All purpose Sales and Sales Rumors and Anecdotes [2016 Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.
How many of those titles were expected to do the same numbers as fallout 4 or battlefront? FO4 moved 12 mil in its first month and battlefront moved 12 million over the holidays.

It depends on your expectations. Bethesda's franchise RPGs come out infrequently so there is pent up demand which is further bolstered by a massive community driving mods which contributes to a long sales tail. It's unrealistic to expect the same from other AA/AAA holidays games.

Apparently over 2 millions PS4 have being sold during BF week worldwide (minus one remaining day).

From a guy working for Ubisoft.

https://twitter.com/SunnyGearSolid/status/802459865113382913

Possibly. Interesting enough, something I wanted to point out is that the numbers provided by NPD are so off mark from the full numbers that publishers have.

That being said, would be surprised if WW they sold 2 million WD PS4 bundles, I didn't think WD2 would have such a pull compared to other bundles.

Edit: heck to be honest I didn't even know there was a watch dogs bundle. Wtf. LOL

Last edited:
Possibly. Interesting enough, something I wanted to point out is that the numbers provided by NPD are so off mark from the full numbers that publishers have.

That being said, would be surprised if WW they sold 2 million WD PS4 bundles, I didn't think WD2 would have such a pull compared to other bundles.

Edit: heck to be honest I didn't even know there was a watch dogs bundle. Wtf. LOL

He says nothing about WD bundles. The comment presumably refers to total PS4 sales (which he belatedly tries to tie in to WD2).

Not sure how he'd know that info either. The tweet is odd. I wasn't aware there was some kind of worldwide repository of sales granular to the day level, LOL.

He wasn't going off Chartz or something stupid, was he?

I think Xbox will win the US market over black friday weekend. It was already doing well there and the deals on Xbox One S have been better than PS4.

I still cant see it, though I'd be a little more open to the possibility now.

I mean to me it looks like a close race between Vanilla PS4 and XBo. The problem for XBO is you then have to throw in 40% (or some substantial number) additional PS4 Pro's sold (or something, number just for illustration).

Obviously that's not counting the Pro pre-orders + first week and a half sales. It's just for BF week so basically slims vs slims

He says nothing about WD bundles. The comment presumably refers to total PS4 sales (which he belatedly tries to tie in to WD2).

Not sure how he'd know that info either. The tweet is odd. I wasn't aware there was some kind of worldwide repository of sales granular to the day level, LOL.

He wasn't going off Chartz or something stupid, was he?
If he works for Ubisoft, he's looking at sales figures that are directly or indirectly bundled/purchased with WD2. They have those numbers, both digitally, by code, or just a specific SKU.

He likely does not have access to WW PS4 total sales, he would need an a very reliable internal source at Sony to provide him that info over the weekend ??, and there's no reason for him to promote Sony's numbers on his own account. He is likely looking at WD2 numbers.

It does not surprise me, as this falls in line with their other AAA unit numbers WW. There's a lot of emphasis on NPD, but I assure you, it's not nearly the whole picture.
I'm not saying this is definitely the case, but I wouldn't dismiss it either. Any employee of Ubisoft may have received an email/newsletter on their BF successes (there are incentives for employees to make the best possible game, units sold (and possibly other metrics) increase their pay IIRC).

Black Friday week in UK:

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...-and-moon-is-nintendos-biggest-ever-uk-launch

PS4 - 142,578 (very slightly up from last year 139k +2%, best BF week since launch)
Xbox One - 92,578 (quite down from last year 134k -31%)

It's like I thought: XB1s couldn't sustain its momentum in UK because prices were already slashed the previous months.
Interesting! Unfortunately being part of the NA market, I didn't get a good look at EU. Were the deals great this BF over there?

Both Slim and Pro are out of stock on amazon.com (until december 6). That's going to shift cyber-monday sales to december.

I don't understand how amazon calculates, how can "hourly" sales put Slim at #1 if it's been out of stock since yesterday?

EDIT: okay, answering my own question, it's only "out of stock" sporadically. They also keep changing the price.

Last edited:
Both Slim and Pro are out of stock on amazon.com (until december 6). That's going to shift cyber-monday sales to december.

I don't understand how amazon calculates, how can "hourly" sales put Slim at #1 if it's been out of stock since yesterday?

EDIT: okay, answering my own question, it's only "out of stock" sporadically. They also keep changing the price.
Yea, after this past BF sale on Amazon, I wouldn't put too much stock in the way they position things anymore.

They will find ways to inflate whatever product they need to move to the top to maximize profits/their own agenda. For instance these Sennheisers I bought. Ridiculously priced for BF, but the reality is, they were always this price (had to research everyone to find out). I should have realized that, they made the discount look like $150 dollar off, but in reality it's a cans made specifically for Amazon. It's definitely Sennheiser quality, but lacking a case and a bag, and inability to break down just makes no sense for headphones made for mobile. Like wtf am I supposed to do with this thing? Hang it around my neck at all times? Stupid, I do regret the purchase a bit, too cheap too be perfect; all my previous Senns had cases, so I made a mistake of assuming.

So honestly, I dunno. Burned and I'm venting a little.

Anyway, you probably want this view from Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/2016-11/videogames

Not sure how up to date that is, here is another view
https://www.amazon.com/gp/movers-and-shakers/videogames/ref=zg_bsar_tab_t_bsms

Anyway, you probably want this view from Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/2016-11/videogames

Haven't bothered to look at these in a long time, but it looks like PS4+PS4-P should win November unless XBO did quite well for Black Friday and Cyber Monday.

Also, not a trace of PSVR (or I missed it in the list somehow)? Either demand has died off (it IS quite expensive for your average consumer) or Sony doesn't have the ability to make that many of them. Even Kinect managed to stay relevant in sales rankings for multiple months. Of course, it was also much cheaper.

Regards,
SB

Haven't bothered to look at these in a long time, but it looks like PS4+PS4-P should win November unless XBO did quite well for Black Friday and Cyber Monday.

Also, not a trace of PSVR (or I missed it in the list somehow)? Either demand has died off (it IS quite expensive for your average consumer) or Sony doesn't have the ability to make that many of them. Even Kinect managed to stay relevant in sales rankings for multiple months. Of course, it was also much cheaper.

Regards,
SB
Amazon is not reliable anymore because of the very high number of XB1 bundles.

Either demand has died off (it IS quite expensive for your average consumer) or Sony doesn't have the ability to make that many of them.
Or it's sold out because demand is too high and Sony can't produce more PSVR ? :rolleyes:

Or it's sold out because demand is too high and Sony can't produce more PSVR ? :rolleyes:

Which I already addressed if you read my post.

... or Sony doesn't have the ability to make that many of them.

If they are sold out and Sony can make a lot of them, then it'd be on the sales ranking.

Regards,
SB

There are 3 views that Amazon provides. Monthly, hourly, and the last 24 hours.

You might be able to get a good idea where things stand with Amazon based on that.

If I had to make a bet, I would bet on Sony for NPD this month. But that's because of the combined numbers. Otherwise I think he situation would be close.

Looking at the Amazon situation now with the PSVR, it's still mirroring the Oculus Rift and HTC Vive launches. Demand is still there as evidence by the high price gouging of resellers and smaller independent sellers on Amazon Marketplace. 729 USD and up for a starter bundle and 510 USD and up for the PSVR.

So it looks like either Sony chose to go with a low manufacturing volume for the PSVR representing lack of faith in its ability to sell, or they just couldn't get it manufactured in large quantities. Still higher volume than the Rift or Vive, however.

Regards,
SB

So it looks like either Sony chose to go with a low manufacturing volume for the PSVR representing lack of faith in its ability to sell...
Or sensible caution despite perhaps huge faith in the product. "I believe it can sell 5 million by January 2017, but we'll only make 2 million just in case I'm wrong."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back