Windows 10 [2014 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's all a windows theme is. A collection of wallpapers and a UI color selection.
With Creators update they'll include sounds to the mix, and apparently later on they want themes to be actually themes that really change things

That's all a windows theme is. A collection of wallpapers and a UI color selection.
You are used to Windows 10, I think, but the description of a theme as I understand it is more along the lines of how Kaotik mentioned, with sounds and other stuff. The mystery theme in Microsoft Plus -an expansion of my first OS ever, Win95- and many others, were really good.

On a different note, the Windows 10 Store has some very interesting offers and games on sale for Christmas, like Wasteland 2 Director's Cut, for anyone interested.

Does anyone know if Windows' Display Scaling -options affect video feeds too?
eg. if I have 200% scaling on my 4K TV, does it scale a video playing in MPC-HC too, or does it let MPC-HC do it itself after scaling it's window etc?

I began pondering this after noticing that 1080p video when not in fullscreen takes just as much relative space on my 4K TV (with 200% scaling) as it does on my 1080p TV - the question is is the video feed scaled by Windows or MPC-HC

eg. if I have 200% scaling on my 4K TV, does it scale a video playing in MPC-HC too, or does it let MPC-HC do it itself after scaling it's window etc?

I began pondering this after noticing that 1080p video when not in fullscreen takes just as much relative space on my 4K TV (with 200% scaling) as it does on my 1080p TV - the question is is the video feed scaled by Windows or MPC-HC
Scaled by MPC-HC would be my guess. AFAIK Windows Display scaling only affects Win32 apps & OS UI elements (icons, scroll bars, menues etc) & fonts. I could be wrong though as thing have recently greatly evolved with the latest updates to Win10 in relation to how scaling works.

I have a 4k laptop that MPC-HC does not scale the video. The first time I opened a 1080P video on it, I'm like, why is the window so small.

Depends on how you have MPC setup. You can have selected "fill windows from side" or "fill window from top" selected which will scale video to fit the window size regardless of video scaling options.

I just upscaled the fonts to 117%. My laptop is quite small -1kg- and it just has a 11" screen, plus I expend a lot of time using it, and am myopic, so I also use Flux to help with eyestrain setting it at 3400k colour temperature.

Still, the white background of a window is kinda hard on the eyes, even if I have set the brightness to 37% or so

For those of you who spend a lot of time in front of the computer and hate a pure white background inside a window, you can create a theme to change that behaviour in Windows 10 -Windows 7 had an option to customise that and some genius removed that from Windows 10- :( . There is a workaround.

Open Notepad and copy the text below in it. Rename the file to whatever.theme (the whatever part means you can rename it as you like) and once done double click on it. I chose Beige but I also added a bit of Honeybell, which is easy on the eyes -you can customise it to your own liking, beige is a good soft colour to get rid of the white colour of any window-. It will help your eyes immensely, like it did to mine.

[Theme]
DisplayName=Beige
[Control Panel\Colors]
Window=227 221 191
Menu=252 189 108
InfoWindow=117 77 217
WindowFrame=252 189 108
AppWorkspace=227 221 191
[Control Panel\Desktop]
TileWallpaper=0
WallpaperStyle=10
[VisualStyles]
Path=%SystemRoot%\resources\themes\Aero\Aero.msstyles
ColorStyle=NormalColor
Size=NormalSize
[MasterThemeSelector]
MTSM=DABJDKT

Half of Steam users use Windows 10:

Windows 10: 50.35%

Windows 7: 33.87%
Windows 8/8.1: 10.01%
Windows XP: 01.15%
Windows Vista: 00.19%

Some random data:

1080p is the most common resolution in Steam
More than 20% of Steam users set their resolution to 1366x768 (laptop users probably, I am in that demographic)
HTC Vive almost doubles Oculus Rift in regards to people that have it
More than 30% of the users have a PC with at least 8GB of RAM
The most utilised graphics card is the GTX 970 followed by the 960 and the 750Ti

More data:
http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey

Windows 10 is going to get a "Game Mode" that focuses your PC's processing resources on gaming.

https://mspoweruser.com/microsoft-working-game-mode-windows-10/
Sitting next to files named GameBar & GamePanel I'd presume its related to the existing XBox overlay thing rather than something to improve game performance.

Also: Ugh after references to screen scaling I opened that screen to see what I had it at, clicked something I shouldn't have & have now messed up my scaling. Joy is me :shrug:

Sitting next to files named GameBar & GamePanel I'd presume its related to the existing XBox overlay thing rather than something to improve game performance.

Also: Ugh after references to screen scaling I opened that screen to see what I had it at, clicked something I shouldn't have & have now messed up my scaling. Joy is me :shrug:
Screen scaling can get you some weird results. Have you fixed it? I am quite happy with just font scaling up to 117%. My 11" really needed that. Well, not my laptop exactly but my eyes. Really....

As for the game mode, apparently it is going to work in Windows 10, Scorpio and Xbox One, as some form of UWP thingy.

Well I can't remember what I had it at :runaway: has been at something not really right for a while anyway since I had to re-install Windows but I put my 30" main screen to 125% which feels about right & am gonna try out 100% on the 24" since I think less GUI is probably better there.

Edit: so yeah I definitely had way too much scaling on the 24", might bump it up a bit later but now I know why I didn't seem to have any screen space happening so I guess it was a good thing after all :)

Last edited:
Hopefully they also added an option to totally disable dynamic color thingy and dynamic darken thingy.

It's bloody hard to disable on Intel gpu (need to manually fiddle with registry with weird values) and it keeps coming back after a few weeks. Probably windows update keeps resetting it.

@orangpelupa what are you talking about? I've run systems with only Intel cpu/gpu and have no idea what you're talking about. Maybe you're being too technical for me. What is "dynamic color thingy" or "dynamic darken thingy" ?

@orangpelupa what are you talking about? I've run systems with only Intel cpu/gpu and have no idea what you're talking about. Maybe you're being too technical for me. What is "dynamic color thingy" or "dynamic darken thingy" ?

I forgot the real term. I think a few pages back, clockos or someone else posted the registry editing link.

Basically it dynamically changing the contrast or color depending on the stuff on screen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back