Accurate Human Rendering in Game [2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recop

Veteran
Last one :

Horizon-ZeroDawn_PS4_Test_012.jpg

Guerilla's tech and artistry has improved a LOT since the last Killzone game. I haven't seen enough of HZD yet, but it sure looks impressive.

As for Tarkin, the recent FXGuide article has revealed a lot about what seems to be the issue:
https://www.fxguide.com/featured/part-3-rogue-one-digital-humans/

It seems, to me at least, that it comes down to the photography.
New Hope was shot with very different cameras and thus with very different lighting and make-up. Tarkin looks and feels different mostly because even the actor himself would be the same in these conditions. I'm guessing that ILM realized this way too far into production, past the time of shooting, and so they had the no-win choice of either to post-process all the live plates to fit SWIV, or try to fit their CG Tarkin into a very different look.

If you look at the CG version of the stand-in actor, it looks completely convincing even in the test shots (which had no post work at all). I'm quite sure that ILM would've been able to do a completely convincing CG Tarkin for New Hope as well - but the difference in the lighting and such has worked against them and it was too much for the fans.

Guerilla's tech and artistry has improved a LOT since the last Killzone game. I haven't seen enough of HZD yet, but it sure looks impressive.

As for Tarkin, the recent FXGuide article has revealed a lot about what seems to be the issue:
https://www.fxguide.com/featured/part-3-rogue-one-digital-humans/

It seems, to me at least, that it comes down to the photography.
New Hope was shot with very different cameras and thus with very different lighting and make-up. Tarkin looks and feels different mostly because even the actor himself would be the same in these conditions. I'm guessing that ILM realized this way too far into production, past the time of shooting, and so they had the no-win choice of either to post-process all the live plates to fit SWIV, or try to fit their CG Tarkin into a very different look.

If you look at the CG version of the stand-in actor, it looks completely convincing even in the test shots (which had no post work at all). I'm quite sure that ILM would've been able to do a completely convincing CG Tarkin for New Hope as well - but the difference in the lighting and such has worked against them and it was too much for the fans.

To me the one thing that I look at and notice that it's CG immediately is the lips on this picture

tt1070.4K_publicity.v66.1067CROP.jpg

It's as if they lack definition/details

A little comparison to finish :

Horizon-ZeroDawn_PS4_Test_012.jpg

Horizon-Zero-Dawn%E2%84%A2_20170221111027.jpg

In the right lighting conditions, her model can really be something.

First game that really pushes me to buy a Pro. I will definitely wait to get a pro to buy this game :

33074810226_a112f6cc14_o.png

32989506351_1c94ab73e4_o.png

And it's gameplay screenshots from the photomode (no cutscenes). That blood vessel on her arm though :LOL:

Middle-ware avatar creation tool from 3Lateral in Unreal Engine with Star Citizen (Lumberyard egine) assets

Starts at 6:56:20: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/125625961?t=06h56m22s

Audio driven animation curves sounds good too.

A few points:
  • 3Lateral has been working with CIG for some time now.
  • The face scans might look familiar because they're CIG's models.
  • This particular demo shown was made in Unreal. But the software is a middleware solution. Middleware is a general term for software that serves to "glue together" separate, often complex and already existing, programs (like game engines).
  • CIG's implementation of this might look very similar.
  • 3Lateral created 30 of these characters and the frame rate still remained 60fps on a decent machine.
  • With this technology they can create hundreds of unique characters from just a few scanned heads.
  • I believe we've seen 3Lateral's user interface on CIG monitor's too.
  • This mixing and matching of "DNA" is like what they talked about in the "10 for the Chairman" special edition:

(source: https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/5x0b8e/star_citizen_avatar_creation_3dlateral_tech/)

You may have seen some of these faces here before (Lumberyard):

Last edited:
Polygondensity in the face could be slightly higher for a main character but apart from that it is very good to my opinion.

The eyebrows look 2d but I'm unsure.

EDIT:
Seems to be 2d but I am still not shure.

Gameplay photo mode.

horizonzerodawn_20170gls7p.png

Aloy is definitely an extremely high quality model, everything from her hair, model detail, texture res and shaders are a massive leap over something like The Witcher 3. In fact the models in general are much higher quality than TW3's.
1ehjue.png

Last edited:
polycount for the face could be higher yes, but i like the fact that she is homogenous with the rest of the body, a lot of today games tend to put a lot of detail in the faces and then the bodies are lacking (hands, chlothes etc...).

I just talked about the polygondensity of the face. The clothing is excellent.

Just a few games can deliver something like that. [your picture]:
7fnnhWf.jpg

Last edited:
Yes that's the hard task of finding the right balance. I'm sure uncharted 4 has more polygons on the faces, but the hands are less detailed.
It's a lot less obvious this gen, but last gen there was a huge gap between faces and bodies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back