Sony Playstation Meeting September 7 2016 [PS4 Slim, PS4 Pro, Rumors, Speculations, and News]

there is no reason graphics options alter your pickup and play experience...
Except psychology! Knowing there are options, technically minded people will be drawn to fiddle. Consoles impose a wilful ignorance that alleviates users of many of those choices, leaving us to both enjoy the games and grumble about the devs' decisions without needing to accept responsibility ourselves.

rL9Glzy.png

Wow, so sexy. I'd have bought this. Mockup by kaisersephirot

Last edited:
I seriously doubt we'll see any checkerboard rendering at resolutions other than 4K(pro) and 1080p(ps4). Otherwise you're chaining filters, which is bad.

Sony discourages devs from using 1440p, and recommend using checkerboard IF you can't reach at least 1800p. This seems to imply they consider 4K checkerboard crispness visually equivalent to 1800p. Eurogamer corroborates this with their discussions with devs and hands-on impressions.
Now this is very interesting, 1800p being the baseline is actually really good.
rL9Glzy.png

Wow, so sexy. I'd have bought this. Mockup by kaisersephirot
Needs to be white.

So have we heard any rumors/news about exchanges on pro purchases?
Do you mean like console trade-ins? because I doubt Sony would take part in one of those; You should just keep an eye on local gaming shops.
Places like gamestop should have one running around launch.

I was looking at a 4k monitor in a store and looked up the 4k video for Horizon: Zero Dawn. Damn, it looks great.

Also decided right then and there that my first 4k monitor, even for PC, is a) going to be 24" most likely, and b) more than 300 cd/m2 (nit ;) ), and c) probably an IPS or perhaps VA. Also, the store was using HDMI in 30hz mode (I think that monitor only supports 60hz on DisplayPort)

So no screens/gameplay from games running in 1080 other than paragon in the PS meeting? yet you have like more than a handful of games shown running in 4K already.

I think they may simply not be ready to show these modes off but if its just to sell 4K screens its sort of a cheap strategy from sony especially because you have to see these released videos on a 4K/HDR screen to fully appreciate them.

It's interesting that they used a RX 480 vs a RX 470 due to console efficiencies. Thats a 1.3+ Tflop gap. This would mean a Scorpio PC equivalent would probably scale even higher to a Fury X.

The main reason seems to be the 8GB of RAM that it comes with as opposed to only 4GB on the 470. They do effectively say that the extra power of the 480 can't hurt given console efficiencies, but the memory size appears to be the primary driver. Also, I think the CPU is overkill, they'd be better using the cheaper FX6300.

I'm feeling worse about my 1070 purchase now. Thanks guys.

Why? It's way more capable than the PS4P is and can likely do at native 4K what the new PS4 can do at checkerboard 4K. The PS4P's big (huge) advantage right now is support for HDR IMO. Sure the 1070 and all modern PC GPU's are capable of that, but there are no games as far as I'm aware on the PC that support HDR. And of course there are no PC HDR monitors yet either. I'd say the PC is 6 months to a year behind PlayStation in that regard right now. Given I can't afford a decent HDR display at the moment it's of no practical concern to me, but on paper, Playstation does have that big advantage IMO.

Why? It's way more capable than the PS4P is and can likely do at native 4K what the new PS4 can do at checkerboard 4K. The PS4P's big (huge) advantage right now is support for HDR IMO. Sure the 1070 and all modern PC GPU's are capable of that, but there are no games as far as I'm aware on the PC that support HDR. And of course there are no PC HDR monitors yet either. I'd say the PC is 6 months to a year behind PlayStation in that regard right now. Given I can't afford a decent HDR display at the moment it's of no practical concern to me, but on paper, Playstation does have that big advantage IMO.
Performance per dollar I guess is my only regret. I just paid $655 tax in for my 1070 gigabyte G1. It's $499 for a PSPro ($565 tax in), and will likely be for Scorpio when it's released. But having read this thread and carefully considering the optimization that go into console games, it does make both of these mid generation machines fairly good at their price point.

When i factor in SSD, memory, CPU, Mobo, case, monitor... , PSU, The list just keeps going on. I'm running thousand of dollars, where if i decided way back to stop investing in PC entirely I could get away with $565 every 3 years and new TV every 6-9 years.

it's OT. I set aside money for this long ago, I'm just not confident about whether gaming at this price point makes as much sense as it once did when I was younger.

Anyway it's fine. PC do a lot more than just gaming, I've got access to great CUDA here and perhaps I have some uses for data science yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Still wondering how much of a damn the average consumer is gonna give about any of these halfmeasure machines. When digital foundry highlights frame pacing issues or spots differences between platforms using a magnifying lense, they tend to use such colorful terms as "revelatory". I'm afraid the only thing revelatory to the average consumer will be the fact that he's being asked to spend 400 dollars on differences he can barely perceive. (If you actually believe most people give a damn about stuff like anisotrophic filtering, or a bunch of dropped frames, or about the sub par shadow draw distance in Fallout 4, you really need to get out more). It's an incredibly poor ROI compared to the tried and true generational leap, and judging by the PS meeting, it's appropriately tough to market as well.

Still wondering how much of a damn the average consumer is gonna give about any of these halfmeasure machines. When digital foundry highlights frame pacing issues or spots differences between platforms using a magnifying lense, they tend to use such colorful terms as "revelatory". I'm afraid the only thing revelatory to the average consumer will be the fact that he's being asked to spend 400 dollars on differences he can barely perceive. (If you actually believe most people give a damn about stuff like anisotrophic filtering, or a bunch of dropped frames, or about the sub par shadow draw distance in Fallout 4, you really need to get out more). It's an incredibly poor ROI compared to the tried and true generational leap, and judging by the PS meeting, it's appropriately tough to market as well.

I suppose the same could be said about the Scorpio as well. As I fully expect there to not be much of a difference unless you want to use a 4K display.

Back