AMD Radeon finally back into laptops?

Because they seem to follow your sort of reasoning, ever since the 6970 generation, which is was designed to simply match GTX480 and caught with their pants down when NVidia launched GTX580.
I doubt that was the case. These companies can't react to each other in the short term like that. Cayman just wasn't as aggressive a product as GF110. Compare the die sizes and power consumption. AMD was trying to win by building dual GPU cards instead of engineering huge dies.

Cayman was also originally to be 32nm instead of 40nm which may have made it suck more than planned. :)

Last edited:
Yeah, it looks like the comparable Tonga-based M395X had a boost clock of only 909 MHz (not to mention the older M390X's 723 MHz boost), so the embedded variant had a healthy advertised bump from that. I suppose that helps explain the E9260's unusually high calculated boost clock. Maybe AMD marketing is rounding to the nearest half TFLOPS?

Well shoot, part of me was hoping for an example of GCN 4's higher clock headroom to support that recent 1.5ish GHz 64 CU Vega rumor. Oh well.

Polaris 10 part gets rated at 5.8

I was thinking that maybe they're using the full chip but they put up the 14CUs there clear as well.

I do find very surprising that not a single Polaris 11 model was made for the back-to-school season so far, though.
That's definitely not good news.

I was also wondering the same thing. Been waiting for a laptop with a Polaris 11/GP107 and definitely expected Polaris 11 laptops by the time Kaby Lake launched.
The math is straightforward - AMD is promising 2.5 TFLOPs on 14 CUs - but I agree it's one of the weirder parts of the announcement. The official specs for the Embedded Radeons have been weird off and on over the years.

1.4 Ghz for the embedded parts just seems off when the RX460 desktop card is at 1.2 Ghz. And at only 50W.
I'm done feeding troll accusations of "abysmal performance" of a GPU that currently has pretty much no competition at its price point.
Feel free to cross the entire online-sphere to find a graphics card that goes for as low as $90 with the same kind of performance from the competition.
When you do, you'll have a point..

How about the GTX950 which also goes for as low as $90 and has the same kind of performance as the RX 460?

Wow, where I live the GTX 950 is still at least ~145 EUR:
http://geizhals.de/?cat=gra16_512&xf=9810_5+1573+-+GTX+950#xf_top
Maybe the same for ToTTenTranz?

I'm from the same country of TottenTranz and they are priced at the same level:

RX460 average is around 160 - 170 euros - http://www.novoatalho.pt/Products.aspx?CategoryId=1317

GTX950 average is 160 - 170 euros - http://www.novoatalho.pt/ProductsSearch.aspx?ModelName=gtx950&Manufacter=

It is not the first time that I comment with German friends that AMD cards are very very cheap there!

Last edited:
Wow, where I live the GTX 950 is still at least ~145 EUR:
http://geizhals.de/?cat=gra16_512&xf=9810_5+1573+-+GTX+950#xf_top
Maybe the same for ToTTenTranz?
I dont know where he lives..he posted a Newegg link with a USD price so I provided the same. I am aware that the price is after rebate but so is the RX460. Basically both cards have been available in the range of $90-$100. Either ways..most reviews of the RX460 did compare it to the GTX950. Its not exactly a big a secret that they compete in the same segment. I do wonder when we're going to see a fully enabled 16CU Polaris 11. AMD faces more competition with the GTX 1050 coming soon.

I'm still a bit surprised at the launch of the embedded parts before they've launched the mobile parts (AFAIK only an RX470 in an Alienware laptop so far). At this rate GP107 will turn up in a laptop before Polaris 11.

Last edited:
How about the GTX950 which also goes for as low as $90 and has the same kind of performance as the RX 460?
(...)
I dont know where he lives..he posted a Newegg link with a USD price so I provided the same. I am aware that the price is after rebate but so is the RX460.
Maybe that was a special promo from that day? When I did the search at newegg last week when I was writing the post, the cheapest GTX 950 was $120 + shipping and the RX 460 was (still is) $90.
That link right now shows $110 after rebate + $4 shipping = $114 (from a $140 base price).
This RX460 still has the same price and it's $85 after $15 rebate and $10 promo code + $5 shipping = $90. Even after the October promotion the GTX 950 is still 14% more expensive.. assuming there aren't other promos to replace it.

Regardless, nvidia/retailers are going down in price with the cut-down version of a 230mm^2 chip in order to compete with a 125mm^2 chip that is also cut-down. The RX460's MSRP is $99 and the GTX 950's was $150 at release.
I don't think selling the GTX 950 for $100 is exactly comfortable for nvidia. That was the price bracket for the 750 Ti.
It probably was the same for Tonga at $200 and Hawaii for $300.

On that same store, cheapest RX460 is 125€ whereas the cheapest GTX 950 is 155€...
Same goes for price aggregators, the cheapest GTX 950 is 150€ and the cheapest RX 460 is 125€. And the RX460's in Portugal is completely jacked up (like all Polaris cards so far..). In Gheizals I can find a RX 460 for 110€ and the cheapest GTX 950 is 145€ like CarstenS stated.

In Europe, the RX 460 and GTX 950 are definitely not within the same price bracket.

Touché! And as usual no answer from him when proved wrong.
Dude, chill. I had two articles to submit by Friday and then had to cook and prepare for 2 birthday parties throughout the weekend.
It's called having a life outside the forums. You should try it sometime.

I'm still a bit surprised at the launch of the embedded parts before they've launched the mobile parts (AFAIK only an RX470 in an Alienware laptop so far). At this rate GP107 will turn up in a laptop before Polaris 11.
This is definitely concerning me, too. What's the point on being the first to get to that product segment if you're not getting any design wins?
Maybe AMD is fighting brand (de)value on top of (maybe) some OEMs waiting for GP107. Maybe apple prevented them from releasing the chips to other OEMs until the new retina macbooks are formally announced.
Either way, this isn't great. AMD presented a working Polaris 11 as a chip primarily for laptops back in January and it's October already.

Maybe that was a special promo from that day? When I did the search at newegg last week when I was writing the post, the cheapest GTX 950 was $120 + shipping and the RX 460 was (still is) $90.
That link right now shows $110 after rebate + $4 shipping = $114 (from a $140 base price).
This RX460 still has the same price and it's $85 after $15 rebate and $10 promo code + $5 shipping = $90. Even after the October promotion the GTX 950 is still 14% more expensive.. assuming there aren't other promos to replace it.

Possibly..but like I said I've seen both regularly on sale in the $90-100 range (After rebate). If I had to pick I'd definitely choose the RX460 for the HEVC support though.
Regardless, nvidia/retailers are going down in price with the cut-down version of a 230mm^2 chip in order to compete with a 125mm^2 chip that is also cut-down. The RX460's MSRP is $99 and the GTX 950's was $150 at release.
I don't think selling the GTX 950 for $100 is exactly comfortable for nvidia. That was the price bracket for the 750 Ti.
It probably was the same for Tonga at $200 and Hawaii for $300.
28nm prices are so low right now and the R&D already amortised that I wouldnt be surprised if the margins on both are similar. It dosen't really matter anyway..in the end NV is choosing to sell at a lower price to compete.
This is definitely concerning me, too. What's the point on being the first to get to that product segment if you're not getting any design wins?
Maybe AMD is fighting brand (de)value on top of (maybe) some OEMs waiting for GP107. Maybe apple prevented them from releasing the chips to other OEMs until the new retina macbooks are formally announced.
Either way, this isn't great. AMD presented a working Polaris 11 as a chip primarily for laptops back in January and it's October already.

Exactly..AMD touted that they had beaten NV to the punch because NV went for the high end first. Since they had working silicon as far back as January..I was actually expecting them to show off Polaris 11 laptops at Computex in June. It is possible that Apple bought a large share of the production for the Macbooks though..rumours certainly point that way. The slated release is by the end of this month so we'll find out soon enough.

They had working silicon for the hush hush press conference in December(as Charlie reminded us) and since Polaris 10 was supposedly conceived earlier it should've made the mark as well.

Polaris 11 4GB confirmed for the new Macbook Pro 15".
Going by their numbers (2.3x Cape Verde @ 800MHz), it's probably a full 16CU chip at 1150MHz.
They're calling it the "Radeon Pro 450", but these are probably the clocks to expect from the PC version that is expected to be called RX 480M.

Starting with Radeon Pro 450/455 2GB (thats probably why MS choosed 2GB GTX 965), 4GB 460 costs you $200/100 extra.

Starting with Radeon Pro 450/455 2GB (thats probably why MS choosed 2GB GTX 965), 4GB 460 costs you $200/100 extra.

They're all Polaris 11 chips though. The store says something like "Radeon Pro are the first notebook graphics chips to be built on 14nm".
I'm guessing the 450 may have only 14 CUs like the desktop RX 460 and 1GHz, the 455 is the full chip with 2GB and the 460 is full chip + 4GB.

So pretty much as expected. Good move for AMD and should give them some decent revenue this quarter.
Polaris 11 4GB confirmed for the new Macbook Pro 15".
Going by their numbers (2.3x Cape Verde @ 800MHz), it's probably a full 16CU chip at 1150MHz.
They're calling it the "Radeon Pro 450", but these are probably the clocks to expect from the PC version that is expected to be called RX 480M.

If it is 1150 Mhz then thats quite good and a bit more than I expected. Very close to the desktop parts. I'd be interested in knowing the TDP. A slide from AMD back during the Polaris 10 launch revealed that RX480M would be a 16CU part but who knows if they'll still stick to that naming convention (When Polaris 11 finally ships in a Windows notebook...)

Heavily downclocked

specs here

http://creators.radeon.com/radeon-pro/

Radeon Pro 460 1.86 TFLOPS

16 (1024) COMPUTE UNITS (STREAM PROCESSORS)

80 GB/S MEMORY BANDWIDTH

~900 mhz Max clocks

Radeon Pro 455 1.3 TFLOPS

12 (768) COMPUTE UNITS (STREAM PROCESSORS)

80 GB/S MEMORY BANDWIDTH

Radeon Pro 450

~900 Mhz Max Clocks

1 TFLOPS

10 (640) COMPUTE UNITS (STREAM PROCESSORS)

80 GB/S MEMORY BANDWIDTH

~800 mhz Max Clocks

Last edited:
Makes sense that the clocks would have to go down.
Apple decreased their GPU power budget of 45W from the previous M370X down to 35W.

The closest nvidia has at this TDP is GM108 with ~800 GFLOPs, and that chip needs to use DDR3 on a 64bit bus to reach those levels of power consumption.

By the way, the Pro 460 seems to be running at 911MHz. It's the same frequency as the PS4 Pro.
Probably not a coincidence.

Makes sense that the clocks would have to go down.
Apple decreased their GPU power budget of 45W from the previous M370X down to 35W.

The closest nvidia has at this TDP is GM108 with ~800 GFLOPs, and that chip needs to use DDR3 on a 64bit bus to reach those levels of power consumption.

By the way, the Pro 460 seems to be running at 911MHz. It's the same frequency as the PS4 Pro.
Probably not a coincidence.

What about GP107?

What about GP107?
There's no GP107 in notebook form that we know of, yet. We don't know if it can scale down to 35W while maintaining its original power/performance curve.

Regardless, sounds more and more that Polaris 11 was almost like a "special order" from apple. The design decision may have been made before either GPU was even in production.

Back