Sony VR Headset/Project Morpheus/PlayStation VR

But limited to rotational tracking

And 60hz ... wow that really is too low, notice it right away, extremely uncomfortable. It does work though and there is also a way to get the move controllers to work. Will be interesting to see where it ends up eventually.

It describes EMG reading from a sensor positioned near the temple area. The idea is that it can give a direction of movement, and an amplitude of movement from the muscle electrical signal from the eye before the movement happens. The camera can then correct the exact position at a lower sampling rate from a camera or optical sensors.

As someone who has worked and is working with surface EMG (assuming they won't stick needles through people's skulls to play VR games), I'd say this is one of those patents that companies file in the hopes that some time in the future the base technology gets a huge breakthrough.
Even if they implement tens or hundreds of eletrode pairs to prevent myoeletric cross-talk, the sheer difference in biometrics between people (muscle distances) or even the same person at different situations (body temperature, sweat, humidity, etc.) makes sEMG pretty much useless for anything other than reading larger muscles or muscle groups.

As someone who has worked and is working with surface EMG (assuming they won't stick needles through people's skulls to play VR games), I'd say this is one of those patents that companies file in the hopes that some time in the future the base technology gets a huge breakthrough.
Even if they implement tens or hundreds of eletrode pairs to prevent myoeletric cross-talk, the sheer difference in biometrics between people (muscle distances) or even the same person at different situations (body temperature, sweat, humidity, etc.) makes sEMG pretty much useless for anything other than reading larger muscles or muscle groups.
Yes, this is solved by the sensor fusion. They can have a small array of sensors (some contactless capacitive thingies) and learn with successive correlation between predictive and measured data. It can be done between frames since the correct data (camera) is there every 60Hz. That's a nice set of prediction/measurement pairs per second. It doesn't need exact clean signal from each muscle, just enough entropy in the dataset, even if there's a lot of crosstalk and the data isn't human readable. Some fuzzy logic can correlate whatever it needs.

The patent proposes a Kalman filter for this.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kalman_filter

Last edited:
Anyone here cares to share their Resident Evil 7 PSVR experiences?

I only tried the demo (which AFAIK had no Pro enhancements) but I had to stop mid-way because I totally had other stuff to do and definitely not because I was about to shit my pants in fear.

Also, I hope they release an Ace Combat 7 demo ASAP.

Somewhat skewed data though. Chances are the population is self-selecting because a larger proportion of PSVR owners are going to want RE7 as one of the few AAA VR titles available. Total PSVR adoption is likely well shy of 10% of PS4s. Well, of course it is. 10% of PS4's would be 5 million PSVRs sold in 3 months - we'd have heard about that! :runaway:

I think the value of the ~10% number is more as an indicator for other devs on what the business case is for spending additional dev time on a VR mode. To me it seems like positive news that the VR mode is giving the game additional press that it would otherwise not have gotten, and that a significant chunk of their users are apparently actually using it to play the game.

Somewhat skewed data though. Chances are the population is self-selecting because a larger proportion of PSVR owners are going to want RE7 as one of the few AAA VR titles available. Total PSVR adoption is likely well shy of 10% of PS4s. Well, of course it is. 10% of PS4's would be 5 million PSVRs sold in 3 months - we'd have heard about that! :runaway:
Yes that is correct, though I think the 10% is from the total of people playing RE, thus its prolly ~20% of PS4 owners for that game are using PSVR
It looks like Sony are not doing a good job with supplying PSVR
https://www.nowinstock.net/videogaming/accessories/playstationvr/
You can't buy the thing new in the USA, and also here in NZ FWIW.
Whats the issue?, why can't sony make enough of PSVR, its obvious ppl want it. Whats causing the hold up in production, the screens?

Breaking it down further we have some numbers. It's ~81,000 people using PSVR in RE7. Out of ~50 million hardware units in the wild. Not all 50 million consoles represent unique owners, of course. But it's safe to say it represents a relatively small drop in the bucket of PS4 owners. Heck that ~81,000 number doesn't even represent 10% of PSVR owners, does it?

Granted that's ~81,000 PSVR users in RE7 that agreed to share data with Capcom. The numbers would be far more enlightening if we knew how many users in total (not just ones that agreed to share data) were playing RE7. That might at least get us somewhere useful for discussion, albeit with extrapolated numbers that would likely still not be all that correct.

Regards,
SB

New bundles coming out with the new camera. No idea why it took them so long.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2017/02/01/more-playstation-vr-bundles-coming-this-month/
32180755810_768d4655b5_z.jpg

32519043476_da12ac7304_z.jpg

That Eurogamer RE video surprised me, as I thought that using stick to move was a guaranteed puke fest without a cockpit around you. I guess it's fairly slow moving, which helps?

3d TVs are rubbish, as unlike 3d cinema, it's essentially like looking at a movie in a fish tank.

3d content is still a nice earner for the cinema, so content will still be produced.

Personally, I really struggle with 3d since I'm a specs wearer. 3d movies in VR, where it's effectively a glasses free cinema screen might have an appeal. Probably once the resolution is better though.

3d TVs are rubbish, as unlike 3d cinema, it's essentially like looking at a movie in a fish tank. .

Depends on the size of your screen and how close you sit. As well as the added depth which I find appealing, active 3d at least vastly increases the picture quality over standard 1080p.

Back