Final Fantasy XV [XO, PS4, PC]

It could be an engine problem if the tools are too hard to use to make the game with good assets.

I mean, they even didn't rotate the vegetation and decals. Things that can be done automatically by the tools in the engine

It could be an engine problem if the tools are too hard to use to make the game with good assets.

I mean, they even didn't rotate the vegetation and decals. Things that can be done automatically by the tools in the engine

An engine is not only the rendering part but the tools too, maybe the tools aren't very good or the work organization is not very good. A topic on GAF with impressions from the visual designer of FF XV (visual work)

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1327881&page=1

But we must say that they are very disorganized. We staff -200 souls in it- we had to work even when the story had not been defined. In 2013, in fact, this blessed story kept changing every three months and the deadline for delivery of the game -That definitively had been set for the end of 2014 (who would have imagined that they would then pulled for long until you get November 2016?).
In the world of animation, however, (the world where I come from) the story is catalyzed guide before calling in if its staff to avoid this type of waste

Last edited:
Despite its flaws this is a stunningly beautiful game. The sheer amount of stuff they are trying to pull off in real-time is impressive, and most of the time (so far) they are pulling it off competently.

31105734713_bd3d11c94d_o.png

31877749106_babcc5fb51_o.png

31798333661_55acb39fe0_o.png

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/411/31767265692_d3b69f4b3c_o.png
https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/588/31914905005_0885bd0dfa_o.png
https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/392/31541721890_7ae2a0da7b_o.png

SSR being used to a great effect in this game: https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/763/31541692320_23d4a63fbb_o.png
Good SSS implementation for all characters: https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/268/31914873325_00e409459d_o.png
You can even see the city lights from the city of Insomnia at night, neat detail: https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/732/31914826435_46ccf1d84e_o.png

It would be interesting to see their engine in a game like The Order because it has clearly the potential to produce very realistic graphics.

The tech is really impressive but FF15 is clearly too ambitious. At the end the visuals are inconsistent.

In like for like scenarios, the Luminous Engine would be among the top 5 engines created this gen, without a doubt.

Last edited:
It would be interesting to see their engine in a game like The Order because it has clearly the potential to produce very realistic graphics.

The tech is really impressive but FF15 is clearly too ambitious. At the end the visuals are inconsistent.

In like for like scenarios, the Luminous Engine would be among the top 5 engines created this gen, without a doubt.
Concurred, giving more familiarization with the engine and better optimization I can see massive improvement in FFXVI if it ever takes off.

They already made it quite clear that Luminous is a dead end. Which is a bit of a shame.

At least i hope that most of the technology developed for the game won't go to waste.

Edit: As for the game, i'm really enjoying it so far, way more than i expected :smile:

And boy do they get forests right! Not the most high quality assets but shadows everywhere :yes:

31588999700_c49ac47469_o.png

Shadowmaps as a whole are a strong point in this game i think.

Last edited:
I'm glued to this game.
I'm addicted to grinding with hunts and just waiting for daemons to come out at night for several "days" in a row and then spending lots of money on staying the night in the one place where we get x2 EXP. I'm now close to lvl50 where the main quest is recommending lvl19, lol.

Interesting tidbit for 4K HDR users: unlike e.g. Uncharted 4, this game isn't telling the PS4 Pro to set the signal to YUV420 when in 4K HDR. The result is that while there is enhanced contrast, there seems to be a loss of color information so for example the sky gets terrible banding. For this game, I have to set the PS4 Pro output to 2160 YUV420 manually. With YUV420 I still get a tiny little bit of banding in the sky but I need to really be looking for it and it doesn't get my attention when playing the game.
Maybe it's a specific problem with my TV, but nonetheless people should be looking out for it.

They already made it quite clear that Luminous is a dead end. Which is a bit of a shame.
Are you sure? All news I'm getting is people explaining why the FF VII remake went with UE4 (i.e. hard to put other teams working on a new engine without an existing title to base specific implementations as examples). In fact, Sony has recently filed for the "Luminous Studio Pro" trademark. It doesn't look like it's a dead end.
There are a few problems with the engine, though. The PS4 versions have frame pacing issues that still persist over a month after launch and shouldn't have shipped with the game at all.
Also, it uses gameworks and I'd guess owning an in-house engine that is dependent on 3rd party software from a specific GPU vendor may not be very comfortable.

Frame pacing issues aside, Uncharted 4 on HDR + PS4 Pro certainly set the standard on IQ but this game really looks great nonetheless.
Personally, I think they should lower from 1800p to 1440p like Uncharted 4 does, and improve rendering distance a bit in the process.

At least i hope that most of the technology developed for the game won't go to waste.

Edit: As for the game, i'm really enjoying it so far, way more than i expected :smile:

And boy do they get forests right! Not the most high quality assets but shadows everywhere :yes:

31588999700_c49ac47469_o.png

Shadowmaps as a whole are a strong point in this game i think.
Why does it looks so blurry? What resolution is that?

Why does it looks so blurry? What resolution is that?

It's a combination of strong TAA and variable res (i think it goes as low as 900p on Ps4). It looks clean in motion so i don't really mind, i'm glad they dropped that heavy sharpening, it looked hideous with it on. IQ is not bad overall, but it's not anything to write home about either.
I'm glued to this game.
I'm addicted to grinding with hunts and just waiting for daemons to come out at night for several "days" in a row and then spending lots of money on staying the night in the one place where we get x2 EXP. I'm now close to lvl50 where the main quest is recommending lvl19, lol.

Same thing here, I've put 20 hours into it and i'm only in chapter 3 :)

Last edited:
And I thought I was taking it slow, getting to Chapter 5 in 22 hours lol. Not done much grinding though and not fought a demon as I was expecting some kind of unkillable beast, but it seems that isnt the case I will give one a try later.

And I thought I was taking it slow, getting to Chapter 5 in 22 hours lol. Not done much grinding though and not fought a demon as I was expecting some kind of unkillable beast, but it seems that isnt the case I will give one a try later.

The best part about leveling up is that after a certain level Ignis won't nag you about driving at night.
Really, the "I only ask that you keep the recklessness to a minimum" unskippable cutscene was starting to drive me nuts.

Yeah just got to a high enough level where he said he now thinks I'm strong enough to protect the group (cheeky sod is always the first to need reviving though lol)

I had to put two vitality enhancement amulets in Prompto so I didn't have to spend dozens of potions on him just to prevent him from going KO all the time.

The game could definitely use per object moblur and a stronger camera moblur which i think are prerequisites at 30 fps. That and an improved aa, i don't think their taa handles specular detail and temporal aliasing all that well. I'm up to chapter 6 right now and i'm still really enjoying my time with it, it turned out much better than i thought it would be (probably because of all the negative feedback on the internet :p). I can at least understand how badly they dropped the ball for (most) people going into this without having seen Kingsglaive and Brotherhood beforehand.

Last edited:
Does anyone here use camping very often?

I never camp because AFAIK it's a huge waste of EXP. I just keep playing until I gather a large enough amount of XP to justify paying for the beach hotel with 2x EXP upgrade.
Camping basically means leveling up at half the highest possible rate, which is a huge letdown since even the 300gil motels will give you a 1.5x rate.

And this is a shame, because it seems camping is the only way to get Ignis cooking for the team and also giving herbs to Chocobos.
They should at least allow for camping to increase the EXP rate in Ascension, otherwise it just doesn't make sense to use the feature.

yeah all the time to level up ignis, I do however equip the nyxperience band that is in the free winter DLC which stops exp being tallied while a team member wears it

Does anyone here use camping very often?

I never camp because AFAIK it's a huge waste of EXP. I just keep playing until I gather a large enough amount of XP to justify paying for the beach hotel with 2x EXP upgrade.
Camping basically means leveling up at half the highest possible rate, which is a huge letdown since even the 300gil motels will give you a 1.5x rate.

And this is a shame, because it seems camping is the only way to get Ignis cooking for the team and also giving herbs to Chocobos.
They should at least allow for camping to increase the EXP rate in Ascension, otherwise it just doesn't make sense to use the feature.
Wait until you get to Altissia and the hotel that has 3X EXP :)

But yeah, I didn't camp at all until I got to lvl 99 which is actually quite easy. Accumulate a good few hundred thousands EXP each time and go to Altissia to triple it. Easy peasy.

Back