B3D Book Club

I also re-read Raymond Chandler's, "Farewell my Lovely." It is way more racist than I remember, to the point where it's uncomfortable to read. Definitely has it's moments, and I love that genre, but it is pervasively racist. Very disappointing to go back to it. The Big Sleep is one of my favourite books ever.

Do you mean the book message is racist or the world Chandler describe is racist ?
Although I've read those two books a long time ago, I don't remember the former.
Those two novels are, in my opinion, essential reading

Do you mean the book message is racist or the world Chandler describe is racist ?
Although I've read those two books a long time ago, I don't remember the former.
Those two novels are, in my opinion, essential reading

The characterization of any character that's not white is horrible.

Finished the first of the Rho Assimilation trilogy and thoroughly enjoyed it. Next one not due until Dec 6th according to Amazon. Knew I should've waited. o_O

On a sci-fi classics vibe at the moment. There are so many I've not read yet.

Recently finished A Canticle for Liebowitz by Walter M Miller and now half way through listening to Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson.

I havent logged in for a long while but I did for this thread. =)

Props on "A Canticle for Liebowitz" I loved this book, and not many have read it.

Some books from my favorites list in no particular order:
Redshirts - John Scalzi - A book about the redshirts from star trek.
Old Man's War - John Scalzi - Great series with a pretty different twist
Robot series - Isaac Asimov - Sci-Fi detective Stories
Foundation series - Isaac Asimov - Far Future Space Opera
Forever War - Joe Haldeman - 1970 Far future Space war
Neuromancer series - William Gibson - What Cyberpunk is
Rendezvous with Rama - Arthur C Clark - Space Opera
A Mote in Gods Eye - Larry Niven, Jerry Pournelle - A story of 1st contact between humans and others.
The Man-Kizn War series - Larry Niven - Future multi alien society war

And a few others:
Footfall - Larry Niven - Earth Invasion
Dragonlance 1st and 2nd series - Margret Wiess, Tracy Hickman - Epic Fantasy, Great character building
Dragon Riders of Pern - Anne McCaffrey - Sci-Fi Dragon stories
The Dream-Quest of the Unknown Kadath - HP Lovecraft - Horror

Of course ....
Dune
Enders Game
The Martian
LOTR

Wife picked up Walking Dead Compendium 3 for me for fathers day. Absorbed most of it yesterday, just couldn't put it down. I'm actually a lot happier about the latest season of the TV series now that I've read this, I like what they did with the same storyline with Negan but in their own way. Now I'm REALLY looking forward to see how they handle the rest next season and the future stories with the TV series having read ahead.

I've recently read through the Mistborn series (final empire, well of ascension, the hero of ages, alloy of law, shadows of self, bands of mourning and secret history) and i've got to say i really like Sanderson's writing style. I might have to give The Stormlight Archive series a try since they are all based in the same universe (i think he's calling it the "cosmere"). Definitely recommend Mistborn if you are into high fantasy and well written characters :yep2:

I've recently read through the Mistborn series (final empire, well of ascension, the hero of ages, alloy of law, shadows of self, bands of mourning and secret history) and i've got to say i really like Sanderson's writing style. I might have to give The Stormlight Archive series a try since they are all based in the same universe (i think he's calling it the "cosmere"). Definitely recommend Mistborn if you are into high fantasy and well written characters :yep2:
So far liking the storm light archives more than I did mist born!

But mist born was great. How it ended was actually crazier than I thought. I think something similar is happening with storm light archives

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Finally got a kindle paperwhite and i now understand what I've been missing. This thing is incredible :)
Yep I procrastinated for years always being in favor of books but once I got a Voyage I'm hooked. Great for reading late at night in bed, no longer have to turn on the lamp and annoy the wife and love taking it on appointments, trips etc as it's small enough to tuck away in a pocket. Really like the adaptive light on the Voyage.

I remember enjoy the read of "Carrion Comfort", in non sci-fi I've to finish "le père Goriot" from Blazac as circumstances took me out of it no matter the catchy start (I start reading out aloud, it is well written and calls for it). Great book about human nature.

Last edited:
London-Boy
Good news
9FxUq32.jpg

Yes I know I'm a very very bad man ;)

Oh I just finished Reamde by Neal Stephenson, which I found captivating. It's a long one, but I did not want it to end. A couple of times the spell was momentarily broken as I wondered at the level of coincidence required for some of the plot to work, but I quickly came to the idea that had they not happened the story wouldn't have been so amazing, and that I suppose great, real life stories are often littered with unlikely chance events. I felt the final scene before the epilogue could've used another paragraph or two, I was left wondering about a small detail, but overall I enjoyed it immensely.

I'm reading The mirror of her dreams. I will keep my comments to myself until I finish. Any comments without spoilers?

Yep I procrastinated for years always being in favor of books
I'm still at that stage. I feel uncomfortable every time I think of it.

Last edited:
Oh I just finished Reamde by Neal Stephenson, which I found captivating. It's a long one, but I did not want it to end. A couple of times the spell was momentarily broken as I wondered at the level of coincidence required for some of the plot to work, but I quickly came to the idea that had they not happened the story wouldn't have been so amazing, and that I suppose great, real life stories are often littered with unlikely chance events. I felt the final scene before the epilogue could've used another paragraph or two, I was left wondering about a small detail, but overall I enjoyed it immensely.

I really enjoyed it as well. Truth be told, I was quite surprised that it only received middling reviews as it was as good as most of Stephenson's stuff.

I've got Seveneves, his latest, sitting on the shelf but just don't have the time to read much these days.

New Year's Resolution: Stop watching shit on the telly and read good books instead!

I'm still at that stage. I feel uncomfortable every time I think of it.

Once you go kindle, you never go....... uhm...

Point is, it does take a while to actually make the decision (I was the same) but once you do it you'll just think 'why have I not done this before?'

I pretty much always use it with the light off unless it's really dark and I don't have any light. Otherwise it's the best thing ever, the convenience factor alone is just too great. Being able to just download a book from anywhere in the world on free 3G (or just get the wifi only version). And the screen is fantastic, if you leave the light off or on very low - otherwise it is a bit like looking at an iPad which isn't great.

Try it!

Back