IHV Preferences, Performance over Quality? *Spawn*

Most people here have pascal cards w/o all your issues ... really sounds like you have a fk'up OS (Windows 10?). By any chance did you uninstall your AMD drivers prior to using the 1070? Or do you have both AMD and Nvidia drivers installed at the same time? Though there are some issues with Nvidia drivers I really doubt that's issue as AMD driver threads seem to have issues as well which you don't seem to experience.

Last edited:
Most people here have pascal cards w/o all your issues ... really sounds like you have a fk'up OS (Windows 10?). By any chance did you uninstall your AMD drivers prior to using the 1070? Or do you have both AMD and Nvidia drivers installed at the same time?

Yup, AMD driver's uninstalled. I also go through and change the driver to the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter prior to a change to ensure that nothing from a previous display adapter interferes. It shouldn't as Windows is pretty good about these things these days but I do it regardless just to be extra safe.

Standard procedure for me for the past 20+ years when changing hardware.

Also note that some of the issues I've listed also happened in a Windows 8.1 machine that I built for my trip to Japan. And that machine has only ever had the Asus and MSI GTX 1070's in it.

I'm going to guess that most people don't stress their computer nearly as much as I do mine.

For whatever reasons, the 1070, despite having significantly more memory than the 290, runs out of memory significantly faster. I've had the display driver reset and applications closed due to insufficient GPU memory on the 1070 (both Win10 and 8.1) but have had that happen rarely on the 290 (usually required hundreds of tabs being open versus 10's of tabs on the 1070). That may be what caused video playback in browsers to stop working just now, who knows. All I know is that the 1070 is rapidly leaving a taste in my mouth as the worst video card I've ever owned.

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
For whatever reasons, the 1070, despite having significantly more memory than the 290, runs out of memory significantly faster
That never happens to me, the largest I've had was close to a 4GB consumption at desktop, and that was with a couple of 3D applications in the background.
Giving the abundance of problems that you have in your system, I am pretty sure it's not your video card, it's something else, perhaps some kind of software or hardware conflict. I encourage you to dig deeper.

Which driver are you using? I have seen that insufficient memory warning in the past but not recently ... either check how much virtual memory your OS is using (if any) or try a different driver. Currently I'm using 378.57 on Win 7 with no issues ....

Which driver are you using? I have seen that insufficient memory warning in the past but not recently ... either check how much virtual memory your OS is using (if any) or try a different driver. Currently I'm using 378.57 on Win 7 with no issues ....
He experienced that on two systems with Win8.1 and Win10. As a last guess I would ask if the OS are fully updated and if SB could try a different browser (Firefox? Opera is chromium-based).

When I reinstalled the graphics driver the other day, I downloaded the lastest one from the NVidia website, 378.49. Will see if that addresses some of the issues I've been having. Fingers crossed.

Regards,
SB

He experienced that on two systems with Win8.1 and Win10. As a last guess I would ask if the OS are fully updated and if SB could try a different browser (Firefox? Opera is chromium-based).

Yeah I should give Firefox a try again. Is it better now? The last time I'd used it (years ago), it was a dog (and buggy) and unlike IE11 (also a dog) it didn't offer enough features to accelerate my workflow that I wanted to keep using it.

The only reason I use Chrome occasionally is that it's fast even though it's seriously lacking in features. I do like the new Opera's free VPN though. It's allowed me to watch some old SnL video's on YouTube that are blocked in the US. Amusingly enough video's that are hosted on YouTube by the rights holders. I'm guessing that it's because SnL is an NBC property and NBC is owned by Comcast so they don't want US viewers to be able to view them without paying in some way.

Regards,
SB

firefox is much better now ;) I've been using that and edge, but firefox has all the plugins that I like so its my main browers, I like using edge for other things, special its developer tools, easier to access and navigate through.

When I reinstalled the graphics driver the other day, I downloaded the lastest one from the NVidia website, 378.49. Will see if that addresses some of the issues I've been having. Fingers crossed.

Regards,
SB
Some people are reporting stuttering/streaming (of 3D data, not video) issues with that one.

Regards,
SB

Download DDU, remove every part of drivers from AMD and Nvidia. clean the registry again if needed and specially reinstall chrome, edge, FF ( I have got similar problem with flash with chrome, FF, as youtube video dont play, flashplayer culprit ), i was think to an hardware starting to die, but after some research on the net i have find that many had the problems at this right same moment. )... i have clean the drivers, uninstall reinstall my browsers for be sure. and disable flash acceleration just in case. ( note youtube run in HTML5 ).. everything is ok since.

When I reinstalled the graphics driver the other day, I downloaded the lastest one from the NVidia website, 378.49. Will see if that addresses some of the issues I've been having. Fingers crossed. Regards,
SB
FYI, a new driver for "For Honor" should be coming out either today/tomorrow. DDU mentioned above is an excellent idea ... in my case it found registry driver remnants 5 years old and removed them.

Welp so much for that. I just lost a long arse forum post I was making on the forums here because as soon as I launched Warframe (so that the launcher could check for updates in preparation of me playing it later), the NVidia driver decides to crap out. It wasn't even the bloody game, just the gdamn launcher for the game. The window of Edge that I was working in reset and unloaded all tabs. Explorer reset. And the graphics driver reset. Chrome is now unresponsive (thankfully I just need to end task on it and restart it).

Ugh. I'm starting to wonder if it's related to putting Windows to sleep. I seem to have far more issues after coming out of sleep than I do before putting it to sleep. But I haven't been paying attention. Either way it's getting really annoying. I'm using to having uptime on my desktop before a full reboot of weeks or months. I'm not even getting 2 days before I'm running into issues that might require a reboot.

What's funny is that the 290 ran just fine even with the NVidia drivers for the 1070 installed. Prior to leaving for Japan I hadn't bothered doing the whole uninstall bit for the 1070 drivers prior to leaving as I only expected it to be in the machine for a day. If only that card wasn't so much noisier than the 1070.

Regards,
SB

One person at Guru3D stated he had an issue under Win10 when running FIFA17 using a GTX 1070. So probably if your system/devices/programs/etc... is an exact duplicate you will probably have the same issues. It seems it might have more to do with a specific cocktail involving Win 10/NVidia driver/hardware.

My wife and I have been using 970/980 with Chrome and Firefox for a couple of years now and never have any of these issues. A lot of youtube, twich stream, wife plays a bunch of FB/Flash games, keeping stuff open in the background and playing games etc. Upgraded to Windows 10 as soon as it was released. However, we never put our computers to sleep. They're only restarted occasionally.

AMD has no preference of performance over quality and no features are lagging because of this mythical philosophy.

I am sorry but those of us with long term memory know better. Ever since the advent of unified shaders AMD has been slighly stumbling on the quality front. They introduced demotion in FP16 percision to the simpler R11G11B10 render to boost performance and slightly alter image quality. They also introduced the reduced tessellation factor, designed to boost performance at the expense of slightly changed image qulaity. They also struggled to keep their AF quality up to standards for several generations.

While things are even now ever since GCN came along, veteran users know better. AMD certainly made compromises before not long ago and with NVIDIA's constant push for image quality enhancements which is mentioned here by the users. I dont think it is right to phrase such statement in such an over-confident way.

thank you

I am sorry but those of us with long term memory know better. Ever since the advent of unified shaders AMD has been slighly stumbling on the quality front. They introduced demotion in FP16 percision to the simpler R11G11B10 render to boost performance and slightly alter image quality. They also introduced the reduced tessellation factor, designed to boost performance at the expense of slightly changed image qulaity. They also struggled to keep their AF quality up to standards for several generations.

While things are even now ever since GCN came along, veteran users know better. AMD certainly made compromises before not long ago and with NVIDIA's constant push for image quality enhancements which is mentioned here by the users. I dont think it is right to phrase such statement in such an over-confident way.

thank you

Veteran users should also know that at some points NVidia lagged behind AMD (ATi at the time) in AF quality quite significantly, it's been back and forth between the two. Same goes for AA quality with it taking a few generations for NVidia to catch up. Tessellation factor is completely user controlled, by default there is no limitation on tessellation factor.

Also up until recently AMD weren't taking shortcuts with regards to AF quality by default. You could only get 100% correct AF on NVidia hardware by increasing it in the drivers. However, since users by and large preferred the reduced quality of NVidia AF (they found it more visually pleasing due to less shimmering), AMD now also defaults to lower quality AF by default in order to match the AF output of NVidia hardware. It was also something that gave NVidia cards a very slight advantage when benchmarked at default AF quality levels.

Basically anything you accuse AMD of doing NVidia has done as well.

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
Back