New forum themes

Rys

Graphics @ AMD
Veteran
Supporter
While debugging the theme display issues with Sinistar (thanks for the help!), I decided that rather than hunt down the bug and add yet more cruft to the CSS and configuration, that I'd start from scratch. There are a bunch of advantages to that approach, not least longer term maintenance, so it felt like the best way to go.

So I inherited new child styles from the theme we use and recreated the light and dark variants that we've had for ages now. They're not identical to what was there before, especially in the default Beyond3D theme (the lighter one), so there's some new stuff to get used to for those using that theme.

The most notable changes are that user avatars now show up in a few more places than before, where I think it looks good for them to be there, and that the forums list in the lighter theme is grid-like, rather than a straight list.

Leave feedback here so I can fix any issues and adjust things more to everyone's tastes where possible (no promises I can do what you want though, although I will consider everything!).

Little usability bug that always annoys me and I will use the layout changes to nag about:
  • Bearded guy I never click on: 100 pix circle.
  • "Goto new posts" dot I click every time I visit the site for every thread: 5 pix circle
edit: It's nice seeing the faces :p

I didn't even know that little dot was a link to new posts. I'll do something about the size.

I can finally see full posts without having to go into landscape mode on my mobile!!

Could I suggest removing the "total number of posts in subforum" information from the main page?
Not that important on a PC, but takes up vertical space on the phone.

The phone experience has been fixed for me too :)

Could I suggest removing the "total number of posts in subforum" information from the main page?
Not that important on a PC, but takes up vertical space on the phone.
Agreed, it's the kind of information that might occasionally be useful but could well be offloaded to another page.

It uses the exact same palette as the old dark theme. Is the quibble the primary text colour, or the oranges?

Yeah dark theme I've used since switching to Xenforo and the palette doesn't seem to have changed.

I actually don't remember the orange from the dark logo, but I could very well be thinking of another forum knowing my reliable memory. :p

I don't know what it was like before, I just tried it yesterday :p The buttons / bars are quite bright, to the point of being difficult to read
upload_2017-2-14_10-28-45.png

A 'dark' theme shouldn't have sun-coloured buttons :D

Back