Sony VR Headset/Project Morpheus/PlayStation VR

how good would checkerboard rendering tech work with a 4K VR headset ?

If we're able to get away with using motion vectors to produce a wholly synthetic frame (Oculus ASW), then it would seem to me that doing some sort of checkerboarded composite of a partially synthetic frame should be at least as good?

Good idea, and probably the best way to make money off VR at the moment as the cost to create is neglegable versus a game.

Yes please ... suppose this is made by the people behind that online fighting game with Dino's?

LOL! Scumbag devs.. this trailer is 100% pre-rendered..ARK is still an unfinished POS that runs like utter crap on all platforms; PC, Xbox and the recently released PS4 and Pro version... that runs at 20fps @ 720P & 30fps @ 680P on the PS4 and 30fps @ 720P on the PS4 Pro.

Yes please ... suppose this is made by the people behind that online fighting game with Dino's?

Apparently not. It's being developed by a chinese maker of MMORPGs called Snail Game Studios:

ARK Park is in development by Snail Games’ Peacock Studio, in coordination with creative input from Studio Wildcard, for a release in 2017 on PS VR. We’re looking forward to providing an experience that is enjoyable and exciting both for veteran hardcore ARK survivors, as well as newcomers who want to interact with these majestic extinct creatures in VR for the first time!

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016...-in-2017-interacts-with-ark-survival-evolved/

That reminds me, wasn't there a new version of Myst coming with VR support?

Star Wars Battlefront is going for 15€ again, in the digital store.
It's a passable price for anyone wanting to try the X-Wing demo :)

Thanks for the tip.

Stupid 50gb download overhead on that 2gb demo ;)

EDIT: that was pretty awesome ... ! This Matrix like presentation definitely deserves to be used more. :)

I was a bit too enthusiastic with the flying during some parts of the battle and got a bit woozy as a result, but it was so good that I didn't notice it until I came out of it.

Last edited:
Superb presentation aside, I found the SW experience rather underwhelming. Felt more like controlling an 18 wheeler in space than a nimble space fighter thanks to the lethargic speed and ginormous turn radius. And when it finally got somewhat exciting, it ended right then and there. I almost bought BF for it. Glad I didn't. The tiny snippet I played of Eve Valkyrie was infinitely more exciting. It's rather handsome too, so you're not even missing out in the spectacle department. Shame it's such a massive rip-off.

True, purely for the space battle stuff, Eve Valkyrie looked more exciting - though I thought that X-Wing looked better on a regular PS4, far less upscaling / artifacts. Apparently Eve Valkyrie now supports the PS4 Pro and that supposedly looks much better, so if it ever gets a bit cheaper ... (not sure yet if it is worth full price to me)

http://www.freshpatents.com/-dt20161215ptan20160364881.php
Interesting patent from SCE for gaze tracking using a crazy sensor fusion with standard camera for precision, high speed optical sensors for low latency, and EMG eye muscle reading for predicting movement. There's even a proposal of microphone detecting the noise profile of eye movement.

It describes EMG reading from a sensor positioned near the temple area. The idea is that it can give a direction of movement, and an amplitude of movement from the muscle electrical signal from the eye before the movement happens. The camera can then correct the exact position at a lower sampling rate from a camera or optical sensors.

This might give the necessary "negative latency" which is supposedly the missing link for small aperture foveated rendering. Maybe it could track saccades early and fast enough to get through the rendering pipeline latency?

(from Jeff Stafford again, it looks like this guy is the mastermind behind most of Sony's VR R&D group)

Haven't tried it yet but apparently TrinusPSVR allows you to use the PSVR with SteamVR on PC.

Back