Middle Generation Console Upgrade Discussion [Scorpio, 4Pro]

Status
Not open for further replies.
These specs are probably just speculation parading as fact, but that $549 price rumor is insane.

$399 : MS could get back in the game, more perf per dollar than PS4 Pro is attractive to some gamers.
$499 : Status Quo, limited impact on market share. Upgraders happy. Solidifies the base in US/UK.
$549 : WTF? Mid-range PC gamers migration? Is that a market?
With PS4 games now on PSNow on Windows, Scorpio could potential run PS games. And we know it has emulators, so could also run Switch games. So it could be an amazing value even at $549. ;P

But does it run Crysis?
ohh.. the dreaded question ;)

To my earlier posts, this is actually why I define generations by feature sets and not by power ;)

Crysis was all about doing things but because it didn't have the features it had to brute force everything.
As we got newer hardware, we were able to do those things with significantly less power, it made things workable.

it takes a Core i7 with Geforce 1080 to run Crysis 1 at Ultra 8xMSAA 1080p@60fps.

and i'm pretty sure many of you would agree that HZD and other games that run on our anemic 1.3/1.8TF consoles look much better than what you see.

This also is often my first thought, when people talk about maxing out a console, or the gap in hardware between PS4/XBO. There are limits of what you can achieve with 500GF if your features is identical.

Hitting 10 TF would be a good milestone but it would only be 2.5 times the PS4 Pro, though 5X the PS4.
7nm @ TSMC might be of an adequate status & volume by 2019, so it may not be that difficult to hit 12-15TF.

the initial idea of bundling Kinect with every unit had an impact on the price, yet I don't expect another launch like in the X360 which was an incredible machine for what it offered back in 2005, performance wise -a 6 threads CPU, GPU with unified shaders and 512MB of RAM was huge at the time, I felt so proud even compared to the best PC rigs for having a X360-, and I don't think we are ever going to see a launch like that.

This article says the Scorpio will be using something like a 1070::smile2::smile2:

http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/xbox-scorpio-release-date-specs-news-rumours-4k-vr

This page says that the console is going to cost around 549$ (549€) and also mention the global power of the machine is going to be 7Teraflops:

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=es&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http://www.elsate.com/viewtopic.php?t=1321&edit-text=

I can't believe that price, surely the PS3 shows that's not an acceptable price bracket for a console

I can't believe that price, surely the PS3 shows that's not an acceptable price bracket for a console
difference is new generation where you need to create an install base as quickly as possible.
mid gen premium device is slightly different, that's going after the premium market, top end of the console market.
obviously doesn't mean they can't price themselves out of even that.
1080ti is powerful, priced out of 90% of the market, but it was only meant for that 10%, hence why it makes sense.
similar logic for a premium console.

Hitting 10 TF would be a good milestone but it would only be 2.5 times the PS4 Pro, though 5X the PS4.
I don't expect anything less than 18TFs for PS5. I doubt Scorpio will have any impact on Sony's timetable so it's better to wait for an actual generational leap.

That is your conclusion from the PS3 CF? The PS3's price/game performance wasn't good enough vs. 360 for a long time if you didn't plan to use it for Bluray. After people pay ludicrous prices for tech gimmicks(tablet, smart phones) or yet another overpriced Nintendo almost every year I can't take such assumptions about acceptable prices serious anymore.

This console is mostly targeted at 4k(no semantics that it also works with 1080p TVs please:) according to MS. So people usually have to upgrade their TVs, more HD space to deal with larger game sizes and games these days cost about 70-100USD at launch. Compared to the investment costs we talk about here the suggested price range for a premium product means nothing.

These specs are probably just speculation parading as fact, but that $549 price rumor is insane.

$399 : MS could get back in the game, more perf per dollar than PS4 Pro is attractive to some gamers.
$499 : Status Quo, limited impact on market share. Upgraders happy. Solidifies the base in US/UK.
$549 : WTF? Mid-range PC gamers migration? Is that a market?
If Sony don't price cut the Pro end of the year.

This is assuming native 4k 60fps encoding is available in all games for Scorpio:
Performance wise how is Scorpio doing 4K 60fps encoding while concurrently running games at 4K 60fps without significantly impacting performance?

With Scorpio's specs 6 tflop gpu aren't those specs near the threshhold to running games at native 4K 60fps? Unless they plan to kick in dynamic scaling and checkboard rendering down to 1600p/1800p while recording is happening, the additional load of 4K 60fps encoding would start dropping frames at native 4K 60fps performance.

Last edited:
Looking at the radeon relive page, the rx480 can do 2160p30. None of them do 4k60. But I would be surprised if the (hardware) encoder hasn't been updated.
Looks like it can have upto around 4% impact on average framerate.
That's in a pc, I would expect console to be a bit better than that as it would be a more streamlined overall design.
Don't know what impact it would have on hdd io though, with it also having to stream assets in etc.

Please use a 3.5" HDD in the Scorpio. I'll gladly accept a slightly bigger box if it means we can get away from shitty ass frikkin 5400 laptop drives.

A 3.5" 7200 drive has lower rotational latency, lower seek times, and for the same platter density 70~100% higher read speeds. And at least going by consumer prices, a 1TB 3.5 drive is cheaper than a 1TB (presumably dual platter) 2.5 drive.

Fekkin' 70 MB/s sequential read for a console with 12GB of ram. How much walking down corridors listening to radios are we going to have to do to hide loading. I'm getting old, I don't want to die before I reach the next level.

Fekkin' 70 MB/s sequential read for a console with 12GB of ram. How much walking down corridors listening to radios are we going to have to do to hide loading. I'm getting old, I don't want to die before I reach the next level.
To be honest overall performance I.e. how long it takes to load apps and games etc, could very well be the biggest deal breaker for me personally.
It's a personal thing that I fully except is not representative of anyone else.

Please use a 3.5" HDD in the Scorpio. I'll gladly accept a slightly bigger box if it means we can get away from shitty ass frikkin 5400 laptop drives.

A 3.5" 7200 drive has lower rotational latency, lower seek times, and for the same platter density 70~100% higher read speeds. And at least going by consumer prices, a 1TB 3.5 drive is cheaper than a 1TB (presumably dual platter) 2.5 drive.

Agreed. There's a zero percent chance I use the internal drive if it's a 5400 rpm. It'll probably be 1TB just sitting unused. I'll be using an external, if I get scorpio.

Apparently Fallout 4 and Skyrim will be getting Scorpio patches:

http://www.glixel.com/interviews/sk...alks-switch-vr-and-elder-scrolls-wait-w451761

We just wrapped up updating Fallout 4 for the PS4 Pro. We're used to that in the PC world. We can update the games, and people keep playing it. Microsoft's Scorpio is coming next year, and we'll update Fallout 4 and Skyrim for that. That's our hope, that these consoles keep that spirit going forward. It's also the pride of ownership. I like browsing my library of games. Whether it's on the shelf physically or digitally, that's all my stuff. And I don't want to feel like I could lose it, or it has no value, other than sitting there.

difference is new generation where you need to create an install base as quickly as possible.
mid gen premium device is slightly different, that's going after the premium market, top end of the console market.
obviously doesn't mean they can't price themselves out of even that.
1080ti is powerful, priced out of 90% of the market, but it was only meant for that 10%, hence why it makes sense.
similar logic for a premium console.

Difference is a new generation brings new exciting things, this brings the same things at a higher resolution with nicer effects.

That is your conclusion from the PS3 CF? The PS3's price/game performance wasn't good enough vs. 360 for a long time if you didn't plan to use it for Bluray. After people pay ludicrous prices for tech gimmicks(tablet, smart phones) or yet another overpriced Nintendo almost every year I can't take such assumptions about acceptable prices serious anymore.

Historically cheaper consoles do well is a proven fact. As you said, PS3 had BR on it's side and yet it was still too expensive.

I'm not saying it won't sell, of course some will, I just was thinking MS were trying to win some marketshare back and at that price it won't

This article says the Scorpio will be using something like a 1070::smile2::smile2:

I wouldn't put too much stock in that claim. The article compares Scorprio which we know will contain an AMD GPU to Nvidia's 1070 on the basis of TFLOPs alone. However the two architectures aren't comparable on that basis. The 1070 is a little bit faster than AMD's Fury X which is an 8.5 TFLOP GPU.

The article also bizarrely claims that the 1070 is "today’s top-end graphics card" which it quite clearly isn't considering the 1080Ti is about 66% faster at 4K. It's actually todays 4th fastest graphics card - until big Vega releases at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back