Wonderboy III: The Dragon's Trap remastered [PS4, XO, NX]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyan

orange
Legend
Supporter
Many people consider this game the best Master System game yet and watching the video, it's tough to argue with that. I haven't played the game nor owned a Master System, but it's easy to see what made it so good.

A friend told me the game was amazing for its time. It had a Castlevania: SOTN like beginning, where you started the game beating the previous boss in Wonder Boy II.

The game let's you play a doomed character, half human half lizard, in a complicated and disparate adventure in search for a cure to your curse.

Wonder Boy The Dragon's Trap comes out for the PS4, Xbox One, Switch and PC.

cover_large.jpg

wonder-boy-the-dragon-trap-05-31-16-1-1024x576.jpg

The video is amazing, makes me want to have the game day one --it shows the feature of switching to the 8 bit render of the original and the remaster on the fly, plus the use of the password feature of the original, so you could recover your game from the very late 80s/early 90s.

A buddy of mine still has the original manual, he has shown it to me in a photo. I lol'ed. Darned childhood he said, he wrote things all over the manual. He has the passwords though, and they are going to work again in the new version!

I like the arrow coming from the word "PAJARO" (BIRD) and the comment from a password in the left page ("Seis no, g de gato" "Not six, g from cat" (well, from game for instance, gato is cat). :LOL::LOL:

Whats_App_Image_2017_02_26_at_12_37_26.jpg

I have good memories of this game and the predecessor also. I never had the NES back then, but a Master System instead and plenty of games for it. I might have to get this again :)

I love the idea, and it looks well done but sadly I never played this game. I hope they'll do others 8bits games.

The art is lovely. Hope the gameplay is gonna hold up in 2017 too.
the gameplay seems fine to me, the original was very playable -downloaded the rom yesterday-, that's one of the reasons why it is considered the best Master System game.
I love the idea, and it looks well done but sadly I never played this game. I hope they'll do others 8bits games.
I didn't play it either, I remember a kid (he has died years ago because he fell from a roof, alas, his brother told me after unexpectedly talking to him in person 3 years ago or so, after so many years not even seeing him in person) and his brother that had a Master System back in 1993 when my parents moved on. I became friends with them, so I was fortunate to have played a Master System in real life -Megadrive and SNES were out already then though-, it had vibrant colours, but that's all I remember, though I am sure I didn't play Wonderboy III at their home.

This game had a great PC-Engine port back in the day. That's the version I played, not the Master System one. It had some of the best music on the system, IMO.

This game had a great PC-Engine port back in the day. That's the version I played, not the Master System one. It had some of the best music on the system, IMO.
thanks, got the Ootake emulator to give it a try, 'cos I didn't know that version existed

Very nice! This is probably the best 2D remaster I've seen yet. Beautiful hand-drawn animation, and music with real instruments. There's a great gallery with lots of concepts and musicians recording. They didn't touch the gameplay at all, it's pretty much identical to the original. Which also means it's much more difficult than the modern platformers hand holding.

I did a thorough game on Normal to get most trophies, and then on Hard to get the last trophy. There's quite a few secret doors. I had to look at a walkthrough four times for objects I was missing at the end of the game, it was all secret doors.

Many said the Daimyo Castle level is a huge difficulty spike, but that wasn't my experience. Maybe because I was grinding a lot until I could buy all available weapons and armors as I progressed. Also using the best form for each level is critical, it's not always obvious you have a choice.

The end of the video is funny... carelessly plowing through the level and showing off, ends up at the boss door with no energy and no potion... aaaaaand that's all folks! You don't have to see this boss fight!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back