Middle Generation Console Upgrade Discussion [Scorpio, 4Pro]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think goal posts should be planted.

What's the measure of success for mid-gen?
ooh this is fun exercise, this is a tough one imo; they might be different for each platform holder. Are we asking how we would define it? ie: I'm not sure a mid-gen refresh taking over the base model is considered a success. In MS case it would be, in Sony's case maybe not.

Difference is a new generation brings new exciting things, this brings the same things at a higher resolution with nicer effects.
exactly, people who want to game at higher res and fidelity that's who it's for. A subset of the console market.
I'm not saying it won't sell, of course some will, I just was thinking MS were trying to win some marketshare back and at that price it won't
the point is they don't see it as the machine to win back market share in general.
maybe the top end, and in the long term, not in the short term. may get a halo effect from it. Helping brand etc, but not from sales of the Scorpio itself.
even if it came out on the cheaper side, x1s will still be the bigger seller

4K TVs are selling well so maybe not a bad time to tout 4K graphics, real or faked, who cares.

But the reason they're selling well is that manufacturers have moved 1080p TVs to the lower price segments and feature their main and high-end lines at price points comparable to what nice 1080p sets were a couple of years ago.

Certainly the type of people who buy consoles at launch and are early-adopters of other technology will gravitate to these mid-gen consoles, even if they don't really represent a generational leap (in historical terms). That should be good enough for a few million the first year or two. Then they can reduce costs and cut prices to drive more demand.

But if GPUs can reach 10, 12 TF or more by 2020, then there could be new consoles at that time and the people who buy the PS4 Pro and the Scorpio at launch can move on to those.

I was listening to the Giantbomb podcast and Jeff Gerstmann was talking about how PS4 Pro looked on a 4K HDR LG OLED...he basically said that the framerate was not great for Horizon and it looked off...and that he actually perfered 1080p mode to get higher framerate

Which got me thinking that maybe 30fps is going to look especially abnormal with modern games with HDR and near 4K image quality...

I mean if you are are looking at something that is near photo-realsitc with a high and clean image quality but the motion isn't smooth and super janky it's probably going to be more noticeable than on older lower res games..

My brother texted me the other day he finally got a Pro and Horizon. So I'm pretty interested to see that whenever.
He plays on a 52" Samsung 1080P. So I guess no (pretend) 4k. But I guess it could look extra good downscaled or something.

He mentioned the Pro wasn't that easy to find in stock. Not sure what Sony's distribution issues are. What we know is it's not selling such crazy numbers to be out of stock a lot, yet it is. Seems the same with PSVR. Seems they could sell more if they kept stock sorted.

What does Horizon render at anyway on Pro? Some 2K checkerboard?

Last edited:
My brother texted me the other day he finally got a Pro and Horizon. So I'm pretty interested to see that whenever.
He plays on a 52" Samsung 1080P. So I guess no (pretend) 4k. But I guess it could look extra good downscaled or something.

What does Horizon render at anyway on Pro? Some 2K checkerboard?

2160p checkerboard rendering

I'm not saying it won't sell, of course some will, I just was thinking MS were trying to win some marketshare back and at that price it won't

Yah, I'm kind of wondering what they'll come in at. I do believe price is king. I think they're in a tough spot. If they were cheaper but less powerful, I don't know if that would go over well. It's almost like right now they need to be cheaper and more powerful, but obviously that is pretty much impossible to do without taking a loss on the units.

Yah, I'm kind of wondering what they'll come in at. I do believe price is king. I think they're in a tough spot. If they were cheaper but less powerful, I don't know if that would go over well. It's almost like right now they need to be cheaper and more powerful, but obviously that is pretty much impossible to do without taking a loss on the units.
yup, can't call a product premium if it's got shoddy build quality as well.
It would already be very good if they can get this down to $399. I see that is being very challenging for MS without subsidizing.

yup, can't call a product premium if it's got shoddy build quality as well.
It would already be very good if they can get this down to $399. I see that is being very challenging for MS without subsidizing.

I guess it all depends on what their targets are. They may not be planning on "winning" the generation. Maybe they're happy if scorpio brings their market share from around 30% to 40%. Who knows. I do think they can't afford to make their market share slide any further. Even if they're more powerful, I think an extra $50 is going to be a tough sell for most people.

They may not be planning on "winning" the generation.

At this point, they can't even if they wanted to. That's why many people think that MS might just ditch the X1 and have the Scorpio as a standalone machine, and the first step into next gen.

I guess it all depends on what their targets are. They may not be planning on "winning" the generation. Maybe they're happy if scorpio brings their market share from around 30% to 40%. Who knows. I do think they can't afford to make their market share slide any further.

If Microsoft perceive success by market share rather than net profitably then they are beyond fucked. Without a clear sustainable plan for monetizing market share, chasing this is throwing money away. But Microsoft are desperate to secure a new sustainable growth market to replace Windows and it's possible that Microsoft's executive team has convinced their board that gaming is worth further investment.

That probably wouldn't be that a hard sell since Microsoft has a weird board makeup with almost half of the board coming from VC/finance industries where conventional wisdom is in taking insane risks - despite decades of financial market instability caused wholly by systematic stupid investments. No other large tech company has so many 'money people' on their board. Not Apple, Google/Alphabet, Facebook, Cisco, Twitter, Oracle, Intel or Samsung. It is very unusual and probably explains some of Microsoft's decisions like buying Minecraft and Nokia. Bang or bust!

If Microsoft perceive success by market share rather than net profitably then they are beyond fucked. Without a clear sustainable plan for monetizing market share, chasing this is throwing money away. But Microsoft are desperate to secure a new sustainable growth market to replace Windows and it's possible that Microsoft's executive team has convinced their board that gaming is worth further investment.

That probably wouldn't be that a hard sell since Microsoft has a weird board makeup with almost half of the board coming from VC/finance industries where conventional wisdom is in taking insane risks - despite decades of financial market instability caused wholly by systematic stupid investments. No other large tech company has so many 'money people' on their board. Not Apple, Google/Alphabet, Facebook, Cisco, Twitter, Oracle, Intel or Samsung. It is very unusual and probably explains some of Microsoft's decisions like buying Minecraft and Nokia. Bang or bust!
It would be an odd day for a company to just roll over and lose out on their 2B subscriber revenue annually :)

They are most definitely charting their success by subscribers at this point in time. The game pass will also be a big factor for these guys.

I also imagine the w10 store sells very little in comparison to the Xbox store right across the board except the apps. That being said, hard to imagine they'd be interested in letting go of their best store either.

Both Sony and MS are here to stay. They didn't dominate the mobile industry, so this is the space they play in. With the video game industry growing each year it's hard to imagine any one wanting to drop out, especially with this move to games as a service. Not even nvidia could resist ;)

It would be an odd day for a company to just roll over and lose out on their 2B subscriber revenue annually :)
Revenue is not profit.

They are most definitely charting their success by subscribers at this point in time. The game pass will also be a big factor for these guys.

This is fanboy nonsense. This is GAF level logic. You know it's bullshit. Profit = revenue - costs and is that is how Boards of directors measure commercial success. Particularly money people where the bottom line tells all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back