3440x1440

So I decided to go with 3440x1440 (LG34UC88) to go along with my new system, and the revelation that I've been playing console games and games at 1080p for far to long was jarring.

The UWHD display is simply incredible for immersion in games and productivity. It's a huge benefit to be able to see that many columns on an Excel spreadsheet without having to freeze panes and scroll across the screen. And Civ V is like a completely different game at this resolution. You can actually see the detail of the units, you can tell the difference between mines and quarries and other terrain improvements, and you can actually tell which way the rivers are running because the water is actually flowing in one direction! Of course, you can see far more of the map as well.

Anyway, it's just a fantastic experience. I highly recommend it for anybody that has the real estate on their desk.

Is that a qhd ultrawide ?
ive been a big fan of those for gaming they have a much better aspect ratio than 16:9

i use 3x 5:4 17inch(3840x1024) and from a FOV perspective it is really good. From a my panels are like 10 years old and compared to modern panels they are crap, its not very good.....lol

getting a ultrawide 1440P or greater is on my list of things to do :)

I originally had 3x 16:10 displays but switched to a 34" 21:9 and doubt I'd ever go any different again. Just love the ultrawide displays. I think the only upgrade I'd look at in a couple of years would be a higher dpi and curved.

So I decided to go with 3440x1440 (LG34UC88)

Welcome to the club!
Make sure to disable the annoying buzzing sound every time you press the button/dpad. I only figured that out some 4 months after I got it. The damn thing even woke up my baby a couple of times!

Also, keep in mind that while some (older) games don't natively support 21:9, you can usually find some good 21:9 mods and solutions at widescreen gaming forums.
I needed a patch for playing MGS V, for example.

Welcome to the club!
Make sure to disable the annoying buzzing sound every time you press the button/dpad. I only figured that out some 4 months after I got it. The damn thing even woke up my baby a couple of times!

Great tip, I didn't know it could be turned off. First thing I'll do when I get home!

Also, Freesync seems to be disabled by default, which is ridiculous.

Oh and you can increase the Freesync range to 40-75Hz, which is a whole lot better than the default 50-75Hz.
There's a very simply app to do that. If you don't find it together with the instructions, let me know and I'll check on my browser history back at home.

GTX1070, so no Freesync and 60Hz max for me.

Apparently, I can overclock it but from what I read it will actually drop frames if you do. I don't think I have enough umpf to run games at 3440x1440 at all Ultra Settings over 60fps anyway.

I don't see why you would be limited to 75Hz. As long as you use displayport, 75Hz should be an option in the video settings.

This thing is expensive, but would be a great replacement for my 32 inch 16:9 monitor.
http://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-38UC99-W-ultrawide-monitor
PANEL
Screen Size 37.5" Curved
Panel Type IPS
Color Gamut (CIE 1931) sRGB over 99%
Color Depth (Number of Colors) 10bits (8bit+FRC), 1.07B
Pixel Pitch (mm) 0.229 mm x 0.229 mm
Response Time 14ms / 5ms GTG
Refresh Rate 60 Hz / 75Hz with Display Port with FreeSync
Aspect Ratio 21:9
Resolution 3840 x 1600
Brightness 300 cd/m2
Contrast Ratio Mega
Viewing Angle 178 / 178

I did read about, it does have some issue where nvidia cards run at 60Hz or 75Hz with frame skipping, showing 60Hz.

Other than that there were comments about how there's nothing better for showing three windows side by side, another comment about how you can run very old games at 2560x1600, then comments about this guy being nuts for buying a monitor to show large black bars, then counter-comments including one from a 2560x1600 veteran who likes the significantly better pixel height.

The conversation had a bit of flowery language but yes, what a beast monitor :LOL:

Do they have a flat version? I've never been a fan of curved tv's but maybe it works better on a monitor?

I've thought about buying a ultra wide monitor for a while last year but came to the conclusion that A. these days I'm playing almost all my games on my TV and B. My R9 290 is probably not going to like anything above 1080p when aiming for 60fps.

I'll buy one when we have 500 YFC GPU's that can run at those resolutions with high settings at 60fps.

Back