3440x1440 monitor
  • If you play antiquated games that don't support a 21:9 aspect ratio
Some of these, I agree on. If you have old hardware and are playing old games there's not a lot of reason to purchase a bleeding edge monitor.

You have got it backwards, simply didn't correctly read or you are confused given that you got what I said wrong twice in a row now.....Why would I do video/photo editing and modeling on my plasma TVs when I have an LG 34UM88C where did I ever saying anything remotely close to this? You are clearly grasping at straws here or need to re-read the whole discussion and see where you got things inverted?. Point was that curved panels are shit for video/phot/modelling (go for a curved if you want to game on it etc..and go for a flat if you want to photo/video/model/ and game too..) and I prefer gaming on a Plasma TV with a controller over a 21:9 display even if I have the HW to corectly game on the 3440x1440 display. If that last bit offends you there's unfortunately nothing I can do about it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:
Well , if the content was made with >60fps in mind and the quality of animations reflect that ( think of RAGE , not ME:A) ,a good plasma can run circles around displays with bad motion resolution.
However once framerate or animation quality is compromised , it's not so simple , because the flaws will be glaring on PDP , whereas on the sample&hold display motion will look bad anyway. So the plasma picture is the less forgiving, and the sample&hold is the less 'real' ,actually.

It is bad in this way :

DIY Fresnel Lens Screen Magnifier

(What modern times we are in, to not spend more than a minute searching I had to link to a video)
If you have time, I recommend you watching it.

Last edited:
I dont follow,
Curved screens dont magnify the image there is no focal length to a curved screen there is no distortion and no refraction so no colour fringing

Freesync 2 is out now and imposing low frame rate compensation plus hdr. So you're gonna basically get freesync proper as the first version wasn't so good and also hdr. afaik there are no 10 bit ten panels so 120hz is probably not gonna be possible with hdr but I guess well see what they can come up with.

I've been trying to wait for oled but it doesn't seem like it's gonna happen any time soon, which is odd as they can apparently make them any size from very large to very small but the middle area is a problem for some reason.....

Back