Current anti-MS in gaming *spawn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man, Microsoft fans are pathetically insecure.

I take it you're unfamiliar with the SDF (Sony Defense Force).

To elaborate: During the PS3/360 gen, in addition to frequently crying about media bias it was Sony fans who created the "lazy devs" meme. When PS3 ports of multi-plats failed to reach performance parity with the 360 version it was blamed on the devs being lazy.

Most fans are.

:yep2:

Last edited:
I think there is a bit of an "anti MS" undercurrent in gaming.

Then again, there have been times where there's been an "anti gaming" and "anti consumer" undercurrent in MS.

Perhaps there's a kind of balance in there somewhere....

Imagine if Amy Hennig worked for Lionhead and she was let go..
People in this day and age would blame it on Microsoft.

I can see the headlines:
Kotaku:"Why MS is a toxic environment for women"
Polygon: "10 things MS and Donald Trump have in common"
And so on.

She was fired by Naughty Dog, so nobody seemed to care.

MS cancels Dragonblood; worst day in gaming ever, MS is evil
Sony disbands Evolution; well things like that are inevitable

I think there is a bit of an "anti MS" undercurrent in gaming.

Then again, there have been times where there's been an "anti gaming" and "anti consumer" undercurrent in MS.

Perhaps there's a kind of balance in there somewhere....
Generally speaking, it's okay to be anti-MS. This position is widely accepted for the general population and is a safe bet. It's very, I don't like them, but I'm forced to use them. I would rather use something else but MS makes it hard to.. etc.
list goes on and to see it spill into their gaming division would not be unexpected.

I think what MS had with 360 was for the first time ever overwhelming positive reputation for one of their products, and things are just back to normal for MS, the current seems par for the course for MS ( at least imo ).

People love the underdogs, and MS will never be considered an underdog, even in areas it's completely lost.

I think what MS had with 360 was for the first time ever overwhelming positive reputation for one of their products, and things are just back to normal for MS, the current seems par for the course for MS ( at least imo ).

People love the underdogs, and MS will never be considered an underdog, even in areas it's completely lost.

Even more remarkable that 360, from Microsoft (strike 1), was generally viewed positively despite a large percentage of them breaking (strike 2) and being stillborn in Japan at a time when that market was still important in the console space (strike 3).

Peter Moore really doesn't get enough credit for what he was able to achieve while he was head of Xbox.

Generally speaking, it's okay to be anti-MS. This position is widely accepted for the general population and is a safe bet. It's very, I don't like them, but I'm forced to use them. I would rather use something else but MS makes it hard to.. etc.
list goes on and to see it spill into their gaming division would not be unexpected.

This pretty much nails it on the head and coveys my feelings about it much better than I could..

It's unfortunate that the general sentiment spills over into gaming though....I think they have contributed a lot to gaming especially features we see in current day modern consoles and what I personally consider the gold standard for the modern traditional gaming controller.

Imagine if Amy Hennig worked for Lionhead and she was let go..
People in this day and age would blame it on Microsoft.

I can see the headlines:
Kotaku:"Why MS is a toxic environment for women"
Polygon: "10 things MS and Donald Trump have in common"
And so on.

She was fired by Naughty Dog, so nobody seemed to care.

MS cancels Dragonblood; worst day in gaming ever, MS is evil
Sony disbands Evolution; well things like that are inevitable

What a pathetic victim mentality. I'm not sure why Amy left (not fired), but the guys who took over were more talented, so no one was worried about the writing. But continue to cherry pick and compare unrelated things.

What a pathetic victim mentality. I'm not sure why Amy left (not fired), but the guys who took over were more talented, so no one was worried about the writing.

This is OT, but whatever :)

Amy Henning is still active in the games industry and is still making games. For some reason she left or was let go of Naughty Dog (which is owned by Sony). If she would have been happy and satisfied at ND she would not have left, so you could blame Sony. If she was fired it most probably was Sony's fault.

What a pathetic victim mentality. I'm not sure why Amy left (not fired), but the guys who took over were more talented, so no one was worried about the writing. But continue to cherry pick and compare unrelated things.
Creative differences are inevitable. Amy, as the creator of Uncharted could write her own ticket. For all we know she could have had the option to head up something new at Naughty Dog but just felt taking EA's offer to make a Star Wars game was more enticing. This kind of thing is hardly comparable to canceling a major title or shuttering a storied studio.

Creative differences are inevitable. Amy, as the creator of Uncharted could write her own ticket. For all we know she could have had the option to head up something new at Naughty Dog but just felt taking EA's offer to make a Star Wars game was more enticing. This kind of thing is hardly comparable to canceling a major title or shuttering a storied studio.
Probably OT, but since we're on this topic anyway, was trying to figure out how ND got away with a do-over (8 months work completely tossed out and redone, VA and all) and why 343i for instance couldn't.

It occurred to me that Spencer's biggest failure with the recent releases was that the way early release ended up killing him in the end. 343i had the whole marketing plan in place and running well before the game was released, hard for them to make adjustments to the storyline once you've gone ahead and marketed the damn thing.

Anyway, TLDR; I think he learned his lessons about announcing anything until ti's actually ready to be announced.

Do we have examples of where actual bias is evident? That would be when Microsoft and another company or group did the same thing but were treated differently.

Obviously the technical differences don't constitute bias. They're quantifiable. I mean something like if Microsoft and a competitor release the same game and they cost the same but the press scolds Microsoft for price gouging but not the competitor. That would be a negative bias.

Are there a few solid examples?

Yes, the recent cancelling of a game and the closing of a game studio. One was absolutely horrible and pure evil while the other was just business.

Maybe not so much directly by the press, but they did let the sentiment stew on their sites as news stories and in their discussion forums.

Yes, the recent cancelling of a game and the closing of a game studio. One was absolutely horrible and pure evil while the other was just business.

Maybe not so much directly by the press, but they did let the sentiment stew on their sites as news stories and in their discussion forums.
If you have studios or smaller exclusive library, the impact could be seen as bigger simply because of relative size.

I remember the Drive Club studio getting shut down and I'm assuming that's the example. They're not entirely analogous but what was the game?

I remember the Drive Club studio getting shut down and I'm assuming that's the example. They're not entirely analogous but what was the game?

Scalebound ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back