The Official, Long Awaited, TV Shows Thread

West world comes highly recommended. It definitely has some flaws in the deus ex machina / suspension of disbelief department, but in general it is very entertaining.

First season is definitely a complete story, but with plenty of room for follow up seasons and even spinoffs ;)

I didn't think it had anything to do with Lost imho. I don't see a connection there (yet). But perhaps that is because I thought Lost turned out horrible rather quickly and by the time the plot twist came that is perhaps the main reason there is a comparison I hated the show to bits.

Just finished The Expanse first season.
Overall loved the space opera, loved the way the mystery unraveled itself but at the same time disappointed as I always am when the underlying story is revealed.

Just started watching The Originals 3rd season - guilty pleasure - and suddenly it dawns on me that this is basically Dallas with Vampires and in New Orleans ...

Also started watching The Gilmore Girls nostalgia trip. Talking about guilty pleasures, I own all of the DVD sets. Still like it, though growing out of it a tad.

Last edited:
West world comes highly recommended. It definitely has some flaws in the deus ex machina / suspension of disbelief department, but in general it is very entertaining.

First season is definitely a complete story, but with plenty of room for follow up seasons and even spinoffs ;)

I didn't think it had anything to do with Lost imho. I don't see a connection there (yet). But perhaps that is because I thought Lost turned out horrible rather quickly and by the time the plot twist came that is perhaps the main reason there is a comparison I hated the show to bits.
I watched the first episode of West World last night and I was throughly impressed I have to say. Firstly, Anthony Hopkins is simply fantastic. The overriding adjective I have for it, though, is chilling. When Hopkins' character is interviewing the defective father character... just shows you don't need jump scares and monsters to scare the audience witless!

The actor of the father in that scene was just fantastic. I don't know if they did any cuts or stills during that but it was thrilling to watch him pull off that scene.

Totally agree - he also had an element of being 'unnatural', you know? Something in his facial expressions and mannerisms, but also makeup design I suppose. It reminds me of how they make the synths in Humans look not quite... well, human.

Westworld blew me away, totally awesome all and all around enjoyment for me. The one that surprised me was I just finished up the first season of "Dirk Gently's Holisitic Detective Agency" and I bloody loved it! Either I don't remember the books that well or it's pretty much totally different from them, but it stands on its own legs and delivers for me. Funny, surprising, great dialogue, great acting, and weird enough that I'm still wondering about bits of it. (But in a good way. :) )

Highly recommended, good stuff.

Also, did we mention Rick and Morty yet? One of my new faves, and season 3 will come out sometime.

I was wondering about that, I really loved the two Dirk Gently stories as a book.

I know some fans of Rick and Morty and it seems smart, but when I watched the first episode I got really tired of the constant burping and farting.

I tried the first few episodes of Dirk Gently but I just couldn't get the same vibe that I had from the books.

I was wondering about that, I really loved the two Dirk Gently stories as a book.

I know some fans of Rick and Morty and it seems smart, but when I watched the first episode I got really tired of the constant burping and farting.
I know what you mean, it's pretty excessive in the first couple of episodes, to the point of distraction. But stick with it - it happens less as the series develops, and the concepts and writing are unbelievably strong!

Yeah, Rick's drooling/burping/farting/etc almost turned me off to the series too..but it is sooo worth it to stick with it! Brilliant writing and the concepts they play with get pretty heavy actually, while still being hilarious.

I just heard about The OA and started watching it, it just came out on Netflix and I think it's got some potential. At least it did after the first 10 minutes, then I had to go and do my grown up stuff before I settled in for a good binge.

Grown up stuff is done, I'm gonna go binge on it! :D

Anyone watched "Travelers"? I think it's a Showtime show about some people who's consciousnesses are sent back in to the past into the minds of people who've just died for some reason to save the world?

Just started watching it, can't decide if I'll keep it up or not but i'm only 10 minutes in so thought I'd ask around here. :p

Also, is the UK "Shameless" as good as the US one? I'm on season 5 of it now and just keep falling deeper in love with it. LOL

Just started watching it, can't decide if I'll keep it up or not but i'm only 10 minutes in so thought I'd ask around here. :p
wtf, ADHD? Why are you:
  1. wondering if you'll keep watching it
  2. considering buying it
  3. asking anywhere about it
after only 10 minutes into your first episode?

1. Because I am?
2. ROFLMAO!
3. I'm a social sort, and I can't always just kick back and watch stuff. Got interrupted after the first 10 minutes of the episode by some things and then didn't really have time to just sit down and watch it after that, so I thought I'd inquire if it is any good or not from some friends online. :)

Expanse, Season 2 double premiere
Not much to say here, other than it's still as good as it was :) Great sci-fi TV show on its own as well, and even for the book readers it has some cool new material - and this time it's about Bobbie Draper, whom I sure everyone likes a lot already.

Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell
This has aired some time ago, it's a BBC miniseries adaptation of a fantasy novel. The basic premise is that magic is real, and after an age of decline it is brought back into the world, during the Napoleonic wars.
On the one hand, it has most of the good things about quality British TV shows like great characters, acting, drama, and so on. On the other hand, I really liked its unconventional approaches for how magic is used and depicted, and how the conflicts develop and get resolved. So it's not just "Harry Potter for adults" :)

Love the Expanse, was a great Season 2 opener as well. Really looking forward to where they take the series, not knowing anything about the books. Really enjoy Thomas Jane's and Shohreh Aghdashloo's work in this show. A majority of the cast perform really well but those two actors stand out for me.

I think I can see where they take Bobbie Draper in the show but I also like surprises, so we'll see :)

Back