Xbox Game Pass, Game Pass Ultimate now Includes EA Play! [XGP, GamePass]

I think MS really needs to stop doing things like this:

Because I've already read on a number of other forums the confusion this has caused by some thinking that Game Pass is going to include W10. I see this is a general introductory paragraph that then goes into the specifics of Game Pass that has nothing to do at all with W10. But their messaging is confusing.
I think this has to do with the fact that some of the games in Game Pass are XPA games. Which would enable them on W10.

A trick to increase conversion maybe?

Anyway, hopefully this thing is region free, just like the store. So you can subscribe in US and can rent JP games just by changing the store region.

will this include new games same date as retail release?
I suppose so... If I understood it correctly, if you buy a game and you are on the service you get a discount, which makes me think it applies to any release.

It would be a nice touch if in the future all the games were UWP so for that price you could either play those games on your console or the PC.

Because I've already read on a number of other forums the confusion this has caused by some thinking that Game Pass is going to include W10. I see this is a general introductory paragraph that then goes into the specifics of Game Pass that has nothing to do at all with W10. But their messaging is confusing.

Literacy is a pretty big issue in the gaming community, so they should probably just simplify things as much as possible.

Does this mean an end to future BC updates?
I spent the past three years acquiring a large number of 360 games because they were cheap. I've been going through them slowly, but I've still got plenty left to play. I don't have an Xbox One. I was waiting for most of my library to be included in the BC list (which it currently isn't) and for Xbox One to become cheap. I don't see much in the 8th generation or current PC games that interest me, so I stick with the older stuff. I'm certainly not going to repurchase a bunch of games that I already own. If MS is doing this because they want to profit on old games, then I suspect the BC program will be shuttered.

Interesting, price is double EA access though. Clearly these things are catching on though. How long until "Sony pass"?

I think these services strike me best as if there's a particular game you'd like to play, it's essentially a month long rental of that game (then cancel sub). Probably a better deal than 3.25 per day from redbox. Well, that's how I'd use the service anyway.

Edit: I saw on GAF Gamestop's stock is down 9% today due to this announcement. Viewed as an attack on the used game business.

Last edited:
Interesting, price is double EA access though. Clearly these things are catching on though. How long until "Sony pass"?

I think these services strike me best as if there's a particular game you'd like to play, it's essentially a month long rental of that game (then cancel sub). Probably a better deal than 3.25 per day from redbox. Well, that's how I'd use the service anyway.

Edit: I saw on GAF Gamestop's stock is down 9% today due to this announcement. Viewed as an attack on the used game business.

well if sony does this type of service then ps now is dead ... essentially ps now is higher priced version of xbox game pass.

We could make a similar point to movies in the bargain bin... Netflix still has an insane number of subscribers.
Its an option, I get it's not for everyone, movie goers go to theaters to watch the movies they want to, but not everyone can.
If Netflix only had a hundred movies, people probably wouldn't subscribe. Not for more than a couple of months by which time they've watched every film they wanted to and a few films they didn't want to just to get their money's worth.

It depends entirely on the library and whether there's enough titles someone wants to play to be cost effective. But by being old titles, the value is diminished. $10 a month to play any and every game released from day one, or even day 30, would be crazy money and well worth it! But the named and shown titles, presumably the biggest flagship names, are budget bin titles, so it's less clear cut where the value is. Especially if hard copies can then be sold/traded on.

It's a shame because I really like the idea of a complete library, much more Netflix, but no company is doing that. Sony charge crazy money for old titles and their lame streaming service. MS announce a library service at a good price but then limit it to a fraction of the library including a load of last-gen games. The GWG and PS+ libraries are probably better value.

You could buy Halo 5 (or many other of the titles) for $15 and then trade it in for a total loss a fiver maybe. Most of the games in GameStop are going to be recent A+ titles whereas much of this library looks like last-gen titles with little resell value. The ninth game in the promo graphic is GoW which you can pick up for two quid. Fable 3 for three quid.

This is far less of threat to GameStop than eBay is, unless it grows to feature more relevant content. But it's never going to have anything less than a year old on it which is where the second hand market generates its money, with recent games traded in.

well, things are getting interesting

C5wjikCWcAASrog.jpg

Does this mean an end to future BC updates?
I spent the past three years acquiring a large number of 360 games because they were cheap. I've been going through them slowly, but I've still got plenty left to play. I don't have an Xbox One. I was waiting for most of my library to be included in the BC list (which it currently isn't) and for Xbox One to become cheap. I don't see much in the 8th generation or current PC games that interest me, so I stick with the older stuff. I'm certainly not going to repurchase a bunch of games that I already own. If MS is doing this because they want to profit on old games, then I suspect the BC program will be shuttered.

When they launched the Rare replay bundle the 360 games that where included also went into general BC availability rather lock it away as part of that title.

If anything I suspect this might accelerate BC as it ties new revenue to thoes titles which are perfect to include, great games and probably far cheaper to include than a current gen AAA titles. Otherwise BC is money spent for nothing earned bar PR.

I am not sure how popular digital was for the 360 for retail released titles, so whilst many may own the old games that will be with a disk and I think the move to digital is growing so paying to not have to use disks and get a large library might be beneficial.

As for GameStop perhaps the market is not just worried about future revenue because if this but the potential Microsoft have just devalued millions of dollars of second hand stock they currently sit on. A one two blow.

As for GameStop perhaps the market is not just worried about future revenue because if this but the potential Microsoft have just devalued millions of dollars of second hand stock they currently sit on. A one two blow.
That's stock is something like 100 titles on one platform worth a few bucks each, and if no-one's buying it then it's not really that much anyway. If there's a million Fable III copies in their warehouse for which they'd charge $5, they aren't losing $5 million with its inclusion in Game Pass. XGP represents a subset of gamers who want to use it, from which a subset would have bought Fable 3 (or any of the other titles) anyway.

You could buy Halo 5 (or many other of the titles) for $15 and then trade it in for a total loss a fiver maybe.
Certainly not through Gamestop ;) haha man those guys are brutal.

If Netflix only had a hundred movies, people probably wouldn't subscribe. Not for more than a couple of months by which time they've watched every film they wanted to and a few films they didn't want to just to get their money's worth.

It depends entirely on the library and whether there's enough titles someone wants to play to be cost effective. But by being old titles, the value is diminished. $10 a month to play any and every game released from day one, or even day 30, would be crazy money and well worth it! But the named and shown titles, presumably the biggest flagship names, are budget bin titles, so it's less clear cut where the value is. Especially if hard copies can then be sold/traded on.
We'll have to wait to see what the library is, but 100 games is a lot more than 200 hours worth of entertainment (assuming each movie was 2 hrs). I think there are quite a few hours of play in 100 games for some players. And for families with more than 1 player this is more ideal than purchasing them individually, these types of services tend to scale better with more people sharing the service.

That assumes you want to play all of them. Of all the games I get on PS+, I barely play any of them because the majority just don't appeal, just as I don't watch the vast majority of content on Netflix, and did watch any of the content on Amazon Prime Video!

It's definitely better value for more users on the same console, I agree.

$13.99/month Canadian...or about $168/yr. Not worth it in my opinion especially considering these are not going to be new games. Halo 5 has been on sale for $20 at times. The other games in that image are not exactly expensive either...especially when you factor in how good sales on Xbox have become for older games..

Then consider that the games are being cycled in/out on a monthly basis...and that you still have to purchased them at a discount to own them outright...

This program is only good for those who are buying several hundred dollars worth of games a year imo....and is probably pointless for those who only play the latest games.

The only way I would ever consider this is if Microsoft started including it's newest first party titles right away on release. Otherwise I don't think it's that great of a deal.

I think this is a perfect example of where this is a fantastic service for more casual players.

Halo 5, for example. If you are a casual player you likely aren't interested in the multiplayer. 20 USD might still be too high a price to pay. With this you could play the SP campaign in Halo 5 AND some other games for 9.99 USD.

In other words, it's perfect for someone like me. And might actually get me to turn on my XBO for the first time in about 1.5 years. I could not possibly care less for the multiplayer aspects of COD or Battlefield, but I love the single player in COD games. Again, this would be absolutely perfect.

I'd get it probably 1 or 2 months out of a year to play some games. And for added value, I can use it to demo games that I might not have played for free. Why do I say for free? Because I didn't pay the 9.99 USD fee for those games. I paid it to play something like Halo 5, COD, Battlefield, or something else.

And if those are games with potential long term value I can then consider buying them.

Also ownership isn't something I'm always interested in. There's a crap ton of games in my Steam Library that I wish I could just delete instead of hiding, because I played them once and I don't plan on ever playing them again. IE - I would have loved an option to just rent those games for a single play through, which is basically what something like this and EA access offer.

However, unlike renting a single game, I can rent a whole months worth of games for 9.99 USD. As someone mentioned earlier, it's really similar to Netflix. Most people would rather watch a movie and don't really want to own a movie. Don't know if that'll end up being the case for games as well, but for many games I don't see why that wouldn't be the case.

Ownership is overrated for most people. I used to have a DVD library of movies with well over 500 titles. How many of those did I watch more than once? Maybe 30 or 40? How many did I watch more than 4-5 times? Maybe 10? I'd have been much better off just renting or using a Netflix membership. My game library is the same way.

Regards,
SB

I think this is a perfect example of where this is a fantastic service for more casual players.

Halo 5, for example. If you are a casual player you likely aren't interested in the multiplayer. 20 USD might still be too high a price to pay. With this you could play the SP campaign in Halo 5 AND some other games for 9.99 USD.

In other words, it's perfect for someone like me. And might actually get me to turn on my XBO for the first time in about 1.5 years. I could not possibly care less for the multiplayer aspects of COD or Battlefield, but I love the single player in COD games. Again, this would be absolutely perfect.

I'd get it probably 1 or 2 months out of a year to play some games. And for added value, I can use it to demo games that I might not have played for free. Why do I say for free? Because I didn't pay the 9.99 USD fee for those games. I paid it to play something like Halo 5, COD, Battlefield, or something else.

And if those are games with potential long term value I can then consider buying them.

Also ownership isn't something I'm always interested in. There's a crap ton of games in my Steam Library that I wish I could just delete instead of hiding, because I played them once and I don't plan on ever playing them again. IE - I would have loved an option to just rent those games for a single play through, which is basically what something like this and EA access offer.

However, unlike renting a single game, I can rent a whole months worth of games for 9.99 USD. As someone mentioned earlier, it's really similar to Netflix. Most people would rather watch a movie and don't really want to own a movie. Don't know if that'll end up being the case for games as well, but for many games I don't see why that wouldn't be the case.

Ownership is overrated for most people. I used to have a DVD library of movies with well over 500 titles. How many of those did I watch more than once? Maybe 30 or 40? How many did I watch more than 4-5 times? Maybe 10? I'd have been much better off just renting or using a Netflix membership. My game library is the same way.

Regards,
SB

I get that ownership is overrated..especially if you don't care for multiplayer. But if you don't do much gaming now I'd find it hard to justify $120USD a year for this...especially for games that are likely to be older/lower rated titles...

Also look at the names of the publishers that are part of this...the big 3 are out (EA, Activision, Ubisoft)...so you are not seeing games like COD as part of this anytime soon.

I get that ownership is overrated..especially if you don't care for multiplayer. But if you don't do much gaming now I'd find it hard to justify $120USD a year for this...especially for games that are likely to be older/lower rated titles...

Also look at the names of the publishers that are part of this...the big 3 are out (EA, Activision, Ubisoft)...so you are not seeing games like COD as part of this anytime soon.

That's the whole point for me, though. Why pay for a whole year? Just pay for a month here and there. As I mentioned. For me, just 1 or 2 months out of a year would be more than enough to get in some play on games I want to play but don't want to pay more than 5-10 USD (in some cases even less) for. At the same time I can demo/try out other games that I might or might not have been interested in.

Regards,
SB

You could buy Halo 5 (or many other of the titles) for $15

On Gamestop it seems to be $29.99 used?

I didn't really look over the list of titles. On a glance it did strike me as weak. But, they can increase it over time. I guess the flagship is Halo 5.

Still would seem better at 4.99 like EA access.

EA access OTOH seemed like a good deal. Just not for me (yet). These services are not really a fit for the way I prefer to consume games. Same reason I dont really rent, I suppose.

I wonder how much companies like these services because people sub and the forget? So they get charged 10 bucks ad infinitum for something they dont use. Nice recurring revenue stream.

Back