Alien Isolation [PC]

Even better video

I wrote a mod for Alien: Isolation which adds temporal anti-aliasing. It works by hooking subroutines in the game, injecting extra code, and replacing a few shaders. The mod does all of its work in the memory of a running process, which means that no tinkering with the game's files is necessary.

SMAA (Enhanced Subpixel Morphological Antialiasing) which shipped in the game isn't enough to remove the high intensity aliasing on edges of shiny surfaces, so there's crawlies everywhere in the game.

Temporal anti-aliasing blends multiple frames together using a content-aware filter. This allows it to remove the shimmering of moving edges at a reasonable cost. The mod implements an algorithm similar to Unreal Engine 4, Uncharted 4, and Inside.

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/alienisolation/comments/508aet/alias_isolation_an_antialiasing_mod/

Last edited:
Well, it's time to replay this one more time!

Edit: Played an hour with this mod and it's really clean at 1440p, IQ is improved considerably

Last edited:
Yes, it's a shame. I only see disadvantages without it. I would have given developers more money if they would have added it later. Unfortunately, despite the many complaints CA never said a word about this aliasing issue. Probably they had not enough time and resources at the end. The lower than expacted sales did the rest.

It's amazing that almost everything is eliminated even in Full HD. There were places where the game flickered extremly without TAA. Now it's clean.

When the cinematic tools are used it can crash. It can also crash if someone changes the resolution frequently. In itself, however, I have no other problems. One could very well make screenshots with the cinematic tool.

Last edited:
That's of course true. But I found the textures in this game always somewhat low res. The TAA would't hurt too much.

Well, this temporal AA solution softens the textures a bit, but it is a very minor thing.

This solution ads a bit of sharpening so it's not that bad. Overall this is how the game should be played, it's absolutely a looker now, whereas before the patch it was a great looking game that had some serious aliasing problems. It's all so smooth and clean now :yes:

In 1440, whish i could toggle it on and off (maybe i can i haven't looked too much into it yet)

alienisolation09.25.2tvsx6.jpg

This same area is shimmering galore without tssaa

I mostly played it on a GTX 970 with 4x DSR. Looked super that way too. I have a 720p 50" TV and its 1360x760 native resolution has turned out to be a strange benefit for DSR use. 2720x1536 usually doesn't overwork the 970.

But temporal AA certainly has come into its own!

I beat the game on nightmare a few months ago. Not sure I'm ready to go at it again yet. ;) I think I've beaten it 3 times....

Last edited:
Wow this looks incredible with the TAA mod. Time to play it again, this time all the way through!

I think that's basically how the game was meant to be played originally but TAA wasn't as popular back in 2014, or at least not as well documented as it is now. I think with this mod A:I is one of the best looking games you can play on PC, with only facial animations looking somewhat dated.

Best ad for TAA ever ^^
I was really impressed by the game, especially its design where they really captured the essence of the first film look.
Wish I had the game on pc instead of ps4!

It's the magic button.

If someone doesn't know. Don't forget this mod for far better LODs and a much higher shadow resolution: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?l=german&id=324612199

I wanted to say that there could be sometimes problems with the DOF with the TAA mod enabled. But since he constantly updates the mod maybe the issues will be eliminated at some time.

If the game is started with the cinematic tool there will be missing a lot of smoke effects.

Last edited:
And aparently this implementation is not even trying to do any reprojection. Is that right?

Back