Nintendo Switch Tech Speculation discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ouch at 2.5 hours, I guess there is no putting lipstick on that TX1 pig. I hope that's with the screen at outdoor levels of brightness but I doubt flooring it would get you more than 3.5 indoors. It's sounding more and more like this is a very straightforward implementation of TX1. At this point I would not be surprised to learn it has no customisation at all.

I thought the logic in downclocking the hell out of TX1 (or whatever it is) was to get decent battery life, but it seems Nintendo managed to cheap out on both the SoC and the battery itself.

Its as if Nintendo Switch is more of a successor to the Wii than Wii U was. Tons of focus spent on the Joy Cons motion technology, and their advanced rumble technology. That pricing though.......ouch! I feel like $249 was the sweet spot for a product like Switch, and the controllers are just outrageously overpriced. Its basically Wii remote technology with better rumble technology. Not something that justifies the price.

Hard to dissect hardware performance from what we saw. Nintendo's games look great, Mario Kart 8 is certainly an upgrade over Wii U. Mario Oddesy looks good in the Mushroom kingdom environments, but pretty blah in a few of the more realistic environments. Splatoon 2 looks good, pretty sure its native 1080p. Nothing screams "this is more than a Tegra X1." So pretty much a what we would expect from a Tegra X1 in a closed environment with 3GB of ram.

Gamespot told that MK8 is a little worse looking on the Switch that on the WiiU... I've only see the videos, It look the same to me. Good art & Jaggies (could be the Wii U / Switch moto...)

Gamespot told that MK8 is a little worse looking on the Switch that on the WiiU... I've only see the videos, It look the same to me. Good art & Jaggies (could be the Wii U / Switch moto...)

I will wait to here from more hands on users. The video last night when I was watching the feed the MK8 certainly looked sharper to me. I'm sure Eurogamer will be dissecting games over the next few weeks. I will be interested to see just how much different games look in portable mode versus docked. Did the guys from Gamespot played MK8 portable or docked? I don't think they mentioned how they played it. I would be surprised if textures aren't improved, after watching the trailer again, they certainly look sharper.

I will wait to here from more hands on users.
Reports of performance on pre-launch software don't bother me, that's generally the case as DF often report in pre-post launch comparisons. I know it's the internets and intelligence takes a dive but wow.. :rolleyes: The last stage of development is optimisation. Finalise features, fix bugs, optimise, optimise, optimise.

Welcome to Beyond 3D, where posters never learn anything because that makes discussion less hyperbolic. :runaway:

Nintendo confirmed today that Mario Kart 8 runs in 1080p 60fps. The guy at Gamespot must not have played it docked.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

I liked the idea of the boxing game with the motion controls. I wonder how well they track though. i really want a boxing style game for PSVR, but perhaps they are too afraid of people hurting themselves.

This seems very much like a Wii U 2.0
  • Weak hardware comparable to competitors
  • Low chances of strong third party support because of it, unless it sells incredibly well. And questionable even if that happens given the gulf in h/w performance
  • Way too late into the generation
If all they are willing to sell is a Nintendo machine why aren't they going full software?

I'm hearing the HD rumble technology is excellent. I also read that Zelda BoTW is 900p docked and 720p portable. Performance is supposedly very good, but not 100 percent stable, still some slow down here and there. Ubisoft is bringing Steep to Switch, I'm hoping there is a 1080 tie in.

Not sure if this has been covered here or not, but from the launch event on January 12th/13th, the Nintendo Switch does not support HDR and does not support 4K output, even when docked. I can somewhat understand the pass over of 4K support in the dock but I can't fathom the total lack of HDR support.

Not sure if this has been covered here or not, but from the launch event on January 12th/13th, the Nintendo Switch does not support HDR and does not support 4K output, even when docked. I can somewhat understand the pass over of 4K support in the dock but I can't fathom the total lack of HDR support.
Nintendo.

Tom at Eurogamer is hearing Fifa 18 will be based off the 360/ps3 builds. I have been saying for a long time, with EA's Sports titles, there is no reason they can't use the older engines of it makes the process easier. I'm hoping Madden makes an appearance as well. If it does, I'm sure it will be announced at E3, seeing as Football (American) is only popular here in the state's. I would bet NBA 2K18 will most likely use their 360/ps3 engine as well.

Anythung about the switch audio? I am hoping it will have pcm 7.1 at the very least. Since the size of zelda wiiu and switch are so close it should have at least pcm 5.1 I hope.

Anythung about the switch audio? I am hoping it will have pcm 7.1 at the very least. Since the size of zelda wiiu and switch are so close it should have at least pcm 5.1 I hope.

All the material I see about it only says the following:

On the audio side, the Switch will output 5.1 surround sound over HDMI via the dock, and the unit features a headphone jack for stereo sound on the go.

This seems very much like a Wii U 2.0
  • Weak hardware comparable to competitors
  • Low chances of strong third party support because of it, unless it sells incredibly well. And questionable even if that happens given the gulf in h/w performance
  • Way too late into the generation
If all they are willing to sell is a Nintendo machine why aren't they going full software?
To be honest I dont see the performance as being the reason it will fail. The concept and design more than make up for it. Its perfect.

Its the price points and other business choices the reasons it will fail.

Its more expensive than competition

Games are more expensive even if they are the same games as the WiiU's

Nintendo always had an attrocious online service, now they will be charging for multiplayer

Super expensive accessories

Free games are SNES and NES games you will own for only a month

32GB of storage memory means more expenses to purchase additional memory

2-6 hours of battery life

The concept is self sabotaging and its a real shame because its beautiful. Its like it cant accommodate all the tick points that will make it shine due to technological and cost limitations and partly due to Nintendo's efforts to charge premium prices which are prohibitive. The lrices contradict the family friendliness they want to achieve. Price was one of the reasons Wii was such an attractive product which Wii U also missed

Sent from my SM-J320F using Tapatalk

German news site heise online also reports that Zelda is stuttering on Switch when docked. This really does not look good.

But look on the upside: Nintendo Switch+ coming holiday season 2018. Battery life will be slightly better (3.5 to 7 hrs) and with an improved SOC it will be able to play Zelda 1080p60. Sadly you won't be able upgrade your existing system. No way to buy just the handheld and drop it into your existing dock because Nintendo will change the dock for ... eh... technical reasons. Also Switch+ will be more expensive. But hey, we all know Nintendo really needs the money. :mrgreen:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back